A Rare Model of 1922 Double-Conversion - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:54 PM
Artd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
A Rare Model of 1922 Double-Conversion

I acquired an interesting Springfield Model of 1922 variant at the recent Little John's Auction. More correctly, it is a Model of 1922 MII. Here are the specifics.

Serial number 1807B is a Springfield Armory Model of 1922, made in 1923, that has been through a double-conversion. It was initially converted to an M1 after November 1928, and then to an M2 after 1934. Although a Model 1922 double conversion is possible, none have been noted before in general publication. Also, Model 1922 conversions, although also offered to privately owned Model 1922’s, are used as an identifier of Army issue Model 1922’s. Therefore, it is highly likely that this double-conversion makes 1807B one of the few Issued Model of 1922's.

First Conversion to M1

The initial conversion to an M1 is supported by the following two points.

First, MII has been added to the front receiver ring, just in front of the “CAL..22” text. Close inspection of the “MII” marking shows that the second “I” is longer than the first and more deeply struck. It also appears to have been squeezed into a small space and consequently overlaps the letter “C”. Therefore, the “MI” was added during the M1 conversion and the second “I” was likely added later, when the rifle was converted to a M2 configuration.

Next, an 11-28 barrel has been installed. Although this, in-of-itself, does not prove conversion, it does place the rifle in the armory on or after November 1928, 3 years into production of the Model 1922 MI. It is generally acknowledged that issue rifles, which were returned to the armory, were upgraded to the current model configuration.

Second Conversion to M2

The conversion to M2 would have occurred after 1934, following the introduction of the M2 bolt with adjustable headspace. At that time, 1807B received a new M2 bolt, magazine and stock; was refinished in a dark parkerized finish; and was re-marked on the front receiver ring. The dark slate-gray parkerized finish probably places the conversion earlier then later because as time went on, the parkerizing became lighter grey with a greenish tone.

The new marks included a second “I” as discussed earlier and the suffix “B” added to the serial number. The “B” suffix is an abnormally on this converted Model 1922. In late 1935, M2 converted Model 1922’s were to be marked with an “M2” and “A” suffix, while converted M1922M1 rifles were marked with a second “I” and “B” suffix. I speculate that when 1807 arrived at the armory for conversion, it was mistaken as a “Model of 1922 MI” and consequently remarked as a Model of 1922 MII with the “B” suffix.

Another take-away from this story is that researching and knowing your subject matter is imperative. I've seen a lot of misrepresented rifles going for ridiculous money. On the other hand, I have been fortunately to find a few, namely a M1922M1/M2 Transition rifle and M2 NRA Sales, that were improperly described and ended up in my collection at a bargain.

A lot of treasures still exist for the person willing to dig.

Art

Last edited by Artd; 12-25-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:34 PM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Nice find on a nice rifle, and a nice bit of research!

I always enjoy researching new or potential acquisitions.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:14 AM
Artd

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Nice find on a nice rifle, and a nice bit of research!

I always enjoy researching new or potential acquisitions.
Thank you. The research and the unraveling of history of a specific rifle is what I really enjoy. Every now and then you find one like this that has a lot to say about itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2018, 04:13 PM
MK111
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Nice rifle and a great find.

But in my mind if the the 1922 was converted to a M1 wouldn't it have been stamped with a 'A'? So I don't follow the 1922, then M1 then final M2 conversions.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:48 PM
Artd

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK111 View Post
Nice rifle and a great find.

But in my mind if the the 1922 was converted to a M1 wouldn't it have been stamped with a 'A'? So I don't follow the 1922, then M1 then final M2 conversions.
Per W.P Eyberg's article in the Jan / Feb 1985 Man at Arms publication, the policy outlining the use of the A and B suffixes was not adopted until Oct - Dec 1935 and applied only to Model of 1922 and M1922M1 rifles that were converted to M2 configuration. Before then, Model of 1922 rifles that were converted to M1 configuration were just stamped with "MI".

I am speculating that after Nov 1928, SN 1807 returned to the armory and was converted to M1 configuration, re-barreled and stamped with "MI". Later, when it again returned to the armory, after 1935, it was converted to M2 configuration, but whoever did the work mistakenly treated it as a Model of 1922 MI and marked it with a second "I" and "B" suffix. The correct thing would have been to over-stamp the "I" with a "2" and then apply the "A" suffix.

It was likely just a labeling mistake, much like a early first type M2 rifle I have that was upgrade to the new bolt and had an "A" suffix added to the serial number. Obviously, there was some initial confusion about the new labeling policy, because I have seen two other early M2's that also have an "A" suffix.

Art

Last edited by Artd; 12-25-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:56 AM
LJM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Drawing number on stock of B serieal number M22

I have recently come across a MI remarked as a MII and given a "B" suffix on the serial number. I noted that it had a "D" drawing number stamped in the wood between the pistol grip and the rear sling swivel I also noted a "P" proof mark and professionally stamped "MI" on the bottom of the pistol grip. Per the book, "C" stocks had drawing numbers.

QUESTION: Did M22 .22cal rifles have "C" stocks or stocks with drawing nos?

thanks, LJM
Old 01-23-2019, 12:03 PM
Artd

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
There are two versions of the M2 Issue stock. They both had the "C" type pistol grip, but were not referred to as "C" stocks.

The first version M2 Issue stock is a modified M1922M1 "B" stock. The pronounced oval pistol grip of the M1 Issue stock was reshaped to resemble the new M2 Issue stock. They are easily identifiable by the M1's bigger heel/comb drop. Some of these stocks also had the cleaning kit hole in the butt and the course checkered NM buttplate with a trapdoor.

The second version was the actual new production M2 Stock. This stock can be found with and without "D28225" and "M2" stamped on it. It will have a course checked buttplate with no trapdoor.

When a M1911MI was converted to a M1922MII, it would have been restocked in an M2 stock. The "P" stamp is a rebuild mark. The stock may also have a SA cartouche on the left side. The "MI" stamp you mention is not normal. Are you sure the "I" is not a "2"? Can you post a picture of the mark?

Art
Old 01-23-2019, 12:46 PM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Interesting

Interesting stuff. Now a more basic question. Does anyone know where I can get a NEW firing pin spring for an M2? I've been plagued with light strikes and a used spring from Numerich didn't help much.

Thanks, Tom
Old 01-23-2019, 01:56 PM
Artd

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeley View Post
Interesting stuff. Now a more basic question. Does anyone know where I can get a NEW firing pin spring for an M2? I've been plagued with light strikes and a used spring from Numerich didn't help much.

Thanks, Tom
Tom,

Per Brophy's book, The Springfield 1903 Rifles, the M2 mainspring is the same as the 1903 mainspring. However, the M2 mainspring is different from the M1922 or the M1922M1. The M2 firing pin fall was half that of the earlier 1922 variances, so a stronger spring was required. Also, ensure your firing pin nut is tight. Just hand-tight, no tools need. A loose firing pin nut will cause FTF.

Also, PM sent.

Art

Last edited by Artd; 01-23-2019 at 02:03 PM.