Single vs two-stage trigger in 10/22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2021, 02:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Single vs two-stage trigger in 10/22

I've read a lot of "which trigger is best" discussions and it seems like some people fall very much on one side or the other.

I've also read a lot about how they work, how they feel, etc., but without ever having tried a two-stage, I'm not sure how to determine if I'd like it, or whether it would improve our shooting.

I'm primarily interested in upgrading the BX in the rifle my daughter and I use for a monthly 100yd iron-sight match, which is shot off-hand standing, sitting, then prone. The improvement from stock to BX was significant for us, so wanting to take the "next step" - either a Brimstone BX job, or a possibly a Kidd 2-stage. Quite a difference, according to some comments I've read.

So can anyone put into simple terms why we would find one significantly "better" than the other?
Old 01-21-2021, 03:06 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My Brimstone BX feels very -2 stage and very nice, no complaints. My 3oz -3oz Kidd 2 stage now belongs to Dr Gunner so maybe he can opine. In the case of the 3oz, I recall it being so light the difference between the stages was imperceptible to my untrained finger.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:14 PM
Teachu2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
A good single stage has no take-up travel. When you touch it, you feel the wall, and when you put enough pressure on it, the wall "breaks", allowing the trigger to release the firing mechanism and fire the round.
A two stage has a weighted travel (the first stage) to the wall, where additional pull weight is required to break the second stage. Longer trigger pull, but lighter weight. Because of this, you can have a safe trigger at a very light total pull weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2021, 03:25 PM
Teachu2

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
My Brimstone BX feels very -2 stage and very nice, no complaints. My 3oz -3oz Kidd 2 stage now belongs to Dr Gunner so maybe he can opine. In the case of the 3oz, I recall it being so light the difference between the stages was imperceptible to my untrained finger.
My first Kidd two stage is a 3/3oz, and it certainly took some training to get used to. It's not a cold-weather gun, numb and shaking fingers need not apply. My second is 8/8oz, and is a little easier on beginners. The third was ordered at 3/3 with my Supergrade, for bench use. Once I got used to them, I can easily take up the first stage and hold there, wait for my heartbeat, then fire when I choose. I'm seriously considering a 12/12 for a varminter.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:38 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
2-stage is not for everyone.. I have had Buddies I shoot with try mine at 1 lb/1 lb. and while they all love it many have said "WOW that would take me some time to get used to" ... Indeed it does and lighter is even more so.
For the positions/disciplines you state you shoot I suggest the Single Stage 1.5 lb. - better for the Youngin
Old 01-21-2021, 03:45 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For position shooting which is what you're describing, I prefer a good two stage.
The KIDD isa good 2 stage.
It allows you to get on target with your finger on the trigger, and the pull it into the wall and have it break at a very low weight.

You may have noticed the all high end position target rifles come with a 2 stage trigger.
That includes the rifles used in Olympic competition (both rimfire and air).

Now for hunting or something where you are moving around like NRL and Steel Challenges, I prefer the higher weight of the KIDD single stage.

Much less chance of an unintended firing because of the higher weight, and by employing proper trigger control of keeping your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
Even in something as fast paced as shooting a Steel Challenge, my finger comes off the trigger between each shot (which also insurers a good reset).

Please keep in mind that a semi-auto has a much higher chance of an unintended discharge because your finger stays in the trigger well.

That's my 2.

Smooth

I have both a KIDD 2 stage and a single stage trigger.
Both are excellent, although there are better 2 stage triggess out their, but nothing that's made for a 10/22.

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 01-21-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:57 PM
wonshott

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
a lot of people seam to put the focus on the two stage trigger being able to be set very light and still be safe or recommending them just for bench work and they arent wrong. but in my opinion two stage triggers are still fantastic at around 2 or 3 lbs of total pull weight and give you that extra level of trigger control. just find that wall and break the shot exactly when you want to. I have both the kidd single and two stage set up for cmp rimfire sporter matches at 3lbs plus. for 100 yard 3 position the limiting factors will be your steady hold and sighting system not single or two stage trigger
Old 01-21-2021, 06:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Kidd 2 stage trigger weights are adjustable. 1st stage is adjustable as well as 2nd stage sperately. You can play with the 1st and second stage weights till you find what you like. I wasnt a fan of the 2 stage till I learned how to shoot with it properly, Now I prefer 2 stage on everything.

Last edited by NickelPatina; 01-21-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
For the positions/disciplines you state you shoot I suggest the Single Stage 1.5 lb. - better for the Youngin
So a Brimstone BX might be the best "next step"?

If I had a half-dozen 10/22's I'd try them all, I just hate to spend $$ on stuff that may just end up sitting in a box later.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:39 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

So a Brimstone BX might be the best "next step"?

If I had a half-dozen 10/22's I'd try them all, I just hate to spend $$ on stuff that may just end up sitting in a box later.
Seriously the BEST BET and Nun Beda is the KIDD Kit or the Single Stage.. You and Your Daughter will "feel it's the best money you ever spent" .. buy once..cry once. The BX is a Band-Aid.. sending it for a BrimJob get's you better but still NOT a KIDD.. and about the same money spent on a KIDD Kit which will be a tad more... dig a little deeper into your wallet and the Single Stage is both a work of Art and the best there is.
If you were to trip a KIDD a few times .. ummm .. "I just hate to spend $$ on stuff that may just end up sitting in a box later" .. this would happen if you had bought/did the BX/BrimJob. I have 4 BrimJob's ..they are great triggers for some.. I am a trigger Snob.. done over 40 home brewed jobs and most if not all are excellent at 2-2.5 lbs. and safe.. and the last few years all I buy for my friends/clients/family now are KIDD Kits.

Last edited by Chaser; 01-21-2021 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Seriously the BEST BET and Nun Beda is the KIDD Kit or the Single Stage..
So the complete KIDD Single Stage Trigger Unit, or the "Trigger Job" Kit?

What would be the difference between those two?
Old 01-22-2021, 12:25 AM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
So the complete KIDD Single Stage Trigger Unit, or the "Trigger Job" Kit?

What would be the difference between those two?
The diff = Mostly the actual TG/housing is the diff.. feel is almost the same.. the Kit won't go as low as the Single St. but I don't think you need it lower.
The KIT obviously goes into your OEM TG.. if you are OK with that Tupperware the KIT is the way to go.

Last edited by Chaser; 01-22-2021 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:04 AM
wonshott

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the kidd single stage trigger is a metal trigger housing and is adjustable in pull weight from 1.5 to 5 lbs with a single set screw. if that isnt important to you get the kit
Old 01-22-2021, 07:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The diff = Mostly the actual TG/housing is the diff.. feel is almost the same.. the Kit won't go as low as the Single St. but I don't think you need it lower.
The KIT obviously goes into your OEM TG.. if you are OK with that Tupperware the KIT is the way to go.
Thanks again! Looks like that is indeed the way to go.

As a related side-note, I know we're just putting more money into building up from a standard base model, and probably will end up spending more than on something already built. The problem is, very few high quality rifles support aftermarket iron sights - and that is what we shoot. I contacted Kidd directly about a standard dovetail mount on their barrels, they won't/can't do it. I'd probably already have a supergrade if they did.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:11 AM
gomi_otaku

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There's a KIDD in the classifieds right now, 8/8 (not mine)