Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:44 PM
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Keep me clean or else

Setup is a older 10/22 w/VQ 16" tension barrel and weighted bolt combo.

Had my second blow out last week. Last year I had one when my VQ weighted bolt had the screws back out of the weight and this year it was all my fault. I had oiled the barrel when put away last fall and when I pulled it out last week to use it I just load a couple mags and started blasting gophers. After 20 shots the chamber got sticky and needed help closing and after doing that two or three times I decided to park it till I could clean it, realizing the oil had slide into chamber and was holding crud. Had a live round stuck in chamber that wouldnt eject so like a big stupid I dropped the mag, "forward assisted the bolt", held it at arms length (almost like I knew) and fired. Kapow, blew out the back of case. Even had to use a "right" size tap screws into the case and tap out with a cleaning rod below is the case and it shows just how dirty the chamber was. When I got it home I also discovered the guide rod was marred and bent. Seems odd but it happened

Moral of the story, if you wanna play, you gotta keep it clean and follow the rules. I knew better but "Gunther" made me do it.

On a side not found out JWH "Competition" bolt guide rod is a close copy of VQ and I had one so installed that and the +10 spring. It felt much more stronger than VQ's. I'll try it next week again to so how it runs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200702_231432.jpg (301.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20200702_231442.jpg (301.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by nodak; 07-13-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:27 AM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
I wonder if its a freebore issue?

My magnum research has so many rounds down it I'm beginning to worry the barrel might not live a lot longer. Still no blowouts.

The vq always shot better, but they seem to blow far more common.

Weatherby used crazy freebore to offset pressure spikes, Remington was bad about it with early ultra mags as well. Wonder if the better freebore for accuracy increases the problem of kaboom...
Old 07-03-2020, 08:13 PM
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Not sure if thats ever been discussed. I know that i can drop a round in the chamber and tipped up itll fall right out. It %%%% accurate for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2020, 08:30 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
When my deep dive in to big boomers started the migration went from factory to custom. The big change was throat length, a factory ultramag or weatherby has a throat so long you will never mag load anything in the lands. Swapping to a reamer that allowed mag length seating in the lands will pop primers out at normally safe loads. Had a buddy recently who did a short throat 300 rum, his starting loads from a previous barrel smoked primers every 10 rounds and would stick in the chamber to the point they had to be driven out by a mallet. But boy they shoot better when you dial them in, just took a lighter load. With rimfires load development isn't possible, so we get the occasional kapow.

I have a bore scope that needs to be setup, I'd love to take a look at them and then maybe chamber cast to compare barrels thst havent ever had a kablam with one that has.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:52 PM
natman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Failure of the bolt to close completely because of a dirty chamber is "a" cause of KABOOMS. However it is NOT tho "only" cause. It's quite possible to have a KABOOM on a pristine chamber.

The tiny 17 bore doesn't allow the pressure to drop and it's possible to have the bolt start to open before the bullet has left the barrel. With the high pressure the case ruptures if this happens.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:58 PM
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Pressure curve is the key issue and the reason noone kept selling a 17hm2 conversion. I have experimented allot over the years and i can say without any question my 10" barreled charger is the smoothest running 17hm2 semi i have ever experienced or heard of. It also clocks the rounds at 2000fps, give or take 10. Its the sweet spot. If i were a wise guy id just SBR it and never look back but i do enjoy Charger shooting.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:10 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I think the magic math was 13.2 and it's all peachy, sadly nfa rules keep us from going there. One board member played with a gas port, my barrels are c.f. or fluted so didn't want to try anything like that, especially since replacements are like hens teeth.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:12 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sorry misread something. I only use Dry Lube in all my Rimfires though. Including my Mach 2. Liquid Oil never gets introduced into any of my Rimfires. Even for Storage. Never a problem that way.

Last edited by carbineone; 07-11-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:41 PM
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Just ran 150 rounds through it tonight popping gophers. Boresnake each 50rnds. Worked great and ran better with the +10 spring
Old 07-12-2020, 08:02 AM
roddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On a (sort of) related topic, how is your 455 working? I'm getting ready to order a L.W. HM2 barrel for my 457, and haven't seen any updates on that project for a while.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:37 AM
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
On a (sort of) related topic, how is your 455 working? I'm getting ready to order a L.W. HM2 barrel for my 457, and haven't seen any updates on that project for a while.
The 455 is running perfect. Still most accurate 17hm2 ive touched. Id buy again without reserve. If my RAR doesnt ring out pretty soon ill be doing another LW barreled 455 in 22mag
Old 07-13-2020, 05:41 PM
roddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
The 455 is running perfect. Still most accurate 17hm2 ive touched. Id buy again without reserve. If my RAR doesnt ring out pretty soon ill be doing another LW barreled 455 in 22mag
Good to hear and thanks for the update. What did you end up using for a thread protector?
Old 07-13-2020, 09:22 PM
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Good question. I can't remember off hand. Let me go look.

It's a Savage MKII FVSR thread protector. Matches OD about perfect. I had ordered a couple when I still owned one. Savage won't sell you parts without a serial number.

Last edited by nodak; 07-13-2020 at 09:25 PM.