Buying Recomendations CZ 512 VS Mossberg Chuckster - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:34 PM
Cueball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have a Chuckster in very nice condition with a scope and it is very smooth for quick follow up shots. Accuracy is exceptional. I've put down squirrels, groundhogs and coyotes with it. You won't go wrong with the Mossberg. I have a couple CZ's, both 452's so I have no experience with the 22wmr but my 452's are extremely accurate. I would guess the same would hold true for the magnums as well. You will probably be happy with either choice, but I would get the Chuckster.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:31 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another vote for a CZ 512.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:17 AM
redear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both and would go with the 512 cz, lots of fire power with the semi and mine is very accurate, moreso after breaking it in. My chuckster is accurate but it has a chambering/jamming problem but it will put the fed 50 gr. in 1/2" at 60 yds. the scope situation with the chuckster is difficult unless using long eye relief scopes. I wouldn't give a dime for bkl rings, the set I bought were junk.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:32 PM
cdb

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I’ve had my 512 since 2012, they were hard to come by then. Mine is as accurate as any bolt action I’ve ever shot. A local gunsmith who is something of a trigger whisperer did a fantastic job on my rifle.

I’d never heard of the Chuckster until reading this thread.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:42 PM
cdb

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just looked up some pictures of a Chuckster. Is it just me or is the length of the receiver very long behind the bolt?
Old 07-13-2020, 04:49 PM
Pecci

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Chuckster's twin sister, sold as the Westernfield 822. It's my fav. but it has a lot of sentiment behind it. It's beautiful & a great shooter, with 40 & 50 gr. ammo. Love the quirkiness to it!

All CZ's seem to be great, I have 4 & love them as well. I kind of like the idea of getting the Mossberg 1st & seeing if it is for you. If not, there are many that would spring for it.

In conclusion ... No wrong choice here, or get them both!
Old 07-13-2020, 05:01 PM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've owned both. The chuckster was years back. I currently have a CZ 512. Everyone tries to be helpful, but in the end it's up to you. Your decision. I think you will be a winner with whichever you choose. Good luck.
Jack
Old 07-15-2020, 11:34 PM
LarryG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since no one directly mentioned it, the Mossberg 640 scope mount grooves are too far forward due to the action design chosen and bolt placement. I suppose scopes were quite different in the day they designed this, and it wasn't an issue. But it is these days, as scopes are more compact and shorter with less forward/rear mounting adjustment. I found only a few scopes that would work at all on the Mossberg and they were vintage Redfields Widefields etc. All the others were neck strainers, and I do have a longish neck to begin with.

So then you're into the BKL 274 rings (which sit kind of high for the stock's cheek height) to solve that problem. But I prefer a lower mounted scope so I can put my chubby cheek somewhere. So of the two, I have a friend who is quite happy with the cz 512, I would go with that.

Have you considered the ruger american in 22 mag? The flush nine shot mag is particularly nice on this one.
I have (had) two chucksters and one american in 22 mag ( compact). I definitely prefer it over the mossberg personally. It gives up nothing in accuracy, is lighter, has a flush rotary magazine, is shorter, and allows "proper" scope mounting.

Last edited by LarryG; 07-15-2020 at 11:38 PM.