Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:33 PM
22lrJohn
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walther Sportmodell

Just picked up a Walther Sportmodell Nitro - definitely a project gun. Bore appeared a little pitted and dirty but is cleaning up very nicely - sharp rifling! Bolt s/n does not match the receiver s/n, but leaves a great imprint on a casing.

There are references to police trainers for this type of single shot rifle. I will let the photos speak to the marking details. I have not seen any photos with this type of stock.

In the distant past, someone bedded the barreled action and added a "No Kick Coming" recoil pad - now very hard rubber. Part of the plastic on the trigger guard is cracked and loose... I will try Larry Potterfield's method for plastic repair (a Midway USA video).

Look forward to any comments!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1067.jpg (496.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1065.jpg (496.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1068.jpg (495.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1076.jpg (494.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1093.jpg (505.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-16-2020, 07:45 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Here's my take:

It started life as a "trainer" Sportmodell V (the lack of any grooves on the receiver gives it away), which was Walther's answer to the ubiquitous Deutsches Sportmodell (DSM34) of the pre-war era. Walther also made some of the regular DSM34s, so go figure.
It would have had a military style stock, and the stock you show is an amateurish replacement, attempting to copy the Walther target stocks that were used on some models of this rifle. The picture below shows the various models, including your rifle's original configuration the second one from the top. It's common for the trigger guards on these to be broken. At any rate, it will undoubtedly be a good shooter, as any of mine have been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DU9cyp2l.jpg (49.2 KB, 97 views)
Old 09-16-2020, 12:00 PM
22lrJohn
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Here's my take:

It started life as a "trainer" Sportmodell V (the lack of any grooves on the receiver gives it away), which was Walther's answer to the ubiquitous Deutsches Sportmodell (DSM34) of the pre-war era. Walther also made some of the regular DSM34s, so go figure.
It would have had a military style stock, and the stock you show is an amateurish replacement, attempting to copy the Walther target stocks that were used on some models of this rifle. The picture below shows the various models, including your rifle's original configuration the second one from the top. It's common for the trigger guards on these to be broken. At any rate, it will undoubtedly be a good shooter, as any of mine have been.
Thank you for the information! It has been sitting in a rack, for sale, for a while. Picked it up for under $200, I figured it might be a fun project. The action is smooth and the bore is really looking nice, now.

The stock definitely has the look of a home job. The in-letting and bedding are a bit sloppy. The sporter ones I have seen on line are definitely nicer!

The rest of the tasks for this project are:

drifting in a front sight - fortunately, it has the ramp
fixing the trigger guard or buying a replacement
finding an original rear trigger guard / take down bolt. Currently, it has a long bolt and washer.
Finally, getting to the range to see how it shoots!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2020, 01:13 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There were a number of different contract versions of these that look pretty similar, and some that have a very different look from that time frame and for much later after WWII... I have an Erma that is very similar to your Walther. I didn't see your bolt in the pics , so I wonder if it has the claw extractor like the Model 98's of their time...

Many of these came over in crates and they weren't exactly packed gently. I've seen crates of these that were just tossed in and nailed shut and they sold for almost nothing at the time. My Erma was in terrible shape when I bought it and I got it pretty cheap. I had the gunsmith I got it from remove the front sight ramp, drill and tap the receiver for bases, and polish and reblue it. The wood wasn't salvageable, so I restocked it in a very nice piece of walnut crotch I had that wasn't suitable for anything but a rimfire due to grain structure... it shoots very well and is a really beautiful rifle after the work . An oddity of mine is with the long 27" barrel, it is has a very quiet report when shot.... I'll see if I can post a pic or two of it...

Forgot to mention I also had a machinist friend of mine make me a right swing/short swing safety wing for it. He needed to borrow my bolt to make a bunch of the claw extractors for various versions of these that needed them. It wasn't unusual for these to show up missing parts or having broken parts and finding small parts like these is extremely difficult. I believe he sold a pretty good number of the claw extractors with springs, safety wings, and other parts he created to several gunsmiths... this was quite some time ago so don't ask me if he is still doing this, I just don't know...

Bob

Last edited by BobSc; 09-16-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:43 PM
22lrJohn
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beautiful rifle!

Below are photos of the bolt not included in the original post. On closer inspection, I see that the bolt s/n matches the rifle. Weak stamp...

I also started looking for spare parts, on eBay, and saw the same style bolt listed for $440 and a trigger group for $130. I paid $175 for the rifle but will not consider parting it out!

I am searching for a spare trigger guard (it's shorter than the one on your rifle) in case my repair doesn't turn out. The Midway USA video makes plastic repairs look easy!

Ultimately, I will look for a different stock, as the LOP without the 'very dried out' recoil pad is too short of a fit for my taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1094 2.jpg (494.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1095 2.jpg (494.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1097 2.jpg (487.3 KB, 0 views)