Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:45 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone have the Performance Center T/CR22 version?

Has anyone tried the T/C Performance Center version of the R22 yet? I just saw a review of it in the American Rifleman mag, and remembered they did a review of the basic R22 last year, so I dug out the old issue to see how the two compared on paper from a performance standpoint.

They test using five 10-shot groups at 50 yards with three types of ammo. Unfortunately, they tested each gun with a different group of those three ammo types, so a direct comparison isn’t possible. However, for those of you that haven’t seen the reviews, the results are below.

T/C R22 Performance Center

CCI Mini-Mag - 0.84”
Norma Tac-22 - 0.74”
Rem 22 Target - 0.93”

Avg. Extreme Spread 0.84”

T/C R22 (basic model)

Blazer - 0.96”
CCI SV - 0.86”
Norma Match 22 - 0.99”

Avg. Extreme Spread 0.93”

The Performance Center version has a completely different (ambidextrous thumbhole) stock, stainless steel fluted barrel, and carries an MSRP of $497 vs. the basic MSRP of $399 (at time of original test).

I’m not in the market for the Performance Center version, since I bought the basic R22 version a little over one year ago when they first came out. But, for those in the market, and putting aside the fact that the MSRP won’t be street price, do you think the Performance Center improvements are worth the $100 increase?

Last edited by cabin22; 03-25-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:44 AM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have not tried either, but at the prices they are, I would probably buy the factory one, not the Performance Center. $100 more doesn't seem to give that much more accuracy, but maybe at further distances the differences may be more pronounced?

However, the upgrades sound like they are worth more than $100 on the street if you were to buy them after, so maybe it is a good deal.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:23 PM
staff3704
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the basic model and I like it. I got a good price on the one I bought new. I paid about $50 more than the base 10/22. If you consider just the threaded barrel, it is worth the extra $. But you also get a better stock (unless you want to just bench rest it) and a better rail sight system. You also get a hold open last shot system (with the TC mag) but that is a wash because it is harder to load the first round. Is the $100 extra for the Performance Center model worth it? It depends. Street price might be less than $100 diff. You indicated thumbhole stock, stainless barrel, and "extra features". What extra features? I have shot mine but not spent a lot of range time with mine. If the Performance Center one is more accurate, I'd say yes. Oh, I've not seen the Performance Center model because the base model had most of what I wanted.

Last edited by staff3704; 03-24-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020, 09:15 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by staff3704 View Post
You indicated thumbhole stock, stainless barrel, and "extra features". What extra features?
After rereading the American Rifleman article, it appears the "other features" are cosmetic., i.e., a bead blasted finish on the aluminum receiver vs. the basic black on my original version. I couldn't find anything else different other than the stock & barrel. My original post has been edited to remove that slippery phrase.

I see they now make several other versions using two additional types of thumbhole stocks and different barrels, at varying price points.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:51 PM
JPWILLY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just purchased a Performance Center T/CR22 carbon fiber barrel and Hogue Thumbhole stock. Wonít have it for a couple weeks but will report back after I get it out to the target range.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:21 PM
Dobeardsley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JPWILLY: any range reports yet?
Old 08-23-2020, 06:35 PM
Gasguy
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Performance model, so far I have tried 11 different manufacturers and 25 different offerings from them, trying to find which ammo this rifle likes the most. .

So far, Armcor SV and Norma Match are the only two it doesn't like. They were 0.33in and 0.22in larger groups. The rest are all within 0.12 in group spacing of each other. Granted I only shot tests at 25 yards, but I expected a real standout to show. Routine was 5 shots to clear the barrel and 5 shots for group. Its going to cost me more than expected to find out which is best at 50 yards.

Last edited by Gasguy; 08-23-2020 at 06:37 PM. Reason: correct to
Old 08-25-2020, 02:11 PM
Dobeardsley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, 50 yards will tell the story better.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:25 PM
JPWILLY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobeardsley View Post
Not yet however I have picked it up from my FFL last week, mounted an old 6-18x44 target dot scope, and installed a new Kidd 2 1/4 lb trigger return spring light polishing on the sear, Trigger now breaks at 2.5lb exactly every time. I grabbed a three pack of BX-1 10 round mags and itís ready for next outing possibly next weekend.

Fit and finish is great, didnít know if I would like the Houge ambi thumbhole stock but it fits me great. Ran a bore scope down the bore and the riflings are crisp, crown is cut clean, donít see anything wrong with it so far very happy with the purchase.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:12 PM
staff3704
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would like to know if the Performance Center TCR 22 has a better trigger than the standard one. After more time with mine, I have found the amount of creep to be terrible in the standard one. If the trigger is significantly better, maybe it is worth the extra $$. I would spend the $$ to get a much better trigger. Oh wait - I just did. Sent it to Brimstone to see what he could do with it. I like the last shot hold open if I decide to shoot Rimfire Steel Challenge again.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:16 PM
WPWarhawk
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to WPWarhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasguy View Post
I have the Performance model, so far I have tried 11 different manufacturers and 25 different offerings from them, trying to find which ammo this rifle likes the most. .

So far, Armcor SV and Norma Match are the only two it doesn't like. They were 0.33in and 0.22in larger groups. The rest are all within 0.12 in group spacing of each other. Granted I only shot tests at 25 yards, but I expected a real standout to show. Routine was 5 shots to clear the barrel and 5 shots for group. Its going to cost me more than expected to find out which is best at 50 yards.
Which version do you have? Iím interested in the carbon fiber barrel one.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:01 PM
JPWILLY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobeardsley View Post
Sunday morning I was finally able to get out to my spot! Had been too hot but it has finally cooled down in Phoenix AZ by a good 10-15 degrees making a morning 8-11am desert range session possible. So armed with my new Performance Center TCR22 Sporting the .920Ē Carbon Fiber/SS barrel. I was waiting for black Bart to show up....wait Christmas is not for a few more months.

Only mod was a Kidd trigger return spring and light polishing of sear. Some Remington Golden bullets were used for initial function check...I had preloaded my 4 magazines with this poor quality ammo for this very thing. Then I set up at 25 yards to zero. CCI Standard Velocity was used and it also cycled great, somewhat surprised by that, however the scope ran out of upwards adjustment. Iím aware that the 10/22 design with loose fitting barrels and v block mounting system can have this common problem With low POI. Apparently mine does too.

Wind was gusty from 8-12mph right to left.

shooting with a front bipod and rear bag, from a Walmart 6í folding plastic table I was able to shoot four 5-shot groups from .18Ē to .29Ē holding top of target (Dirty Bird target has 16 3Ē targets per sheet) then moved the Target out to 50yards...best 5-shot group was .49Ē but shot most consistently between .6Ē-.7Ē with horizontal stringing from wind using CCI SV. Still could not zero scope had to hold bullseye and groups were ~1Ē low @50 yards.

Rifle wants to shoot havenít broken in or tried any match ammo yet. First I need to fix the barrel droop so I can zero and still have adjustment left.

Pinked clay targets from 75-125 yards to wrap up and headed home.

Took rifle apart at home to investigate barrel fit with the receiver and itís not a press fit, barrel slides right out and you can move barrel up and down enough to get 1/4Ē or more play muzzle end Once v block is removed. With v block installed it pulls barrel down when snug, I made a shim with coke can shaped Exactly like the receiver extension refit the barrel and it eliminated to droop.

Will see if this fixes the low POI and if it stays accurate or will be looking into a new V block That will lift the barrel.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:56 PM
Dobeardsley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the report! It appears very positive so far. Iím sure youíll have that barrel figured out in no time, you may already have. Iíve not had any cycling issues with any ammo Iíve tried so far either, other than an occasional poorly loaded shell. Thatís one huge thumbs up for Thompson Center, really reliable feeding and ejecting.

My story, briefly, with my Altamont stocked rifle with a steel fluted barrel, is I could not get the accuracy I was looking for. The borescope showed lots of rough machining marks both lands and grooves, I was disappointed to see that for a PC inhouse barrel. Barrels like that often shoot well in spite of the marks, so I gave it a chance but in the end I bought a Kidd barrel. No comparison whatsoever. Itís the first time Iíve changed barrels on any rifle and it went straightforward. Way tighter fit, and far more accurate and consistent with most ammo Iíve tried. Great success shooting sage rats up here with CCI Subsonic HPs. Oh, I almost forgot, right away I sent the trigger to Brimstone, itís now very good, not perfect, but good enough.

Also, when I received the rifle the punch pin that holds the firing pin down near the end of the bolt was missing! They wanted me to send the whole rifle back to them but I found one that has worked perfectly at auto parts store.

Now, Iím a bolt guy, this is my first semi auto 22, and Iíve shot some NRL22 matches with my bolt guns, but have yet to use the TCR22, but itís a plenty good enough shooter.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:18 AM
JPWILLY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good report.

Mine functioned as is should too, I like the overall quality of the finish and the features at this price point however a performance center version should Not come with a loose barrel that droops (that runs the optic only rifle out of upwards adjustment) and an accuracy guarantee. For $0 money Iím sure Iíll be able to resolve this issue but really shouldnít have to And may end up spending $20 on a block. I do think the Carbon Fiber barrel will be a Good shooter though and may end up with a Kidd Barrel Too just because