woodsman help - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:20 PM
nirvana94

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
woodsman help

looking to buy a 3rd series match target. i got to handle and hunt rabbits with an uncle when i was a kid and he had a couple and it was the sweetest gun ive ever had in my hand now i want to get one and dont know how ive waited so long. my questions are im looking to shoot it and want a decent one so whats a fair price? does anyone make any new parts? what parts wear out and i should buy extra of? id really appreciate any help i tried search but for some reason i didnt find what i needed thanks
Old 02-20-2021, 10:01 PM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A good shooter, in about 90% condition, should run around $700-900. The 4 1/2 inch version tends to bring more money, on average, than the 6 inch.
If this is more than you wanted to spend, you might check out other similar handguns, such as those made by Browning (Buckmark), Ruger, Sig (Trailside), High Standard, or Smith and Wesson (Victory). Many of these can be bought for quite a bit less than the Woodsman.
There are some indoor ranges that will allow you to try out different models, so you can decide which you like best.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of the Woodsman. It was beautifully designed and made, but for practical shooting and hunting, there are other choices that are a lot less expensive and just as effective.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:36 PM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
but no 'other choices' are as cool......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2021, 11:30 PM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
nirvana94:

Should be able to get a nice 3rd gen Woodsman 6" Match Target for $1200 from GB without too much patience.

Yes, you can find some for less, but a Woodsman can be such a beautiful pistol, its a shame
to get one with dull blueing that's been 10% beat up.

I love mine, but they aren't setup for optics --- not even sure if/what it would take to make that happen.

But their iron sight simplicity is one of their charms . . .

Best of luck on your search!

Don

PS My Woodsman pistols are as reliable, if not more so, as any of my other semi-auto pistols.

Last edited by NVaVettes; 02-20-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:54 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Parts are available and you don't need to keep spares of anything on hand. I recently replaced springs on my second series sport after 40 years of shooting. The only exception is magazines can be expensive, original factory magazines are $100 and up.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:16 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryray View Post
Parts are available and you don't need to keep spares of anything on hand. I recently replaced springs on my second series sport after 40 years of shooting. The only exception is magazines can be expensive, original factory magazines are $100 and up.
Those second series tombstone magazines are very expensive! I thought the browning challenger-nomad-medalist were bad.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:25 PM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are very durable pistols. Spare springs ( firing pin, magazine, recoil) all available from wolff
Parts are still fairly common in the unlikely event you break something.
The poster here known as prewoodsman is the gunsmith expert on these, and is great to deal with regarding repairs and parts

For magazines, you just need to keep your eyes open.

One local shop ( not generally known for good deals) had genuine colt late model magazines for under $50 and I bought 2
Scavenging through junk boxes at gun shows got me another for $40.
My rough condition challenger needed a new magazine catch/ spring and I found one in a junk box at a gun show for a dollar.

While I have several more modern 22 pistols, the woodsman series has a grace and elegance unmatched by the modern stuff.

I actually prefer the somewhat beat up examples, as they generally shoot just as well, go for less money, and I would feel bad about using them a lot
Old 02-21-2021, 02:34 PM
prewoodsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And, any model within the Woodsman Series of Pistols 1915-1977 regardless of condition will only continue to appreciate in value, making for a smart investment.

Regards,
Tom Platt
[email protected]
Old 02-21-2021, 04:27 PM
Snigley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know they cost somewhat more, but I'm a fan of the second series. I love the early sights, push button mag release, and overall quality. These appear on Gun Broker on a fairly routine basis. Your rabbit hunting story takes me back 60 years to when I used to hunt rabbits in the Texas panhandle with my dad. It's what got me addicted to Woodsman's in the first place. FYI, Here you go.
https://texasguntrader.com/category/...CH-TARGET.html

Last edited by Snigley; 02-21-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:17 PM
Alter Rostig

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Woodsman

I’ve never had a part break on a woodsman, save for a rear sight blade. I consider the woodsman to be hands down the most reliable .22 pistol. I am particularly fond of the second issue, and consider the original tombstone magazine the most pleasant to load .22 magazine ever made. Why it hasn’t been copied is unfathomable. Surely ir wouldn’t cost that much more than a regular magazine, and is worth extra money for its utility.
Jack
Old 02-22-2021, 08:29 PM
nirvana94

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks a lot guys for all the advise and help i really appreciate it. after hearing what you guys had to say ill be looking for a 2nd or 3rd series. going through and looking at all your guns made it click in my head how good a time i had with that gun and how great and simple it felt and like mentioned yea you cant scope it or put a dot on it but i got others for that. thanks again for the advise and for hearing your stories and when i get one ill make sure to figure how to post a pic.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:41 PM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I know you said you are looking for a Match Target model and I certainly can't fault your thinking!

One thought you might want to keep in mind:

I have a simple sport model w/ the 4" barrel that doesn't look quite as oohh-aahh
as the MT, shoots as accurately as my MTs, but seems to do it with very little effort on my part.

Points simply and lines up on target naturally , trigger squeezes smoothly, shot invariably hits target. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My point is that you might not want to pass up a good condition Sport model if you
run accross one.

But as always, its just best to buy both!

Don
Old 02-23-2021, 08:31 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)
One of my favorite woodsman pistols is this 3rd series sport pistol .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2021, 08:44 PM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don’t overlook the “economy” versions of the woodsman - the huntsman and challenger. My personal challenger was purchased at auction for under $200. It looks to have lead a hard life maybe a trap line gun. Pitting finish loss warped grips. After a little help from prewoodsman with an internal problem, it runs like a top, one of my most reliable .22 pistols. Unfortunately my only woodsman series pistol for the moment. If I run across another in the series in rough shape in need of a home at the right price I will certainly adopt it. Both this pistol and an older prewoodsman I had years ago, were as accurate for me as my model 41 smith 17 and a host of other pistols I have used in bullseye competitions over the years