453 ? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:50 PM
Off-target

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The SST on a 453 might be just a bit too light for a plinker, but it can be adjusted. If you ever get tempted to shoot bullseyes, you won't find a better trigger in a sporting rifle. The Normal trigger is just about perfect, too.

I don't know about the USA scene, but the 453 is a fairly rare rifle over here, and when they come up for sale they don't stay in the LGS for very long. Mine will be one of the last guns that I would consider selling.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:00 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just install one of these on my 452's set at 2lbs.

https://timneytriggers.com/cz-452-trigger/
Old 01-19-2020, 02:31 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just get 455

My opinion may not be a popular here but I faced similar situation.
I could buy a used 453 with burris scope for $600. I tried it at the range and really didn't care for a set trigger.

I got brand new 455 instead for $328 on line plus FFl fee. I think wood looks better on mine and I like the adjustable trigger more. Out of the box the trigger has no creep and has clean break. Very accurate too.

Just didn't like the fact that you have to push the trigger forward first for a lighter break.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:01 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Simple adjustments on my 453, 1 lb on first break, single set 8 oz. The only problem is that after shooting it for a while, when i switch to another gun Iím trying to push its trigger forward. Got all the over travel out , but left a little creep for positive sear engagement. How some one could not love this trigger is beyond me
Old 01-19-2020, 03:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
My opinion may not be a popular here but I faced similar situation.
I could buy a used 453 with burris scope for $600. I tried it at the range and really didn't care for a set trigger.

I got brand new 455 instead for $328 on line plus FFl fee. I think wood looks better on mine and I like the adjustable trigger more. Out of the box the trigger has no creep and has clean break. Very accurate too.

Just didn't like the fact that you have to push the trigger forward first for a lighter break.
Not at all. Back when 452 and 453 were both available, many many more 452 were sold. Buyers felt as you. I am highly biased toward set triggers. That runs the gamut form muzzle loaders, old/antique/replica cartridge single shots and modern bolt action rifles. I think it is fair to say, I am in a minority. Perhaps a vocal minority.

The 453 cost considerably more. Given the limited popularity and higher price those who have a 453 today mostly really wanted them. Or sold it long ago. Supply and demand will push the price up on the rare occasion when a 453 hits the market.

And yes, some expertise required to get the most out of a 453.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:09 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
You don't have to use the set feature if you don't want to. To the op I would grab it before someone else does. The rifle and scope combo is probably worth quite a bit more than they are asking for. Unless it is up over the $1,000 range it's a bargain. Some might think that's ridiculous, but consider that the 453's alone have been selling for $700+. Then the price of the scope.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:59 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I replaced the set triggers on my 527 Carbines with the non-set versions from CZ. I know you can adjust the set function out of the triggers by tightening down the adjustment screw all the way, but the non-set replacement from CZ is much crisper and cleaner, and I really like the trigger blade better. I am a huge Timney fan, but in this case, the CZ non-set trigger is every bit as good as the Timney 527/550 trigger with regard to feel and pull, and is much cheaper. It looks like it would fit the 453 also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D95319D8-8568-493D-A0EF-26BDB8F089AD_1_105_c.jpeg (62.3 KB, 121 views)
Old 01-20-2020, 01:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Of the several CZs and BRNOs I have, or have had, my favorites for times when I'm trying to shoot for my best accuracy or my best groups, are the 453 Varmint and the Model 4. The 453 obviously has the SST, and the Model 4 has the conventional trigger as do my 452s. I like to keep my 452 and Model 4 triggers set light, but you can't really keep a standard trigger like these set as light as you can the SST in set mode unless you are willing to have a trigger that is extremely touchy for some circumstances of plinking/hunting/off-hand/non-bench uses.

With the ammo that I've tried (no ultra high end stuff, only up to $7 a box or so), the Model 4 will slightly out-shoot the 453 Varmint from a bench-like setup, and I believe it would gain an additional advantage if the trigger was as nice as the 453 in set mode. If I'm shooting from a pretty good setup, the Model 4 is my favorite, but the 453 Varmint is a fantastic all-around gun that is very accurate, light and compact enough to carry and to shoot off-hand, and if I could only have one CZ or BRNO for all of my shooting, it'd be hard for me to pick a gun other than the 453.

The other thing I'd say about the CZ SST, is that I've found it to be very important to me to take some time and get it adjusted EXACTLY to my liking, which means very light in set mode, and pretty light in normal mode. For years I never did that, and I didn't appreciate the trigger much, to the point that I kept all of mine adjusted such that the set mode was disabled, and the normal mode was about as light as you can get the standard 452 trigger adjusted to be safe. Then I spent some time on one of the SSTs and it really changed my view of them. A very light SST definitely improves my groups a little bit vs. a standard trigger that I don't feel comfortable adjusting down to a few ounces.

This thread needs some pictures!

Old 01-20-2020, 01:08 PM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
Of the several CZs and BRNOs I have, or have had, my favorites for times when I'm trying to shoot for my best accuracy or my best groups, are the 453 Varmint and the Model 4. The 453 obviously has the SST, and the Model 4 has the conventional trigger as do my 452s. I like to keep my 452 and Model 4 triggers set light, but you can't really keep a standard trigger like these set as light as you can the SST in set mode unless you are willing to have a trigger that is extremely touchy for some circumstances of plinking/hunting/off-hand/non-bench uses.

With the ammo that I've tried (no ultra high end stuff, only up to $7 a box or so), the Model 4 will slightly out-shoot the 453 Varmint from a bench-like setup, and I believe it would gain an additional advantage if the trigger was as nice as the 453 in set mode. If I'm shooting from a pretty good setup, the Model 4 is my favorite, but the 453 Varmint is a fantastic all-around gun that is very accurate, light and compact enough to carry and to shoot off-hand, and if I could only have one CZ or BRNO for all of my shooting, it'd be hard for me to pick a gun other than the 453.

The other thing I'd say about the CZ SST, is that I've found it to be very important to me to take some time and get it adjusted EXACTLY to my liking, which means very light in set mode, and pretty light in normal mode. For years I never did that, and I didn't appreciate the trigger much, to the point that I kept all of mine adjusted such that the set mode was disabled, and the normal mode was about as light as you can get the standard 452 trigger adjusted to be safe. Then I spent some time on one of the SSTs and it really changed my view of them. A very light SST definitely improves my groups a little bit vs. a standard trigger that I don't feel comfortable adjusting down to a few ounces.

This thread needs some pictures!

Nice bench. What kind of MPG does it get?
Old 01-20-2020, 01:31 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
Nice bench. What kind of MPG does it get?
It's awesome. Shown above on a family-owned 140 acre impromptu range, but often seen on other similar ones with up to 320 acres of freedom. The bench itself is a rental, configured especially for week-long shooting expeditions back to the homeland. Re: MPG, it returns about 32 or so, almost 2x what any of my own vehicles get, and a welcome savings on a 1750 mile trip. It has the added advantage of taking abuse like no vehicles that I actually own would ever see, doesn't mind dust, mud, or a bunch of empty brass wedged down in the wiper mechanism. And best of all, it makes for a portable range and a portable armory, all in one unit capable of bugging out at over 100 MPH.

Last edited by I6turbo; 01-20-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:18 PM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
I don't care for the 453. Set triggers increase lock time and the trigger reach on the 453 is too long. It also puts my trigger finger and the bolt handle on a collision course.
lt can be adjusted down to 8oz without the need to set the trigger, that is how l have my CZ453 varmint adjusted 8oz and done without adding any things to the trigger just fine-tuning.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:38 PM
eggplant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
You don't have to use the set feature if you don't want to. To the op I would grab it before someone else does. The rifle and scope combo is probably worth quite a bit more than they are asking for. Unless it is up over the $1,000 range it's a bargain. Some might think that's ridiculous, but consider that the 453's alone have been selling for $700+. Then the price of the scope.

If the scope and 453 have not been abused, anything under $1100 is more than a fair price. It's a steal if less...
Old 01-20-2020, 04:01 PM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
[QUOTE=leenie;11744699]to neuter or not to neuter that is the question.[/QUOTE

interesting never seen that before. 94.00 Bucks ouch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 453.jpg (81.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 01-20-2020, 04:09 PM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
.....I might set that scope aside for a center fire rifle. ..........
Aren't most of those Nikons 50 yard minimum focus distance?...Tom
Old 01-20-2020, 05:21 PM
leenie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
lefty 68 bucks 3/4 ouch I like messing with guns. my 452s have dip sears the 455 has a timney

Last edited by leenie; 01-20-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: speling