0% (0)
WSM Shot Show news?

Buehler? Buehler?
Old 01-21-2020, 06:54 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm sure Eric Mayer is there and he's kind of our rimfire field reporter so if there is anything new in the rimfire world, particularly with the 17 WSM, he'll let us know.

I'm curious to hear if Eric makes his annual trip over to the HS Precision booth to talk to them about the one and only, never going to sell, 17 WSM rifle they built a few years ago.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:56 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I'm sure Eric Mayer is there and he's kind of our rimfire field reporter so if there is anything new in the rimfire world, particularly with the 17 WSM, he'll let us know.

I'm curious to hear if Eric makes his annual trip over to the HS Precision booth to talk to them about the one and only, never going to sell, 17 WSM rifle they built a few years ago.
It would be nice if they built a few thousand more of them!!!

Rick
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 12:46 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Signalman @ SHOT says CZ won't be making any 17WSMs.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
That's too bad.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:49 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post

Is anyone really surprised by that though?!

I talked to CZ a couple years ago about the chances of them making a 17 WSM. It was kind of a funny conversation and asked me if I was family with the saying, wish in one hand, blank in the other. After we both got done laughing, I told him I was very familiar with that saying and he said good, now you know your chances of CZ ever making a 17 WSM any time soon.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:36 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
I genuinely don't understand the firearm world. It is full of paradox, cz built its reputation on old world craftsmanship. Traditional wood and deep beautiful bluing at a price that seemed almost to good to be true.

As it progressed it went more and more tacticool, and while I understand the market is changing its also a crowded market. Seems like everybody and their brother has an ugly amorphous prs or tacitard rifle. While it seems prudent to chase that segment, don't give up on the core consumer. When the tactitard phase goes out, will they still have the core group covered.

They make a 17 Remington, a far less popular cartridge than the 17 wsm at least in availability. They release more and more custom handguns into a very crowded market, but scoff traditional markets or potential new ones. (my guess is they just truly lack any form of engineering prowess)

Leupold is in a similar tract with the lrp and vx freedom lines.

Then out of left field ruger releases super oddball 57 pistol, my guess it will sell really well initially. But what about a face lift on the mag, that would likely sell pretty well and the tooling exists. Or some modern autoloader of the 44 carbine.

Just curious who the demographic is that they are all chasing. My main hobby is guns and hunting, and a lot of money is spent on it. But its going more and more to boutique companies as they are wiling to get in front of my needs as a consumer.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:16 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Is anyone really surprised by that though?!

I talked to CZ a couple years ago about the chances of them making a 17 WSM. It was kind of a funny conversation and asked me if I was family with the saying, wish in one hand, blank in the other. After we both got done laughing, I told him I was very familiar with that saying and he said good, now you know your chances of CZ ever making a 17 WSM any time soon.

Absolutely not surprised. They redesigned their rimfire rifles action less strong, starting with the 455 and apparently don't want to spend any money to design a rimfire bolt and feed system for the 527. Had CZ jumped in early, I really think they could have cornered the market with a $650 527 17WSM. Maybe that was Savage's grand Bmag plan, produce a new caliber and rifle that's so awful the competition was laughing. Then against all odds pull off what has turned out to be a major miracle turn around.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:45 PM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zermatt might be the 1st one out of the blocks for new 17wsm in 2020, thou Volquartsen are telling those who have placed orders on the summit to expect about a 6 month wait.

either way exciting times especially if Bergara and Vudoo jump into the ring ......
Old 01-22-2020, 09:47 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
I genuinely don't understand the firearm world. It is full of paradox, cz built its reputation on old world craftsmanship. Traditional wood and deep beautiful bluing at a price that seemed almost to good to be true.

As it progressed it went more and more tacticool, and while I understand the market is changing its also a crowded market. Seems like everybody and their brother has an ugly amorphous prs or tacitard rifle.
And we won't mention their hideous wood stock billboard branding. Is weed legal there also?
Old 01-22-2020, 09:47 PM
Steve540

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ are followers, just too conservative to attempt something as revolutionary as a 17wsm

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story...uns-shot-show/
Old 01-22-2020, 10:32 PM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bummer there’s no good quality mid-range priced rifles this year. The 527 would be a simple Conversion one would think.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:11 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve540 View Post
Zermatt might be the 1st one out of the blocks for new 17wsm in 2020, thou Volquartsen are telling those who have placed orders on the summit to expect about a 6 month wait.

either way exciting times especially if Bergara and Vudoo jump into the ring ......
Talked to Mike Bush w/Vudoo Gun Works a few days ago, he said they have zero interest in doing a 17 WSM. Guess that just leaves us with Zermatt Arms and their new RimX action, but I haven't heard if they are going to build complete guns or just sell actions that'll work for a 17 WSM build.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:41 AM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Doesn’t bode well for the WSM.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:01 AM
Tgilmer

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Wsm

I wish Sako, NULA, or Tikka would build a gun around this round. I am anxious to see what is involved in the RIMX barrel switch system. Personally I think the Remington 700 platform is the best option for customizing. But both Zermatt and Vudoo need to make a flush mount magazine option. Everyone needs to remember that the 17wsm runs at 33,000 psi vs the HMR 26,000 psi. I'm sure a lot of manufacturers are hesitant to just modify existing actions. That combined with inconsistent ammo has limited sales. The only way this will get better would be if Ammo was offered in a premium option, and a quality mid priced bolt gun came out together. Say a modified CZ 452 with ammo from RWS or Lapua the guns would fly off the shelves. Of cours the ammo would be 30$ a box and everybody would buy a little bit to try. Be able to say " my gun shoots 1/2 Moa" But go back to the cheap ammo for day to day shooting. I think the premium ammo suppliers understand the nitch this caliber falls in. And they recognize that a lot of cost to tool up and low volume sales would be a bad business decision. Maybe CCI could market a better than normal lots as a premium? For the record I have a good shooting BMAG. I HATE IT! The the trigger, hate the bolt, hate the stock, hate the way it cocks. I cannot wait to trade up. But then I have lots of guns, and the 22 hornet is better for me anyway. Since we are a little short on prairie dogs in Missouri. Lol