Basic Maintenance of a TOZ 78: To clean barrel after shooting session - or not - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Dynasty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Basic Maintenance of a TOZ 78

I'm planning on getting a TOZ 78-1 soon, but before I do I would like to know what kind of maintenance this .22 requires.

Last edited by aom22; 10-03-2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Restore Title
Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Smallgroups
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nothing special. Clean it just like your other 22s.

I'm from the school of thought that as long at the rifle shoots well, the bore can go w/o cleaning after every trip to the range as long as you have a low humidity place to store the rifle. I hardly ever detail strip any of my firearms unless I hit some really filthy ammo or get the firearm wet or in some form of dirt or grit with one exception and that is a handgun I carry concealed. It gets cleaned everytime. I like clean hands and clothes that much.

Otherwise and certainly for a 22 like the TOZ I wipe off the barrel, the bolt and Q-tip the action and then apply a light coat of protective oil to all of the above. The bore gets no attention till accuracy degrades. Some here like and use cleaning rods. I like and use string pull-thrus and Bore-Snakes.

In decades of shooting I've never had any rust problems, have enjoyed consistent accuracy running into 100s of rounds between bore cleaning and saved heaven knows how many hours dragging patches.

You'll get other opinions.

Best S-
Old 10-03-2007, 12:37 AM
beammeupscotty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Won't get a contrary opinion from this quarter....

I don't clean my .22s very often either. In fact, other than intial cleaning of new rimfires, I cannot remember when I last cleaned one of my .22 LR rifles.

With the TOZ-78, just clean it up. lube it properly, maybe adjust the trigger, then shoot the hell out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 08:58 PM
ThePenguinKnight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
+1 to what Smallgroups said. I haven't done a full strip-down in about 5 months, and the last time was only after going through a big rainstorm. No degrade in accuracy whatsoever.

Good friend of mine has a CZ 452 that he, quite literally, did not run anything through the bore but copper-washed lead for close to two years before the accuracy degraded enough for him to run a boresnake through it. He guessed there were anywhere from 1500 to 2000 rounds through it. I wouldn't suggest going that long if you plan on shooting groups or sighting scopes, but if you're not doing anything 'sides samll game hunting or plinking, you probably won't need to clean very often at all.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:55 PM
JETBatt
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's the greatest thing about .22's- No major cleaning-fest after a day at the range. I only pull a Patchworm through mine when switching between ammo.