Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:20 PM
Longlivedixie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trigger over-travel screw

Thanks to the forum for letting me in.

I tried looking this info up using the search function, but I could not seem to get it to work.

I have a simple question about the trigger over-travel adjustment screw. I have a Buckmark produced in the mid-90's.

It has an over-travel screw in the trigger, but I cannot seem to figure out how to adjust it. The front or face of the screw only has a very small round hole.......no allen screw hole. I tried several different allen wrenches, but being the hole looks to only be round, no allen wrench will turn it.

So, how can I adjust that little booger??

Thanks much!
Old 06-02-2020, 08:08 PM
wood-man
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The screw is filled with a clear sealer that is why no allen will fit. I had the same problem with my Buckmark Target 5.5. I finally took an old dental pick and dug the sealer out of the screw. After you clean it out a 1/16" allen fits
Old 06-02-2020, 11:32 PM
Longlivedixie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood-man View Post
The screw is filled with a clear sealer that is why no allen will fit. I had the same problem with my Buckmark Target 5.5. I finally took an old dental pick and dug the sealer out of the screw. After you clean it out a 1/16" allen fits

Ahhhhhh.......yes. I neglected to mention I had dug some crud out, but I must not have dug enough out. Plus I only used a paper clip. I am sure the dental pick you suggest will do a better job of it.

Plus it helps a lot knowing what size allen wrench to use! And that it in-fact is an allen screw! Ha!

Lemme get on that tomorrow and I will holler back with my results.

Thnaks a bunch Wood-Man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2020, 01:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
righty tighty until it won't release the sear pulling the trigger. The back it off until you get it to brake and then a wee bit more to get a clean consistent break.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:30 AM
wood-man

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
An air compressor helps too. Pick at the screw then blast it with 100 psi.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:23 AM
Longlivedixie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
righty tighty until it won't release the sear pulling the trigger. The back it off until you get it to brake and then a wee bit more to get a clean consistent break.

Yes, thanks. I can get her adjusted when I get access to the screw.

Appreciate it!
Old 06-03-2020, 12:30 PM
Longlivedixie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood-man View Post
An air compressor helps too. Pick at the screw then blast it with 100 psi.
Thanks again! I finally got the stuff cleaned out. It was like concrete it seems. Finally got it after letting some penetrate soak in it for a while. Even then it was very contrary. But, I finally got it out and got her nicely adjusted.

I had honed on the hammer/sear engagement a bit much. She started out at 40 ozs. I honed and honed and only got her down to about 35 ozs. So I beared down a little more and she fell from 35 ozs to 16 ozs in one step! Whoa! I was trying to get her in the mid-20's. Oh well. I expect to get used to her.

I just hope that with wear she does not stop catching all togather. I don't wanna have to replace the sear!

I will try and post a picture. But Google Photos often does not work for me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xTta1NNJXFBqcJga8

Appreciate it much!!
Old 06-03-2020, 01:42 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longlivedixie View Post
I had honed on the hammer/sear engagement a bit much. She started out at 40 ozs. I honed and honed and only got her down to about 35 ozs. So I beared down a little more and she fell from 35 ozs to 16 ozs in one step! Whoa! I was trying to get her in the mid-20's. Oh well. I expect to get used to her.
That seems like a strange result. What surface(s) of the sear (and/or hammer) were you modifying?

Usually major changes in pull weight are achieved by changes to the sear spring (and/or mainspring). Stoning the sear or hammer is usually used to smooth and shorten the creep, and to straighten and sharpen the edges for a cleaner, crisper break. Smoothing those surfaces might give the 40oz -> 35oz change, but I'm not understanding how it could result in the 35oz -> 16oz change... unless you accidentally did the Heggis Flip (installed the sear spring upside down) during reassembly.

Dave
Old 06-04-2020, 11:59 AM
Longlivedixie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
That seems like a strange result. What surface(s) of the sear (and/or hammer) were you modifying?

Usually major changes in pull weight are achieved by changes to the sear spring (and/or mainspring). Stoning the sear or hammer is usually used to smooth and shorten the creep, and to straighten and sharpen the edges for a cleaner, crisper break. Smoothing those surfaces might give the 40oz -> 35oz change, but I'm not understanding how it could result in the 35oz -> 16oz change... unless you accidentally did the Heggis Flip (installed the sear spring upside down) during reassembly.

Dave
I just polished the top surface and front surface of what I understand to be the sear. The part that sits directly below the hammer and engages it when cocked. I done it while in the gun. I used a Dremel tool with the finest sandpaper pad they have. I did not disassemble it beyond taking off the slide.

That change demanded that the over-travel screw be adjusted to take out some introduced slack in it. The trigger now is pretty doggone amazing. I just hope with wear that it will hold.

Thanks!