67/67A owners - Track your data here - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:06 AM
Broken-arrow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Anybody ever seen a 67A like this or know anything about it? I've asked about it on a couple of different forums and learned nothing. I'm sure it's all original and has'nt been modified. The butt-plate fits perfect, the barrel crown is original, the sight dovetails are original. Like i said I showed it to two gunsmiths and they both looked it over real good and said it had'nt been cut down. Any help, Please ?
Old 12-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Jackz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Broken-arrow...
Just hold on a bit over the weekend. The 'troops' will probably see this tomorow! If not, then maybe start a separate thread for it. It is something that will definitely interest everyone!!
Regards, Jack
Old 12-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Danny Creasy
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 67 has a 27" barrel, silver bead front sight, u notch rear sight, nickeled bolt, nickeled smooth trigger, blued trigger guard, ungrooved stock (kind of beaver-tailed), and no serial number. It has the following barrel markings:

Top line: MADE IN U.S.A. WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS CO. ----- MODEL 67 22 SHORT--- WINCHESTER---

Bottom line: -------- NEW HAVEN CONN ------- --- LONG AND LONG RIFLE ---- TRADE MARK ---

The safety has: U.S.A. PAT over PENDING on it.

There is a proofmark on the barrel over the chamber. It looks like two or three overlapping letters in an oval.

Purchased it at local gunshop about two years ago. It had sat in the dealer's rack for at least a year before that.

I took it apart to clean it after I got it home and discovered a strip of red cloth tape about three inches long running lengthwise in the barrel channel. The tape must have gotten wet somewhere along the way and held moisture long enough to cause a slight amount of surface pitting under the barrel. I removed the old tape and cleaned up the rusted area and coated it with a rust inhibitor.

I can't believe someone did this to improve accuracy (if that was their motive). With the tape removed, the old rifle put five Wolf MTs in .35" at twenty five yards.

Last edited by Danny Creasy; 12-18-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 07:14 AM
rsv1mos
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Great report, a few more of these and maybe we can summarize the data and create a list. You are on top of that, arn't you Jack?

The proofmark you mention is the standard PW (Paul Winchester) proof used on both the barrel/receiver and the bolt of the model 67. Mine are lightly struck but identifiable.

Funny the things that you find under the stocks of vintage rifles. I used to collect military surplus rifles and you would be surprised what I found under barrels and buttplates.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Jackz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
rsv1mos
Bob..
Yes I am!! (I'm still chuckling over that question!) I think I might have something figured out for the rows and columns..Now to actually start on it is the next hurdle..
It wouln't be for at LEAST a week though!!

Regards, Jack
Old 12-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Danny Creasy
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsv1mos
Funny the things that you find under the stocks of vintage rifles. I used to collect military surplus rifles and you would be surprised what I found under barrels and buttplates.

Tru dat. My first CMP Garand has a small piece of tape or glued on paper attached to the top of the floor plate. It has the favored sight settings for one R. Riffel written down on it. Hilarious. This Garand was Riffel's rifle!

Danny
Old 12-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Danny Creasy
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On a more somber note. I purchased several firearms from the widow of a shooting friend a few years ago. Jim died an untimely death due to an accidental fall. The old .250 Savage Model 99 take down has some tape on the inside of the forend with Jim's writing on it. "Dead on at 50 yards with WW 100 gr. Silvertips" He signed his first initial and last name also.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:41 AM
rsv1mos
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
We could probably start a whole new thread on these (any takers?), but in the small hole under the buttplate of my Remington model 550 wrapped around a .22 short is a piece of paper with my name and address on it, placed there some 56 years ago. My reasons - I always was afraid I would run out of ammo in the woods, and it was my first rifle and if someone stole it, I could then ID it. Still have the rifle with the cartridge and note intact, waiting for my grandson to discover it sometime in the future.

And Jack, If I can be of help on that list just let me know.

Last edited by rsv1mos; 12-20-2005 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 AM
bowdog
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine is a 67 and from what I gathered built in 1936 because of the grooved trigger and pat pending on the safety. sights are u notch rear and bead front is plain no brass or silver. There is a nothing stamped under the barrel that I can see. Unless it is 2" up from the barrel stud and left of center looks like a C. and about 3"up from the stud I see a tiny what looks to be a proof mark even though the proof marks are on the chamber and bolt.

Also has grooved stock.

Last edited by bowdog; 12-20-2005 at 10:31 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Jackz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bowdog..
You made my day with finding that "C"!! Is it an "Odd" looking "C"? Is is stamped quite deep and strong?
Regards, Jack
Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Jackz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
rsv1mos..
Bob..
All over the web where firearms are discussed there is mention of finding hidden things. Sometimes on the older ones it has filled in a link to their past history. The 'crufflers' find some neat stuff in the "Old War Horses"!

After Christmas I will start on the data base and will definitely holler "HELP"!!
Thank You!

Regards, Jack
Old 12-20-2005, 02:52 PM
bowdog
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes when I first saw it I thought it to be a defect in materials. Why does that help with a theory or speculation you have???
Old 12-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Jackz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bowdog..
I have had mine since new in 1949 and from the first day I took it down have noticed it. Mine is an 'Odd' "C". I always thought that it might have been some kind of factory error.
Some folks have reported numbers and letters on their's but they are under the rear dovetail. Mine and yours are way foreward of the takedown lug. With you reporting similar to mine I don't feel "Alone" anymore. I now feel that 'mark' was intentionally put there!

Have you had your's since new??

Regards, Jack
Old 12-21-2005, 03:26 AM
bowdog
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hardly, mine was given to be by a man who said it wasn't worth having. Poor condition and needs the spring under the bolt.(I use a piece of barrett to make it shootable) The screw I use to hold it in the stock is a 10 24 large head I use it for squirrels and it shoots shorts great but it will not extract longer cases,except ccicb longs. Looks like somebody slathered the stock with varnish using a mop. the butt plate is black with horizontal lines about 1/4" wide and held on by two wood screws and beauty rings.

I believe when dave gave it to me he said here is that old hog killer you been wanting. I looked it up in the book and offered him thirty dollars he said just keep it. so I did. wouldn't stay cocked when I got it but with yankee ingenieuity and a good look at one in the gun shop (thanks Mike) I got her working and shooting again. She shoot about 1 1/2" 10 shot groups at 25yds with .22 shorts of any make, off hand. I get a kick outta the fellas blasting away all their ammo with their autos when they ask me why I shoot such an old pos. I tell em to pick out a target at the berm (52yds) they pick out a soda can and I hit it one shot. I look at em and say dead opossum. they just wander off shaking their heads. like shooting him more than one time will make him any more dead. I just smile and keep shooting one shot at a time.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Swift
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Win mdl 67 finger grooved stock, silver front sight, u rear, silver safety/smooth trigger , Pat Pending on safety wing, PW overstruck marks on barrel and safety right in front of each other. Odd J struck on the left horizontal loading port rail.

Bought used many yrs ago.