Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Is a 10 lbs too Heavy for Off Hand only?

6K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  alpineboard 
#1 ·
If this is the wrong place to post, I apologize. Trying to focus on those of you who shoot offhand since my intent is to only shoot that way. I am very new to both rifle and off hand shooing (bullseye pistol shooter). Just fyi, I am 69.

My new 10/22 (Kidd barreled receiver/ heavy stock with Weaver scope) weighs right at 10 pounds. It seems pretty heavy, but so far I am shooting it "OK" at 25y, keeping it in the black on the A23 target. Is this a decent weight, or perhaps too heavy for offhand only?

The reason I am asking is when I started bullseye pistol I really favored the lighter pistols and sort go went in that direction. However, as I started shooting a lot, and likely developed some specific muscles I realized I actually prefer a heavier pistol (shooting offhand, one handed).

I have tried to so some research but it seems most shooting disciplines involve prone and kneeling positions.

#17 ·
If you've got good form then a heavier rifle will be more stable. I have three rifles I shoot off-hand for silhouette (two air rifles and an Anschutz 22LR). I shoot the 10.5-11 lb. rifles better than the 8.5 lb. rifle in large part because of the weight.
A 1960s BSA .22lr target variety weighed 11 lbs. and the bullseye at 25 yards was .20 inches diameter.

#4 ·
My experience says balance and weight are crucial to good offhand shooting. Balance more so than weight. When I was shooting Highpower my AR15 weighed about 13 pounds and balanced between the mag well and pistol grip. The Winchester 52 I used for a couple of winters for 50 foot 4P shooting was very nose heavy, which made it difficult for me to use offhand.
A balanced 10 pound rifle will be a dream to shoot offhand. An unbalanced one will frustrate you, no matter what it weighs.
(Last note: I always notice excessive gun weight most when shooting prone.)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#6 ·
... balance and weight are crucial to good offhand shooting. Balance more so than weight....
I'm older than the OP. I shoot silhouettes with a modified 10/22 or a CZ 455, both of which are about 7 pounds including scopes and that's about my limit. Both have tapered barrels around 16 & 18 inches. I have used an 18-inch solid stainless bull barrel that's a tack-driver off a rest but it's too heavy for offhand shooting and silhouettes. Especially shooting 2 40-round matches back-to-back.

I'd be surprised if you didn't do better with a few pounds less, assuming the balance is good and you're shooting more than a very few shots at a time.

#5 ·
Wow. Thanks guys. I am in a high learning mode, 1st time I have used a scope as well (vs a dot sight). I think right now I shoot the rifle better with the dot sight, but that is probably because of a zillion rounds shot thru my pistols.

I currently have a Kidd 16.5" bull barrel and a Volquartson Inferno stock (looked cool). Just ordered a Bell and Carlson Odyssey stock.

Need to focus on the balance, and practice practice:gun4:

#10 ·
Odd that no one mentioned stock fit and focused on weight. You might handle 10lbs with no trouble, or have nothing but trouble with it if it's too long. A gun that doesn't fit will cause more problems than weight alone will. I struggled a long time shooting off hand until I picked the brains of several nationally good shooters who pointed this out to me. After getting a gun that fit my scores and shooting went way up.

#13 · (Edited)
Glad you are shooting with us Greg !
Both my O/H rifles are Kimber 82G's. Both have been modded by me for a good fit and balance (very slightly muzzle-heavy) . I have actually added a bit of lead under the buttplates to get the balance I want. Of course the 82G is a position rifle by design, so it was a good starting platform for getting exactly what I wanted for O/H.
The scoped gun is ~13#, the irons gun ~11.5#
I am 68, average build, and I find that using proper O/H form **(bone support) the weights are no problem at all. If I shot with muscle-support form, these guns would kill me.
As you know by now our 25Yd matches are 50 shots. On a good day I can shoot two sets back to back no problem. Then there is 72Coupe, who sometimes shoots 5 or 6 sets back to back, also with a 82G...he is our local Superman. His scores also reflect his dedication to the great sport of O/H shooting.

So is weight a help or hindrance ? I have a little custom-stocked Marlin bolt that fits me like a glove, it is my 'woods gun' , a joy to carry. It weighs 4.5#. With it I have great trouble getting within 20 points of my 82G O/H scores...

**Take a look in our "Offhand reference material" thread here, there is some excellent guidance from some very good O/O shooters in there, it will give you a good jump-start into O/H
All the best,
Bob4BVM

#14 ·
I think my rifle is too heavy..........

My 52c with roy dunlop hardware and bull barrel weighs about 18 pounds with unertl scope.

Wears me out doing a four position match. Make ya groan!

Lot more comfortable with my 10 pound kimber, 8 pound savage anschutz, or 7 pound 513 t. but the scores are not as good.

Regards,
Crankster

#15 · (Edited)
Really appreciate all the responses. The new stock I purchased is a thumbhole (Archangel). It is two lbs lighter, and I like it, although as many have mentioned, I don't seem to shoot it better.

I have medium size hands and am noticing that the reach to the trigger is almost too long. I'm going to try to take some measurements comparing the reach from the trigger to where the web of the the hand is on a couple of my adjustable pistols and compare the reach.

Does anyone sell thumbhole stocks where you can specify more to less reach to the trigger? Kind of like a medium size pistol grip vs large or XL?I haven't noticed that this measurement is specified anywhere. I have done some preliminary searches, but no luck. Perhaps I will post a separate thread?

#16 ·
I know this is getting to be an older post, but I shoot some informal NRA light rifle offhand, used to shoot 3P. I'm 77 and my wife and I have decided it best to self isolate. That said I was using a 10/22 that weighs 8.2 pounds. I can hold it steadier than its original configuration that was much lighter. I made a mod to the pistol grip that makes it more comfortable for the arthritic fingers on my right hand, but it also makes my trigger finger closer to the trigger so I can place my finger better on the trigger. Makes it more of a full pistol grip as target rifles have. Used the dimensions of my Martini MK III for the shape and size. Allows my elbow to droop a bit more. Bought some gray rubberized paint to put on it but been to lazy.
Also been dryfiring my Martini. At 16 pounds nearly double the 10/22. I can hold it much steadier. Something about mass, doesn't change direction as fast. Was hesitant to try it as of my age. Doing some weight lifting and hope to shoot it again at the range some day.
Rich

Attachments

#18 ·
Olympic ISSF Air Rifle weight limit is 5.5 kg= 12 pounds 1 ounce. Most rifles are stock weight of 10.5 pounds.
Just about everyone, Adults and juniors, add weight to get to max of 5.5 kg.
Also, most have the balance point at the front support palm block hand rest spot, or just in front by an inch.
With that said, some do add more weight to the rear % wise.

#19 ·
Offhand is my favorite shooting position and I mostly use a scope, now. Some thoughts to share for a newcomer.

Weight is important, but as mentioned, balance equally so, maybe more important. The important thing I will add is that it will take awhile for you to get in offhand shooting shape and building up endurance, so what seems like a too heavy a rifle at first may not be so later when you're in better offhand shape. Getting in shape will be a matter of practice. Don't over do it in a shooting session, though. I know it's time to call it quits when I start dropping shots. Sure sign fatigue is taking its toll.

Using a scope effectively is also a mater of practice. It won't happen overnight. The temptation to back down on magnification is hard to resist at first, but you'll eventually discover that you can shoot better scores at higher magnifications. I like enough magnification to keep the crosshair in the black as it moves around. Too low on the magnification for me is when the crosshair is moving outside the bull.

And forget any notion that you can keep that crosshair from moving when shooting offhand with any appreciable amount of magnification. That's a myth. Don't fight it. The trick is to relax and time trigger release as the crosshair moves to the target. This means learning total trigger control, right down to knowing exactly when the trigger breaks. That old saw about good trigger technique being surprised when the gun goes off has no place, here. Good trigger technique is everything in offhand shooting.

Every shot is your first shot. It takes an enormous amount of mental discipline to do this when you've shot nine 10s and are one shot away from a perfect score.

Practice, practice, practice. Quit before you get fatigued. Fatigue opens the door for bad habits to develop and those can be very hard to eliminate.

The sense if accomplishment that comes with good offhand shooting is one of the great thrills in the shooting world. Hope this has helped. Best of luck.

#20 ·
Rimfiregal has detailed one method of offhand shooting very well. Tubbs reccomended the inverted J as a good way for new offhand shooters to break into the game. Some move side to side or up then down. Breaking the shot requires some leade... how much depends on distance to target, trial and error is the best teacher here.
I tried timed shooting and it just doesnt work well for me, too much sympathetic muzzle movement when i rush the trigger. I use the hold and squeeze method, NPA is extremely important. I do not know when the shot will break, but dont like to say its a surprise, i know its going to happen, just not when. The scope is not perfectly still, but the wobble, on good days, is well within the targets borders.
So, there are two different methods, shooters can try and see which suits them best, though neither will come to you quickly, practice and patience are required.
One benifit of timed shooting would be windy conditions. If wind is buffeting your body the hold and squeeze method suffers... greatly.

#21 ·
After much practice during a season, I can hold a 20x scope standing within the 8 ring all the time, and then go for the nine ring, and when things happen correctly( intended goal), it ends up locking on the ten ring and bingo.
Most of the time, for myself, I need approx 10 to 20, 30 warm up shots, to get the prior stated to happen.
My ultimate goal (working on it) would be to be able to warm up in just a couple shots.