MkIV vs Victory vs Buckmark? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Desert Pete
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I own the Buckmark and the Victory. To me, the Buckmark has a better trigger, better sights, feels better in the hand and has a slight accuracy advantage. The Victory had a rough barrel from the factory and S&W replaced it. At @6000 rounds the trigger return spring broke in half and I got misfires. I bought this Ultragrip Camper URX model Buckmark on sale at Academy for $300. The wraparound grips may suit you better if you find the others too small.
Buckmark B (2).jpg
Old 06-05-2019, 05:05 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have the following:

Browning Buckmark Field Target & Hunter - I like the feel of the grip on both & both have decent triggers.
Ruger Mark III Target (with the bigger wood grips) - needed a Volquartsen Pistol Competition Kit.
S&W Victory 22 - TandemKross HiveGrip, Halo Charging Ring, & Victory Trigger are great improvements.

All three shoot well with my limited skills - the Browning Buckmark Field Target is my favorite of those (3), but the S&W Model 41 is still my all time favorite.

Last edited by rjferber; 06-06-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Correct wording
Old 06-06-2019, 10:19 AM
jrsbike
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a Victory for about 2500 trouble free and accurate rounds. As successful as it was a performer I never adapted to the small grips and I wear a medium size glove. I spent a lot of money trying different grips to get marginal improvement. The best fit in my hand is the S&W 41 but I don't want to spend a $1000. The 22/45 fits well but I tired of buying guns and immediately have to start the hunt for aftermarket goods to make them run right, which I'm doing yet again with a Walther PPQ M2 22LR. I will be buying the Buckmark next.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:40 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Henry88, you are getting much information from forum members based on their own preferences in what is the best pistol for them. You and you alone are going to have to make the decision as to what looks and feels best for you, and has the features that you feel you need. I have owned Ruger, Browning, and S&W Victory pistols, still own the Rugers and S&W Victory, but no longer own a Browning. If I were to buy a Buck Mark pistol today, for me it would absolutely be the Buck Mark Field Target, because it has the larger frame, 5.5 inch bull barrel, adjustable sights mounted on a solid rail which will accept optics. But that is for me, doesn't mean it would be best for you.

Unfortunately you may have to purchase more than one pistol to actually find out which one is best for you. This is what I have done over the years. At least it can be fun going through the process. I look forward to hearing what you wind up buying.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:17 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
Unfortunately you may have to purchase more than one pistol to actually find out which one is best for you. This is what I have done over the years. At least it can be fun going through the process. I look forward to hearing what you wind up buying.
Yep pretty much that. You have to just buy one, and then say, "Man, this one sucks. Guess I'll just have to get the other one too."
Old 06-06-2019, 10:42 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Of the three mentioned, I have only two of them; the BuckMark Hunter and the MkIV Competition. They take turns winning the "best group" competition with different ammo at 25 yards. However, the BuckMark Hunter really shines with the Aguila Pistol Match. With a group of five, four touching and one "goober" less than 1/2" away, with a Browning red dot sight! I have yet to find ammo for the MKIV that does as well, but still manages great groups. beating the Browning very often with different ammo. Now the down side. The BuckMark Hunter is the worst of the two for chamber crud. Also the Hunter is "worser than bad" about lead in the barrel. Never fear, 24 hour soak after using a dry bronze brush for 6 laps, soak with Kroil - then dry patch and shoot about 20 or 30 rounds of CCI 40 gr. copper plated Mini Mags. Done deal. Both have no trouble with the 6" plate at 50 yards. The MKIV is much easier to clean, and I have no trouble with cleaning the chamber or the barrel. This is proven by the Lyman Bore Scope. I really suggest you get all three and have some fun! ..... Just my $.02. .......... AH
Old 06-12-2019, 11:27 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
If you have at least a mild appreciation for the Buck Mark, or 22 caliber semi-automatic pistols in general, I suggest you try to get your hands on a Browning Medalist to shoot and see what you think of it.

For perspective, I've had a Ruger Mk I, MK II Target, Kimber 1911 with Kimber .22 Conversion, and I currently have an AMT Lightning (essentially a Ruger Mk II with a Clarke adjustable trigger), a Buck Mark UDX Plus (with FastFire II), a couple of CZ Kadet Kits for my CZ 75-based guns, and two Browning Medalists. The Medalists are a couple of levels above the others in terms trigger quality and overall feel. They are also more accurate.

If I could only keep one of my .22 semi-autos, there is no question AT ALL that it would be one of the Medalists. If you like shooting .22 caliber semi-automatics, you should try one out somehow. If you happen to like them as much as I do, you'll be thrilled that you went to the trouble to check them out.

Last edited by I6turbo; 06-12-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:39 AM
hunting909

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
buckmark

I have the buckmark 7.25 contour and a couple of ruger mark 2's. All of them shoot fantastic. After taking the buckmark apart to clean it I was not impressed with how it was made. It is held together with screws that may eventually strip out. It has two parts that are either nylon or plastic- don't know. However, I hear that they do eventually break- and are expensive to replace. Also, when you take the grips off a bunch of parts and springs automatically fall out. To be honest, I have had zero problems with the buckmark after thousands of shots, but am afraid that over time (years) its design will result in some problems. I would own a couple of more, but am instead hoping that Browning will improve it's design- and then I will buy more! My ruger mark 2's are hard to disassemble, but have caused no problems. I do have a Smith 41. I consider it superior to both the browning and ruger. Worth saving up for in my opinion! Best of luck with your decision!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:40 AM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the replies.

I already know I want the larger frame (original) which is also currently produced as the UFX and also the Hunter. At this point I just want a "pistol" with a reasonable barrel length, so sticking with the 5.5". I would spend the extra $50 for stainless, but they leave the grip frame black, which to me defeats the purpose, so just the basic UFX camper @ $349 I guess.........
Old 06-24-2019, 09:41 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have never shot the Victory. The Victory never really interested me. I have owned at least three BuckMarks at one time. They shot well, and were very accurate. I do not care for the non steel on the BuckMarks. I have 3 Ruger's right now, I like that the Ruger's are made of steel and are a heavier pistol. Really that they are made of steel. But that being said they are also a lot more costly when you buy them. I know when I buy mine the trigger will cost me another $100 to get it the way I like it which is better than the BuckMark and probably the S&W. They are probably all just as accurate as the other.

Good Luck on your decision.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:19 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I presently have all three and if I'd purchased the Victory first it would be the only one, well actually two...I have two, one non-threaded and one threaded. JMO. Others will likely vary.
I have come to agree with this statement more as time goes by. I love my MKII Ruger pistols but I find myself using my Victory with Tandemkross trigger more at my shooting sessions.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i also own the buckmark and victory [not the mk IV ] i like my buckmark , ill not part with my victory but shoot it less , im not thinking of buying a mkIV , but i know nothing of them ,
Old 06-24-2019, 09:41 PM
DynamyteD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The basic camper is a great pistol and can always be upgraded. I was able to get a brand new one for $250