Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 AM
jholtz

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Thanks Eric!

I have a 795 so both will be required for a complete DIP upgrade.

Jim
Old 09-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Eric0424
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholtz View Post
Thanks Eric!

I have a 795 so both will be required for a complete DIP upgrade.

Jim
You'll like the upgrade, I do with the DIP parts on my 60.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 AM
.22 LongRifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face M60 Trigger Sucks!!!!!

Hey every body, For the ones that said I should give this marlin a try AFTER I get it, and not put it down to the point that the trigger sucks, your are right, BUT, I all ready knew how bad it was because I tryed it out at the gun shop a few days before I went and got it. Besides the creep and over travel the trigger pull was 8 3/4 pounds. Thats as high as the gun shops trigger scales go. So once again, this trigger stinks!!!! I now own it because no one would buy it at the store. Sending it back to Marlin did nothing, the gun came back unchanged with a statement from Marlin saying that the gun was check out and nothing was found wrong, and the trigger was with in thier standards. Needless to say the gun shop owner was not a happy camper. Thats where I came in, I got this gun for a unheard stupid price. I will or won't to get the DIP T/G and trigger but as in one or two post's above said the DPI T/G won't fit all M60s. The M60 I have was made in 2009, I think. First 2 numbers of the serial number is 91. I'm I right? Thank you all very much for jumping in on this, I love reading all the post. .22 LongRifle
Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Eric0424
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .22 LongRifle View Post
Hey every body, For the ones that said I should give this marlin a try AFTER I get it, and not put it down to the point that the trigger sucks, your are right, BUT, I all ready knew how bad it was because I tryed it out at the gun shop a few days before I went and got it. Besides the creep and over travel the trigger pull was 8 3/4 pounds. Thats as high as the gun shops trigger scales go. So once again, this trigger stinks!!!! I now own it because no one would buy it at the store. Sending it back to Marlin did nothing, the gun came back unchanged with a statement from Marlin saying that the gun was check out and nothing was found wrong, and the trigger was with in thier standards. Needless to say the gun shop owner was not a happy camper. Thats where I came in, I got this gun for a unheard stupid price. I will or won't to get the DIP T/G and trigger but as in one or two post's above said the DPI T/G won't fit all M60s. The M60 I have was made in 2009, I think. First 2 numbers of the serial number is 91. I'm I right? Thank you all very much for jumping in on this, I love reading all the post. .22 LongRifle
Yeah, it should be 2009 and that trigger does sound like it sucks. The DIP trigger guard will fit your rifle without a problem.

The Marlin 60's that don't fit are the earlier model rifles, early to pre-1980's I believe, with round-back trigger guards. Bottom stock pictured below.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:14 PM
DanTSX

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
60/795 triggers are serviceable. Not bad but not great. Their big drawback is inconsistant pre-travel takeup.

The triggers DO break-in vert nicely though. They improve substantially after only 200-300 rounds, and after a few thousand, they are not bad at all. That being said, I will get the DIP combo for my M60SS because I am trying to perfect it.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:24 AM
Crazy Carl
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Trigger in my 60 is actually pretty decent. I'm not trigger guru, but this gun is shooting Federal Bulk very, VERY well, so the trigger's at least not bothering me. And, I know it will smooth out very nicely, so I'm not complaining. Pretty good now & likely getting better? I can live with that.

Don't think I want to mod my 60dlx much. I was happy as a clam shooting my old 99M1 & never did anything but clean it (often poorly) every once in a while. Just ran & ran & ran, till the sear got whonky & it started doubling

I will, however be giving that 99M1 a thorough rebuild/refresh & refinish & am thinking about trying the DIP trigger in it.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:18 AM
mbossman2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i also just got an M60. Compared to my Savage with an accutrigger, the M60 trigger is significantly different but in no way does it "suck". it's just different.

if I had bought the M60 to be an ultra precise, bench rest shooter, I'd be bummed out. I bought mine as a fun plinker for things the Ruger Rimfire challenge and for that purpose it is perfecly fine: quick firing, accurate for the 8 or 12 inch plates at 50m (made a ragged 3" hole in my target at 25m with the 1st 100 rounds and a ragged 4" hole at 50m with the next 100, off hand), FTFs or FTEs no matter how fast I fired.

If I want dime sized groups, I pull out my Savage Mark II, if I want, what is referred to as "minute of squirrel" shots, the Marlin certainly fits the bill.

it all boils down to expectations and the right tool for the right job
Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Once you put in the DIP trigger group, it's going to give you dime-sized groups.

The Marlin trigger is what they call "Lawyered", meaning it tends to be a bit heavy in poundage to satisfy legal issues.

Fortunately, DIP triggers resolve the issue nicely

I prefer the DIP trigger group, as it is all-aluminium and pre-drilled for an over-travel screw, as well as having the adjustable screw in the trigger to remove creep. They replaced the push-pins with screw-pins, which are SO MUCH BETTER!!! It is THE best solution to the basic Marlin OEM trigger/trigger guard.

Look, they're $100 rifles, nobody in their right mind expects a 2# trigger out of a $100 rifle
If you find one like that, you got lucky.
Marlin spends the majority of their 795 budget on the Button-rifled Microgroove barrel...everything else is secondary.
With good reason, because that medium-weight tapered barrel has the potential to outshoot everything else in it's class
if you do YOUR homework.

Homework...lol
Polish the bolt.
Polish the trigger/hammer mating or just get a drop-in DIP trigger or trigger group.
Pillar-bed the action.
Sling.
Bipod.
Get the Adjustable Target rear sight from Marlin or Numrich. Or Tech-sights, peep-sights, or scope.
(Williams FP peeps & Tech-sights are better, and a quality scope is best, IMHO)

That's all you need to make your Marlin a CZ-killer, and even with all that added, it's STILL way less expensive