Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:40 PM
Emhokie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 magnum scopes

I bought a cz 512 22 magnum and I’m overwhelmed with scope choices.

My intent for the gun is vermin control on the farm so I don’t need a high powered scope. I’m leaning towards the Leupold 2x7 Rimfire and possibly the vortex similar model. Other options are a fixed 4x Leupold or a 1.5 x 4 Leupold.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated
Old 01-07-2020, 07:21 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am using a 4x32 Simmons on one and a Simmons Aetec 4-14x44 SF on the other. I prefer the 4X. No fiddling around with the scope. For hunting I would go with the Leupold 4X but that is my preference. You are the one spending the money.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:18 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Leupold has a life time guaranty...

The Leupold has a life time guaranty which goes with the scope, so it is not dependent on it being owned by the original purchaser. That means you can buy a used one and send it in if problems with it. They have terrific customer service. I own a bunch of them.

Vermin are small, and as you say, close at hand. A rimfire scope will have the parallax set at about 60 yards, which is what you want. I think your first choice of the 2-7x Leupold rimfire is a good one. I think they also make a 3-9x rimfire version and that little bit more magnification might be helpful.

Take a look at our classified here, 61 ads for scopes last time I looked. Keep the money on the family. A couple of nice Leupold Vari-X III included.

Last edited by David Valdina; 01-07-2020 at 08:27 PM. Reason: added a paragraph about our classified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 09:21 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would buy a scope that has an adjustable objective. Nikon, Leupold, Weaver, Clearidge all offer 3x9s with AO. Makes a difference if accuracy is your goal
Old 01-07-2020, 09:28 PM
ruffhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kinda in the same boat for 22 mag deciding which direction for my uses. Hunting camp is in hill country, with closer wooded shots mixed with wider clearcuts. As well as night calling for mostly 50 for 75yds max. Have been leaning at the Vortex 1-4x24 30mm with illuminated reticle or Vortex Diamonback 2-7x35. Weaver has the kaspa 1-4x24 or 1.5-6x32 illuminated. I would a like a lighted German #4 reticle too.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:50 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
For me, the size of target would determine if a variable is needed . . .

Both my scoped .22 Magnum rifles have fixed 4x scopes on top of them. I considered lower power models, but figured with the extra range of the magnum, it could be needed at longer distances on small targets. These rifles are geared for "large small game " like turkey / javelina as well as the more common jackrabbit. No need for the magnum on cottontails.

I stopped my predator hunting some years back and until they cause me to change my mind, I'm good with that. Watching bobcat and hearing coyote 'music' is part of the outdoor experience now.

Sorry - beginning to ramble on ...
Old 01-08-2020, 07:43 AM
Nerostarr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Look at the Vortex 2-7x33 for a nice low power but very bright scope, it works excellent. On my 512 I have a Vortex 4-12x40 as I like to shoot longer distances with it, both scopes work well.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:01 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Almost everything I own has a Weaver V-16 (4-16x) scope on it because of the magnification range it gives me and the fact that this scope has an Adjustable Objective that adjust down below 30 FEET not yards like other scopes...but the number one reason I have so many if these scopes is the reticle. Just the right size for me not to thick or not too thin...so I would suggest you find a scope with a reticle in it that works for you not one you have to make work. There are a lot of low magnification scopes that are made for big game hunting which have thicker reticles which in my eyes are not the best for those longer shot when needed...so choose wisely. Size and weight is important too...your on the correct path.

When I am out hunting I like to crank up the magnification to get the best view possible...sometimes 4x is enough and other times it might go to 7x or even higher depending on the distance.

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman
Old 01-08-2020, 08:27 AM
deltaT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Give LL Cote in Errol, NH a call, slight chance you could score a pre Freedom VX (Leupold) we did-the place is a hoot.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:48 AM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhunter View Post
Kinda in the same boat for 22 mag deciding which direction for my uses. Hunting camp is in hill country, with closer wooded shots mixed with wider clearcuts. As well as night calling for mostly 50 for 75yds max. Have been leaning at the Vortex 1-4x24 30mm with illuminated reticle or Vortex Diamonback 2-7x35. Weaver has the kaspa 1-4x24 or 1.5-6x32 illuminated. I would a like a lighted German #4 reticle too.
Keep in mind the larger the objective lens, the more light it will gather.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:51 AM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Leupold on my CZ so I vote for that I think you will like it.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:41 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nikon P223

I picked up the Nikon P223 on sale at Bass Pro when I scoped my Zastava .22WMR. It is a 3x9 50 mm BDC. I have been very pleased with the scope. Typical Nikon optics clear as a bell. The BDC rings are fine and excellent for stepping out to the next 10 or 20 yard mark. I shot a 0.49 in. group at 100 yd.s shooting the 30 gr. Hornady V-Max. The bullet holes were very easy to view at a 100 yd.s.

VH
Old 01-08-2020, 11:44 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
How much light your scope gathers and...

How much light your scope gathers and how much light your eyes can make use of are each considerations. As you get to be old, your eye will take in less light. The only good side of this is that you need not spend as much on expensive light gathering scopes. I believe John Barsness said that a 6x scope gives about as much relative brightness as the eye can use. He has a good book out, and you can get it here for short money.

https://www.amazon.com/Optics-Hunter.../dp/1571571566

As to an adjustable objective lens, yes, they are good to have, but considering we are talking about relatively short distances at targets of opportunity on the farm, it is not much of a consideration. And in my humble opinion, for most hunting situations by the time you finish adjusting a scope, the animal will have left. Ditto with your fiddling around and letting yourself be noticed more.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:51 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32mm on my RAR. Most shots between 10 and 60yds.

Last edited by Jonzim; 01-17-2020 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:44 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 2-7x Leupold rimfire is an excellent choice for critter control. I could stop here. This is great scope, for the "just right" minded person.

The 1.5x4 is better for larger game and priced higher for no added usefulness on a 22mag.

I did not know 4x Leupold was an option. That is and always was a very practical choice of magnification. The 2-7x comes in a rimfire specific version and you get a little extra magnification at the high end and much more field of view at the low end. So, that is what I like for the application given.

In reality I have been messing around more with 3-9 efr, but; no way that is need for the intended purpose.