Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:55 PM
bouddha
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is .17HMR cleaner than .22LR?

I just performed the first post-shooting clean on my new CZ, (75 rounds +/-), and the patches showed remarkably little powder residue and NO color! Five patches, including dry & lube, and I was done.

Had to be the cleanest of any gun I ever shot...Hornady & CCI ammo.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:27 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Boy, that has not been my experience.

I spend three times as long cleaning my 17's than my .22's.

More carbon for sure, and of course some copper.

What cleaning products are you using?
Same question on equipment (rods with patches and brushes or pull though's)?

I have four .17hmrs with more than 25,000 rounds down the tubes.

Smooth
Old 03-23-2016, 09:16 PM
bouddha

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
White cotton flannel patches, wet with Shooters Choice/Kroil 50-50. I leave bore wet with Eezox as a lube, and it does make next clean a snap, but nothing like this.

Last edited by bouddha; 03-23-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 12:21 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would run a nylon and/or a bronze brush down the bore.

I have found that Bore Tech carbon cleaner breaks down carbon much better than any other cleaner or combinations that I've tried.
I do use Kroil on a barrel that I may not clean for a day or two as a holding agent. I then mop it out and move on with Bore Tech Eliminator (1/2 BT carbon cleaner and 1/2 BT copper cleaner).

Shooters Choice is one of the very few cleaners I have no experience with.

Leaving anything in the bore (oil, Eezoz ect.) may not be the best idea. Fluids don't compress, and a firing a round down a barrel that's wet is something I never do.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 03-24-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:40 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have never really compared the 17 and 22, but it seems counterintuitive that 17 would be any different. Mine is always dirty after a round of shooting a box or two of ammo.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:57 PM
bouddha

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink

Smooth-

Shooter's Choice & Kroil has been my standard cleaning solution since my benchrest competition days. That same solution showed black patches thru my Ruger MK II pistol bore, the .17 HMR only light gray. I have extensive experience with everything from .220 Swift to 6mm TallDog on prairie dog towns, including .17 Rem, .17 Mach IV, .204, .20 VarTarg, 6 PPC, 6 BR, 6.5 BR, 6.5x47 Lapua...they ALL cleaned up with that solution, as have all my rimfires (.22LR only till now). I didn't use a brush due to the amount of rounds and the lack of nasty on the patches. It's just hard to imagine a great deal of carbon being ironed on the inside of the bbl. I will try the brush this weekend (I've been wrong before...ask the guys that watched me clean that two year old .220 Swift for a solid 45 minutes before shooting its best group ever in a Varmint Shoot!)

The Eezox in the bore dries in less than a half hour and leaves only a minute film. I leave all freshly cleaned bores with a wet patch run thru, and many others do as well. Never have or heard of a problem.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:47 PM
flintknapper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Leaving anything in the bore (oil, Eezoz ect.) may not be the best idea. Fluids don't compress, and a firing a round down a barrel that's wet is something I never do.
Any liquid left in a barrel (minute amounts) should not present a problem. While it is true liquids can not (measurably) be compressed, they are not 'captured' in the barrel. They are free to move.

Additionally, most bullets will allow a certain amount of gas to pass around them before they obturate and make a seal. So any liquid residue (along with the air in the barrel) is expelled ahead of the bullet. The gas is traveling faster than the bullet.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:28 PM
cheatermk3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which Shooter's choice are you using...My CZ shows royal blue patches after 75 rounds using Bore-tech copper remover--
Old 03-25-2016, 11:41 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When you said wet, I interpreted that as in sloppy wet.

Maybe Eezox is preventing any signifacant carbon or copper deposits, however I have my reservations about that.

The next time you have a need for more cleaner pick up some Bore Tech and give it a try.

Smooth
Old 03-26-2016, 11:30 AM
bouddha

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have numerous other bore cleaners, including Bore Tech and Butch's Bore Shine. Tried Sweets years ago. If a standard cleaning doesn't give the results I'm looking for I clean again with something more aggressive. If it doesn't call for more stringent measures, I stick with Shooter's Choice & Kroil. It's a bit milder than Hoppe's #9 Benchrest, I believe, but has done what I've asked it to do for 25 years.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I just cleaned my 1717D Llja barreled .17hmr.
This barrel is highly lapped.

Changed my cleaning regime slightly as a test.
Not shouting, just using bold for an emphasis.

I ran a dozen patches of Bore Tech Elimnator, and then a dozen patches of Bore Tech Carbon cleaner, and they were looking basically clean at the end of the that.

So what was different was that I didn't' run a bronze bush down the bore.
As soon as I did that the next patch came out looking like a piece of charcoal.

That made me wonder if you never use bronze brushes on your barrels.
That may explain our different opinions on how much cleaning is required.

Barrel had 273 rounds through it and after just patching it my bore-scope showed visible carbon (no copper) still in the barrel.
Now if I had left the carbon cleaner in there for 20-30 minutes it may have dissolved most of it.
I wouldn't know because I always use a bronze brush.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 04-04-2016 at 11:25 PM.