Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:36 PM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Dove recipes

Since tomorrow is the dove opener in many states, thot to start w/a link to a very tasty dove recipe that I've used before:

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/beverages/bev08.htm

Feel free to add your own & good shooting to all of you that pursue those grey ghosts!

Old 08-31-2020, 05:24 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One use.....

Grandma would sometimes cook dove or pigeon in the tomato sauce and eat the breasts with pasta.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Send a message via AIM to bilrus61
here ya go.......

take just the breasts of course. Let the breasts soak in water for two days in the fridge. Using a woden toothpick twirrel in the shot hole to remove feathers carried by the shot. Rinse.

Use corn oil in cast iron skillet. Roll dove in flour. Fry dove in hot oil with the keel up. Low heat. Sprinkle some extra flour on dove before you turn on side. Do NOT over cook. Now remove doves and place doves in corning ware dish. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.

Drain off extra oil till just a bout two tablespoons are in skillet. Add in a heaping spoon of flower and stir. Let the flour brown for about 3 mintues and then ad 4 cups of milk. Wait till milk bubbles. Now pour that grave over doves and put top on dish and place in oven for 20 minutes. Serve to someone you love!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2020, 10:36 PM
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Using just his fingers (no knife) my nephew can pop the breasts out of a dove almost as fast as you can snap your fingers.

Opening day of dove season, there was always a whole pig on the charcoal grill,

My nephew would pop out the breasts, dredge them in butter, and toss them on the charcoal grill.

In a few minutes,, they were ready to eat,,

After everyone had their fill of dove breast,, he would ice the remaining breasts, and fire up the propane,,
then, he would deep fry a turkey,,,

By 1 o'clock in the afternoon, the pig was picked, turkey eaten, and most everybody had some dove breasts in their cooler,, as they were heading home,,,
Old 08-31-2020, 11:31 PM
thudd3r
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
poppers...

marinade the breasts over night, cut each breast in half

stuff half a jalapeno with cheese and breast

wrap with bacon...grill
Old 09-07-2020, 07:36 AM
BigTimePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wish I could eat dove... When I was a kid, I had a bad culinary experience with them. My friend's dad made dove hearts quickly sauté with soy sauce. One of the saltiest, nastiest experiences of my whole life.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:13 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (256)
My standard procedure is to prep each side of the breast by soaking in salt water for several hours or even longer, wrap each one with a half-strip of bacon secured with a round toothpick, and put 'em on the grill, turning once for about three minutes each side. Just like filet mignon.

Doug
Old 09-11-2020, 03:53 PM
SilentAssassin1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Start with a brown gravy from scratch.
1: Brown your squirrel in an iron skillet.
2: add your dove and brown it too.
3: In a black iron pot start your gravy from scratch...........add your oil....bring it to temp. Add flour. Constantly stirring with a wooden spoon so as not to burn your gravy. As the mixture turns brown, continue to stir until it reaches the color you want your gravy.
4: You should have your onions , garlic, bell pepper and all herd and spices at the ready , as your mixture goes on to brown.
5: as your gravy reaches its color.........throw your herbs in..........this cools it down quickly and keeps it from burning.
6: Add water...........stir it up nicely.........throw your squirrel and dove into the iron pot.....bring to a boil..then lower the heat to a slow bubbling..cover with a lid...........stew it down slowly for about 2 hours. Then slightly uncover lid to thicken gravy as it stews.

Serve with rice. It will be slap yo momma good.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:02 AM
BigTimePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAssassin1 View Post
Start with a brown gravy from scratch.
1: Brown your squirrel in an iron skillet.
2: add your dove and brown it too.
3: In a black iron pot start your gravy from scratch...........add your oil....bring it to temp. Add flour. Constantly stirring with a wooden spoon so as not to burn your gravy. As the mixture turns brown, continue to stir until it reaches the color you want your gravy.
4: You should have your onions , garlic, bell pepper and all herd and spices at the ready , as your mixture goes on to brown.
5: as your gravy reaches its color.........throw your herbs in..........this cools it down quickly and keeps it from burning.
6: Add water...........stir it up nicely.........throw your squirrel and dove into the iron pot.....bring to a boil..then lower the heat to a slow bubbling..cover with a lid...........stew it down slowly for about 2 hours. Then slightly uncover lid to thicken gravy as it stews.

Serve with rice. It will be slap yo momma good.
Love me a good squirrel stew. Maybe should try it with some dove