What model 69A is this? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
What model 69A is this?

Doesn't seem to fit in a particular model. Is it a JTSS that someone added a sling swivel and scope blocks on? It doesn't look like it has a rear sight dovetail to me. Interesting but not $650.00 worth of interesting to me.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=390591791
Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 AM
WJRC
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man 58 View Post
Doesn't seem to fit in a particular model. Is it a JTSS that someone added a sling swivel and scope blocks on? It doesn't look like it has a rear sight dovetail to me. Interesting but not $650.00 worth of interesting to me.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=390591791
I am no expert but it looks just like a 69 Match version that someone drilled and tapped for a scope. Usually they sell in the $400 range. I have heard the rule of thumb to subtract $50 for each extra hole on a rifle but never ADD $50 per hole! Value is half the asking price imho but I dont collect them so maybe wrong.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:21 AM
22AGS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Whatever happened to it, the owner is really proud of this rifle, that's for sure. Minty Match rifles don't usually sell for more than this guy's starting bid.
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 AM
ubc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't think it is a Match Rifle, because if not mistaken, they were L. Rifle only. This shoots all three. I would say someone installed the shark-blade front and added the rear sight to a standard 69........
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 AM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The stock cutout for the rear sight is more the size of an 80A sight than the Lyman. I'm wondering if it's a "Super Target" that someone has swapped the Lyman rear sight for the original 80A sight. There's no way to tell for sure without looking under the rear scope block to see where the barrel proof mark is located. Aside from the rear sight, it meets all the criteria of an ST, shark fin front sight, holes look to be in the right place if factory, factory sling swivels, short-long-long rifle roll marking on the barrel, and correct stock configuration.

Too many $$ for me to want to confirm, though.

What do the experts think?

Hector
Old 01-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorFuego View Post
The stock cutout for the rear sight is more the size of an 80A sight than the Lyman. I'm wondering if it's a "Super Target" that someone has swapped the Lyman rear sight for the original 80A sight. There's no way to tell for sure without looking under the rear scope block to see where the barrel proof mark is located. Aside from the rear sight, it meets all the criteria of an ST, shark fin front sight, holes look to be in the right place if factory, factory sling swivels, short-long-long rifle roll marking on the barrel, and correct stock configuration.

Too many $$ for me to want to confirm, though.

What do the experts think?

Hector
Hector.

At one point I too thought perhaps it was an ST which sparked my interest in this rifle. According to 22AGS's thread in the very informative Winchester information sticky at the top of this forum the ST would have had an 80A rear sight. I believe the receiver would have had to have been flat sided to accommodate the 80A, wouldn't it had to have been replaced with a Lyman 57EF? Also the rear sight inletting on this stock looks much shorter than that for an 80A, more like that for a Lyman 57E. I dug my 69A standard with an 80A out of the safe and the inletting on my rifle goes forward to about the mid point of the magazine release button hole. I could be wrong it's happened before.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:00 PM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I believe the receiver would have had to have been flat sided to accommodate the 80A
You are absolutely correct. I missed the fact that the receiver was not milled flat. Good eye!

Hector
Old 01-29-2014, 02:40 PM
WJRC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubc View Post
I don't think it is a Match Rifle, because if not mistaken, they were L. Rifle only. This shoots all three. I would say someone installed the shark-blade front and added the rear sight to a standard 69........
Aah, good point, i didnt look at the caliber close enough.

So what is a super target ST? I never herd of that one and cant find it in any catalogs
Old 01-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJRC View Post
Aah, good point, i didnt look at the caliber close enough.

So what is a super target ST? I never herd of that one and cant find it in any catalogs
Go here, it's in the very informative Winchester information thread in the stickys at the top of this forum, it was authored by .22AGS, excellent reading !!!

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=364897

Last edited by Old Man 58; 01-29-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:16 PM
WJRC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man 58 View Post
Go here, it's in the very informative Winchester information thread in the stickys at the top of this forum, it was authored by .22AGS, excellent reading !!!

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=364897
Cool, good reading - thanks! So the 22AGS guy named it a super target or is that a factory term?

It says JWA has a factory record of them so I PMed him to ask and it said his PM box is full? I will try email later.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Cool, good reading - thanks! So the 22AGS guy named it a super target or is that a factory term?

It says JWA has a factory record of them so I PMed him to ask and it said his PM box is full? I will try email later.
Not sure how the moniker came about. I found an ST recently but being unemployed I just couldn't swing it, it's now owned by one of the other members here, they are interesting at the least and I believe should be part of any 69A collection. One day I will find another and be able to sfford it
Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 PM
irl104
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The seller states that the Winchester proof is covered by the rear scope mount. So this isn't a factory correct job. Someone has added the scope mounts.

irl104
Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irl104 View Post
The seller states that the Winchester proof is covered by the rear scope mount. So this isn't a factory correct job. Someone has added the scope mounts.

irl104
Correct but what was it originally?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 PM
WJRC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Whoa! Someone knows what it is, or REALLY REALLY wanted it. Is it the same guy that was bidding on that 52 awhile back? https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...r.php?u=130616

Glads i dont collect 69s, they are getting stupid crazy in price.........
Old 01-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Whoa! Someone knows what it is, or REALLY REALLY wanted it. Is it the same guy that was bidding on that 52 awhile back? https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...r.php?u=130616

Glads i dont collect 69s, they are getting stupid crazy in price.........
Well someone liked it ALOT more than I did. IMO that's too much for any 69A except maybe a 697.