Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM
22AGS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I've seen Flysalot doing his corporate pilot identity quite often now. He didn't sign on for the speed thing anyway, I think he just likes pushing buttons. Once when we had just boarded and were sitting quietly in the designated parking space going through the pre-flight checklist, I witnessed him getting the jet ready--- pushing pulling and turning on maybe about a hundred various knobs buttons dials and switches. Things started humming revving and beeping all over. Sounded like we could have taken off then and there, straight up! Then, after resting a bit, finally he actually fired up the engines!!! Then is when I saw why he gets to fly the VIP's around (yeah you've heard of 'em), he knows his jet aircraft piloting ****.

Last edited by 22AGS; 02-26-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Progress Report: The stock is about done, the barrel/receiver is jet black and almost ready to oil back up, leaving the small bits and pieces to be renovated. This is going to be a nice looking single shot!
Before

After

Last edited by 22AGS; 02-24-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 PM
kenneth
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22AGS,
Thanks for the info! This is a great post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There are a jillion little actions that have to be taken that never get mentioned in one of these how-tos, but I'll show at least one of them right here.
But first, here is one of the side-effects of being focused on a redo--what a mess! Every thing on top of my <ahem> workbench, is part of the process, except for those two bulk packs of Federal AutoMatch in the foreground I got dirt cheap yesterday.

Most old rifles have at some time or other experienced the pain and suffering of having the screws backed out by an amateur with an ill-fitting screwdriver. The slot gets twisted and warped and bent over, and what to do? Answer--chuck the dead screw in your drill for a vise, then lightly peen down the metal burrs. 90% of those who attempt this wrongly just sand away the metal. By peening it back in place, you will wind up with a much better looking slot when finished.

Here's the takedown screw as received, not bad but could use some help. Notice the burred edges of the slot.

Chucked up and ready for a peen and a spin.

Keep the screw in one place on the sandpaper, don't let it wander around. You are trying to replicate the original concentric circles cut into the head when originally produced. You regulate the size of those circles by the grit of the paper. Low to medium speed seems to work best.

After the spin treatment, and ready for bluing. Check constantly after maybe each 15 seconds of light pressure turning. Don't go to sleep when doing this or there won't be anything left to set the screwdriver in! This example is one of those coin slots, so you can use your dimes and nickels in the field to take the gun apart--ain't never seen it done yet. For standard slot screws, in which the slot has been chewed up and somewhat returned to right with peening and drill turning, the last step before bluing is to employ a special narrow file to recut the slot and straighten out the sides.

Last edited by 22AGS; 02-25-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:42 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
22AGS,
Thanks for the info! This is a great post!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:53 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Before/After Model 67 Images

I am never under normal circumstances going to be able to slow this down for a whole month. Once again, here is an example of why a neglected Winchester 22 is worth the time and trouble to bring back from the edge of the precipice.

Last edited by 22AGS; 02-26-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:58 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Maybe, as JWA reminded all of us, one of these days I'll get down to my old pal Dale's and borrow one of his tumblers for a while to get this bolt shiny perfect...

Last edited by 22AGS; 02-25-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For once I will have to say that these photos do not do this gun justice. From where it started to where I wanted to get, I'd give this one a 7, maybe an 8, out of 10. Usually I hit about a 6. And I am totally happy with the result. I thought about calling it that name I started with, the Rusty Dawg, but this one's instead always gonna be my Birthday Gun!

You sharpies will notice that I left an unusual texture on the metal---I have always wanted a coarser look on the barrel steel than factory-given, and so on this job, I stopped at 100 grit when sanding out those rust pits. By rust bluing, a thick coat was built up, at least compared to hot dip bluing, so this is what you get. For a truly factory look, I would say about 180, but Winchester always used a wire brush wheel to get the total "look" on an original. Also, I have used the same bottle of Pilkingtons for the past ten years. Yes, it's getting mighty low, maybe one more gun left in it. The point is that, using that very same bottle of rust blue, my guns have, over the years, gone from the classic blue/gray usually associated with the method, to a rather black and thick coating. I couldn't be happier, since I like the look of the old hot dip bluing, which has that blackish cast. Here are the two top secret reasons for the gradual change: 1) Using Simple Green instead of acetone or lacquer thinner for the final degrease, clean steel being an essential part of rust bluing. 2) Departing from the excellent manual Phil Pilkington has written, I flood the first coat on the steel, and let it sit for several days. (Edit Note: 3/14/11. Talked this texture effect over today with Dean over at Brownells, and read their excellent writeup on their own Rust Bluing mixture. Apparently, by leaving the metal to rust for several days, the chemical actually 'over-etched' the steel to a degree. Fine by me, but be advised. I like this look).
The final factor in producing that depth of black is the coarser texture, which probably acts to open up the pores of the metal more for better absorption of the bluing liquid. The result is what you see here with this gun. I will tell you that, for the passionate gun redoer, it is a thrill when you place that reddish rusty coated barrel in boiling water and before your very eyes see it turn black as soot in less than two minutes. Probably the supreme moment of enjoyment in the whole shebang after so much hard work.

One coat of Eezox, on the barrel for an hour, followed up with a heavy coat, wiped back after 15 minutes, of BreakFree CLP--while having a spot of green tea, one Splenda and two sugar cubes --DON'T mix and match!

So, JWA, enough pictures for you ?

Last edited by 22AGS; 03-14-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Had to laugh when I remembered another 67 I cleaned up for a friend, cleaned up meaning oiled it, but no reno work done. For those who want a good looking rifle without all the work put into the subject of this thread, you can do so with minor labor hours. Cold Blue, strip and varnish, oil up and letter rip. And the result, at least on the surface, is surprisingly similar--from five feet away

Saturday afternoon Special -- reblue/stock refinish

My birthday gun, don't even want to say how many hours is in it.

Last edited by 22AGS; 02-24-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:36 PM
DWGeorge

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Excellent work, sir, and an inspiring thread, as my own 67 is now -- finally! --undergoing similar work (and yes, I invested considerable time and curse words re-assembling that deceptively simple-looking bolt assembly )

I hope mine turns out half as nice as yours did; I'll try to post photos when it's done. . .
Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes DW, by all means post at least one picture on here to let us see another example of the redoer's art. I am taking this one out tomorrow to the range to see what she can do, then will give another update.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Bloodhound
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was so inspired by your 67 project, I have been looking for another one to do myself...I have refinishe 2 others that got traded away...so I was on the hunt...I found 2...I will make a post later on the finds when I can get pics.

But the point is that your projects continue to inspire me and others to rescue these "Basket Case" Winchesters.

Thanks again for the details and the inspiration

Nice job
Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hey Bloodhound, nice to hear from you. You all settled out there I guess. It's been what? A couple of years now? Looking forward to seeing your guns!

Last edited by 22AGS; 02-24-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:25 PM
squirrelgrenade
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your work is outstanding!!!
I think a Winchester 67 Carbine would be a great new project for you after seeing this. Maybe a match to your 69 Carbine?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Bloodhound
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Won't be back to the house until Saturday...I'll get some pics and post the details when I get home...I am stoked about these 2 guns after going through this thread