Can't Withdraw Remington 541-S Bolt - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Can't Withdraw Remington 541-S Bolt

I've picked up some information about this 541-S on some other threads. But I can't get the bolt out of the action to clean it.

This was my rifle 41 years ago. It is my brother's now. He lost the magazine and entire magazine latch mechanism sometime during the past several years. I found a replacement magazine and I installed a replacement mag. latch mechanism. Easy.

However, I think the bolt needs a thorough cleaning because it closes on the chamber with more difficulty than I remember.

I tried pushing the safety forward and pulling the bolt. The bolt has some type of "stop" activated that pushing the safety forward didn't relieve. It has been suggested that I apply cleaning solvent within the trigger housing. I haven't done that yet.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the trigger unit to see if any of you can detect that something isn't right with the trigger?

Advice appreciated. I have a gunsmith just 5 miles from my house. She can probably fix this, but I sense it is something simple I'm "missing"?

Thanks
Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 541 Trigger Unit Rht side.jpg (477.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Front View Trigger Houseing 541.jpg (448.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:15 AM
93Abolt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I remember correctly you have to push the safety forward and down and the bolt should slide right out.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:31 AM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just tried mine and pushed the safety forward and the bolt slipped right out. You have to be sure to push the safety all the way forward and your bolt has to swing up to the end of its swing to get it out. Your scope may be stopping it from swinging up far enough so you may need to remove it. On mine it was very close but just made it..

I had more trouble putting it back in. The front half of the bolt wants to rotate separately of the bolt body and it has to go back in with the bolt oriented properly to the chamber as you slide it in or it won't go in all the way. This may also be part of your problem getting it out...

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 12:58 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That hole just above the trigger should have something going through it for the safety to pivot on. I don't remember if it is a pin or a screw.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's what I was afraid of. I'll try to identify that and get it ordered.
Thanks
Roy
Old 07-08-2019, 03:36 PM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72coupe View Post
That hole just above the trigger should have something going through it for the safety to pivot on. I don't remember if it is a pin or a screw.
I think if you pull down on the L-shaped piece of flat metal at the very front of the trigger housing, you should be able to withdraw the bolt. As 72-coupe pointed out, since you're missing the pivot pin, your safety is not able to contact it or to put enough pressure on it.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for this!

I ordered the pin from Numrich about 1.5 hours ago along with the rubber cover on the magazine release and an action screw that attaches the barrel to the stock. The original screw head has a sloppy slot where the wrong size tool was used.

My wife thinks I'm rebuilding the rifle, one screw and pin at a time.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:44 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Heck, while you're at it you might as well add the second action screw.....
Old 07-08-2019, 07:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Success!

Thanks to the advice here I was able to very easily remove the bolt. I simply put a tiny screw driver shaft through the hole that was missing the pin. Then I could feel tension on the safety as I pushed it forward. The bolt came right out.

Now I can move to clean everything; barrel, chamber, action, and bolt face. I don't know if I want to tackle taking the bolt apart, at least not until I see how everything works.

My next task will be to get the stainless steel magazine I bought from one of the fellows here who makes them, working. I'll also try a nylon one that someone here also offered to send me to try and pay later.

I'd like to thoroughly clean the trigger group but I've never taken such a thing apart before to clean, I fear I'll end up with extra parts!

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Black_Talon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You need these two parts:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/707570A

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1823500A
Old 07-08-2019, 11:10 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You may not need to take the trigger apart to clean it. I've used lighter fluid many times to clean the trigger parts and it works great. Squirt some on the trigger from different angles and let it sit and dry- should dry in just a few minutes...You don't want grease or oil in your trigger parts anyway except for a tiny drop at the pivot points of the safety, trigger arm, and lever pin.

Bob
Old 07-09-2019, 07:07 AM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you decide to take the trigger off be sure to relieve the tension on the screw at the front before driving the pin out. If you don't you could break off the boss that holds the whole thing on.