Recently picked up some match ammo, Expectations????? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 PM
Darrell Davis
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Recently picked up some match ammo, Expectations?????

It is really, to me, fun to shoot tiny groups and that has driven me to owning at least two VERY accurate .22 rimfires.

The first was a Clark Custom RUGER 77/22 with Walther barrel that has gone home with a son and a RUGER 10/22 that I bought to "just shoot" and not trick out. Ya, like that wasn't going to happen.

This rifle that wasn't going to be, is a joy to shoot and the most accurate rifle I have ever owned shooting my best to date best with some Lapua ammo. A 1/8" center to center 5 shot 50yd. group. Feddersen barrel on this ever so fun rifle. AWESOME.

Anyway, before and during the time I owned the CRuger, I bought a number of samples of high end rimfire ammo but with some, my stash if getting really low.

In the last few months I have added to that diminishing stash with some of the following and just wonder what may be the personal experience from some of you folk.

Now, I am fully aware that each rifle is a rule unto itself, but just looking for any comments as per the new additions. As an example of this knowledge, I have always had the opinion that CCI Green Tag was at best so so in the accuracy department but in my 10/22 I have shot a 5 shot group of 3/16" at 50yds.

So, not holding anyone's nose to the fire over this, just looking for your personal results and opinions on the following.

RWS Target Rifle

RWS Rifle Match

SK Rifle Match

Norma Elite Grade Match-22

Although our recent warmer weather and rain have greatly decreased our snow levels it is still likely that it will be a couple months or more before I have the opportunity for any quality bench time.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Last edited by Darrell Davis; 02-20-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
1. SK
2. RWS

I haven't shot the norma
Old 02-20-2017, 10:01 PM
KScott_NZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RWS Rifle Match is like a laser in my CS452 I use for silhouette comp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2017, 11:40 PM
Sigep1764

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rws tarrget sport is a little on the expensive side, but i shoot a brick of it a month. Im limited to 25 yards at my indoor range and its really consistent in my 455
Old 02-21-2017, 07:55 AM
karls42

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
the really good stuff is
R50
Midas +
Eley 10x
in cold weather Lapua Polar Biathlon
Old 02-21-2017, 10:56 AM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Darrell, I'd try CCI SV initially - some of my rifles shoot that as well as anything else - and get a baseline and then move up to SK Magazine and/or SK Standard Plus/Wolf Match Target next. If those do well you can just stop there and save yourself a little $$. The SK Rifle Match/Wolf Match Extra is a little more costly because it is subject to better quality control but it's my understanding that they come off the same production lines. In my experience, if your .22 likes the lower cost SK/Wolf alternatives, all things being equal, it will also like the slightly higher priced alternatives. Lot-to-lot variance is often greater than the variation between lower/higher prices.

I don't have a lot of experience with RWS Target Rifle but the higher end Special Match and R-50 is good stuff so, if the SK/Wolf doesn't pan out, then by all means give it a try.

Finally, don't forget Eley Target and the Norma Tac-22 as they can shoot well in some rifles, too.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 02-21-2017, 11:44 AM
RaleighTactical
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The RWS is pricy, but very accurate.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:01 PM
JCIII

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
None of the RWS line performed as I wanted in my 452. SK plus and target have both done well but Wolf match extra and target are head and shoulders Above the others in my gun. CCI sv is a waste of money in my rifle, Eley HV hp's smoke if that tells you anything. Your mileage may vary, but unless the top 2-3 offerings by Lapua or Eley, Wolf certainly deserves a shot, literally

Good luck, experimenting is fun in itself.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Darrell Davis
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do have a small stash of most of the high end match/target ammos, as well as Wolf and have or will test them, but as said earlier, just wonder what results some of you folk have had with those I listed.

Watching and reading. Thanks

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old 02-22-2017, 07:14 PM
RED HORSE
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pretty sure Clark uses SK match. At least that is what they used when I bought mine about 4 years ago.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 AM
Doug
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I have been fiddling around with different 22 LR match ammo brands trying to find that which works best in MY new-to-me rifle for under 'about' $18 a box. I do not complete except with myself. The results below are over a period of about 9 months, with a minimum of maybe 400 rounds fired. The group size is measured center to center (widest diameter group size in inches less .22 inch). All ammo was bought in the last year.

Remember these are MY results in My rifle using MY equipment:
Gorham custom build, Falcon barrel, Sightron 10-50x scope (at 35x), Sinclair front rest, 50 yards, none to light wind. I don't use wind flags:

Various lots of Eley Match: 0.250 inches, ranging from .070 to .4, std dev < .10
Some lots averaged under .240 inches - I'd buy more, but can't find those.

Various lots of Lapua Midas +: 0.275, ranging from 0.157 to about .4, std dev <.20

Various lots of Norma Match-22: 0.295, std dev <.10

Various lots of Lapua Center-X: 0.305, std dev <.15

My conclusions? I wish I could get the Eley Match lot my rifle likes! In my opinion, the more we pay for 22 match ammo the more consistent it will be in that particular rifle. I have have very nice groups even with Wolf Match Target, but there is very little consistency not just lot to lot, but round to round. The average in this rifle is over .4 inch.

At this time in my life I don't use "practice" ammo. I can afford the fodder under $18, so that's all I shoot. I have other rifles that do NOT replicate the results above, which just goes to show how our rifles seem to have their own innate preferences. For instance, I had a CZ 452 that did very well with Wolf Match Target (or the SK equivalent). But that rifle liked very little else.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:25 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I am a member of two different clubs, both of which have a weekly 50 yard bench rest shoot. The majority of the guys shoot SK Standard + and do fairly well with it, I shoot it and win every so often, but the dang stuff is like Cracker Jacks, there's a surprise in every box, sometimes 3 or 4, flyers out in the 9 ring at 6 or 12. A guy gave me two boxes of Midas +, I shot my best score ever with that stuff but just cant afford it.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:29 PM
DUKHUNTER64
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 455 Thumbhole fluted barrel. Thus far it really likes in the following order.
SK Match
Wolf match extra
SK standard plus
CCI SV.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Dandrews
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My choices;

Benchrest Rifle likes Midas +

Anschutz 1712 likes Midas +

Kidd 1022 likes Midas +
Old 03-30-2017, 07:06 AM
Doug
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandrews View Post
My choices;

Benchrest Rifle likes Midas +

Anschutz 1712 likes Midas +

Kidd 1022 likes Midas +
I think you gotta stick with Midas +, eh?

I sorta wish my rifle preferred it over Eley Match (see my post above). The Midas + seems to chamber easier in my rifle, and in general is cleaner and I like its box (silly reason I know but those Eley boxes are a pain!). A little of the Eley lube is scraped off the bullet when it is chambered, and that accumulates enough to bother me after 50 rounds or so. Right now that is not a problem as I test ammo as I rarely go more than 30 rounds without running a 3-4 patches down the tube to eliminate the lube between different manufactures (like between Eley and Lapua).

One issue I have that I apparently will never solve: While one brand/model/lot number of ammo works best for me, by the time I've figured that out I can no longer get that lot number. I just don't shoot enough to buy 100 rounds of several brand/model/lot numbers, test then immediately, determine which is best, then order a bunch of that "good stuff". So I suppose I will just have to order Eley Match without regard to the lot number.