1911-22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:44 PM
SteveinAK
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
1911-22

What's the verdict on the 1911-22? I haven't seen much about it and I'm a 1911 fan, so the thing intrigues me.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
good stuff.....
Old 11-23-2019, 11:10 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Steve,

I've got the Black Label in the longer barreled version (4.25").

*The Black Label has much better sights than the standard version, which very much resemble the old 1911 sights in all of the bad respects, ie. small & hard to see.

*The Black Label also has an ambidextrous safety which I consider necessary as I shoot left handed.

*Browning's 1911-22's come in either an aluminum or plastic frame. You can tell in that the plastic framed ones have a raised panel where the serial number is. The aluminum framed one was what I wanted... they are not as common as the plastic framed ones.

* Mine shot atrociously high (about 6 inches at 15 yards & even higher at 25 yards), I've only read of this a couple of times on the internet so believe it is uncommon. I called Browning and they offered to take care of it... instead I put a taller front sight on mine (used the Dawson Precision fronts sight height calculator), instead of sending it back to Browning. The front sight dovetail cut fortunately is 'Novak' in size with only a little filing needed on the front sight base.

*Mine started with about a 4 3/4 pound trigger pull, which by tweaking the spring I managed to reduce only a little. A bit heavy for a pistol that only weighs 16 ounces... in my opinion, but pretty much on par with what a 1911's for self defense have.

*Accuracy could be better, don't recall the group size(s), but I generally like my handguns to be grouse head accurate at 15 to 20 yards and this pistol is not there. Perhaps my lack of accuracy is due to the relatively heavy trigger pull, I'll remedy this someday and will find out. On the other hand I know Huntsman has shot several rabbits and other vermin... probably from around his hay stacks and am quite suprised he did not post several pictures of same.

*Magazines are expensive I feel, around $35 each. I found some at optic planet(?) last year on sale for under $25 each and bought several. The pistol only comes with one, three magazines are pretty much a minmum for me for any gun... just in case of loss.

*If you're looking for a 1911 Trainer... keep looking. This pistol is 85% the size of a 1911... I find it surprising just how small it is. If looking for a trainer a full sized pistol would be much much better.

*Mine (and from what I have read pretty much everybody's) runs flawlessly. I shoot mostly CCI Blazer, Minimag's, AR Tactical (a RN MiniMag) and CCI standard velocity, and some bulk pack stuff I use for plinking only through mine and have had less failures than any other pistol I have or have had.

*Looking at the above it seems my review is rather negative... I definitely feel there is room for improvement; But I buy, try and sell a lot of guns, the only reason I would sell this pistol is if I pick up one of Browning's 1911-22 compact/threaded pistols so that I can run my supressor with it. It will be passed down to one of my kids.

Jerry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 08:43 AM
SteveinAK
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Excellent information! Thank you! Yeah, it wouldn't be a 1911 trainer as much as a plinker and occasional companion with me where I'm out and about in the woods.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:02 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I opted for the GSG 1911 22. It's the same size and same feel as a standard Government Model and is about 80 % compatible with parts interchangeability.

I used CWAccessories to upgrade mine with an accurizing kit and it now shoots real well. The stock trigger was at just about 5 pounds and I kept it that way. I know I could reduce it but this is mostly for fun and I'm not setting it up for competition.

I did upgrade my magazines with +4 followers and +2 extended base pads. I like not having to reload as much.

Give it a try. I bought mine from Sportsman's Warehouse for about $280 but have seem them cheaper from Bud's. American Tactical Accessories is the importer. It's the same gun as the Sig 1911 22.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:33 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Right now my 1911-22 (GSG) is my favorite gun to shoot.

Shooting a 1911 with the cost of a .22 in your back yard, what's not to love?
Old 11-24-2019, 05:28 PM
VASCAR2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought an Advantage Arms Standard 22 conversion and bought a stripped RIA frame to get a complete pistol. I built this several years ago before ATI/GSG/Sig, Chiappa or Browning were on the market.

My AA/RIA is a hoot to shoot and I take the notion I could use the frame for a different caliber centerfire slide. My AA/RIA is cheaper to shoot than my RIA 1911-A1 Plus I don’t have to pickup brass (I’m to tight of a reloader to leave good brass on the ground).

Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-24-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:10 PM
sourdoughjim
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you have a spare 1911 sitting around, I would get either an Advantage Arms or a Marvel conversion top end.

I have a J. A. Ciener 1992 top end with 2 15-round mags, back when Ciener had no issues. I used an Olympic Arms Matchmaster stripped frame bought at a gun show that I had parked at Oly several years ago. I used SARCO, Numrich, Wolff, and Hogue parts. I used a Wolff 19# mainspring as this is strictly a blowback gun.

Your call.

Regards,

Jim

Old 11-25-2019, 10:53 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i have a few and i love them , the sig 1911-22 shoots really well , my full size kimber conversion on a dedicated lower is about as close to shooting the 45 version i used to shoot for three gun as i could conjure up , you really cannot go wrong if you love the 1911 platform ,
Old 11-26-2019, 11:56 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Steve,

I asumed by 1911-22 that you were referring to the 'Browning 1911-22'... Not sure why, I had just been looking through the Browning subforum earlier, Huntsman's response (I know he's got a couple of Browning 1911-22's), not sure; but anyway...

I've also got a Nelson 1911 conversion on a dedicated aluminum frame.

*Spendy, on par with the Browning 1911-22 Black Label (just for the complete upper).

*Like the Browning, a failure to fire/eject is a rare event.

*Magazines are $25 each... and probably never on sale.

*Like the Browning you can get it with a threaded or non-threaded barrel.

*Trigger is whatever you want to make it, as of course all 1911 components will fit (or can be fitted I should say).

*Basically being a 1911 your options (sights, grips, trigger, bling, etc.) are endless.

*It meets (and probably can exceed in better hands) my accuracy expectations. I was looking through the bore of a production rimfire pistol that was noted for having issues with chattering in the barrel (none in mine thank goodness), I had my Nelson out, ran a few patches through it and took a look through the barrel... the bore looks like a mirror.

*YMMV but for me a full size 1911 is perfect for my grip (my work gloves are large, mediums are a bit tight). While the Browning and it's controls are definitely a bit small for me.

To sum it up the Browning (85%) 1911-22 is cool, like jewelry (to me), a fun plinker, with a bit of range time it probably would suffice for Wood's Wandering. While the Nelson (or any full size 1911 conversion) is an excellent trainer, and has not only more accuracy potential, but uses... the Woods, Bullseye, Steel Challenge, etc.
I see the comparison analagous to the S&W J-frame 22 LR (the Model 63) vs the S&W Model 17 (22LR), in that pretty much everyone agrees that the Model 17 is the more accurate and easier to shoot well... I've spent a lot of range time with a S&W 63 (thank you 'speed beez') and find that the S&W 63 could work for all of the above... just not at the same level as the S&W 17.

Jerry

My Nelson conversion alongside my Browning 1911-22;

Last edited by jerryd; 11-27-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:17 PM
billwunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
GSG 1911-2

I just picked up a new GSG 1911-22 from Dahlonega Armory last week. Best price on the internet. I recently sold a Kimber 45ACP Stainless Target II. The GSG is not a Kimber other than in looks. I do believe it is identical to the Sig 1911-22 though, at a lower price. I love it! I have replaced the factory grips, added a compensator (primarily for looks), and have a new stainless guide rod on order. The original is metal but appears to be some kind of cast alloy. I didn't realize how popular this gun was until I started to research. There are many aftermarket products available. I have had zero problems in 300 rounds. No FTF's or FTE's. Very accurate. As accurate as my cz 75 at 20 - 40 yds. No regrets!
Old 12-08-2019, 03:42 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwunder View Post
I just picked up a new GSG 1911-22 from Dahlonega Armory last week. Best price on the internet. I recently sold a Kimber 45ACP Stainless Target II. The GSG is not a Kimber other than in looks. I do believe it is identical to the Sig 1911-22 though, at a lower price. I love it! I have replaced the factory grips, added a compensator (primarily for looks), and have a new stainless guide rod on order. The original is metal but appears to be some kind of cast alloy. I didn't realize how popular this gun was until I started to research. There are many aftermarket products available. I have had zero problems in 300 rounds. No FTF's or FTE's. Very accurate. As accurate as my cz 75 at 20 - 40 yds. No regrets!
The GSG is a fun gun to shoot, no doubt.................
Old 12-12-2019, 10:47 PM
osbornk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My GSG 1911-22 looks, feels, aims and shoots just like my RIA 1911 in 9mm except for the recoil. I have shot thousands of rounds through it but I find it needs to be cleaned every 400-500 rounds to work reliably. When you keep it clean, it never malfunctions.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:53 AM
Black Knight
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The OP asked about the Browning, and to that I will respond that I have a 2019 Shot Show model that I could not be happier with. It is not a trainer, which I knew before I bought it. It serves my purpose of being easy to shoot, flawless in function, beautiful workmanship and easily concealed. Mine is as accurate as I am, probably better. But for arthritic hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders ( and probably brains)......it is perfect.