Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:28 AM
pistolboo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fix the Skinny Grip

First time at the range with the new Standard and boy, even with a Hogue universal slip on the grip was way too insubstantial. A friend who tried the gun felt the same way about the kiddy sized grip, his words not mine. So, what can be done, the Ruger wooden grips look a lot more substantial but I have to shoot left handed, right is too shaky from years of beers.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:29 AM
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolboo View Post
First time at the range with the new Standard and boy, even with a Hogue universal slip on the grip was way too insubstantial. A friend who tried the gun felt the same way about the kiddy sized grip, his words not mine. So, what can be done, the Ruger wooden grips look a lot more substantial but I have to shoot left handed, right is too shaky from years of beers.
PB,

The VQ Volthane right-handed grip I have on my MkII Standard is excellent for a solid one hand hold (thumb rest, finger grooves, heel rest). However, VQ does not yet make the Volthane grip for the MkIV's (R or L handed).

Possibly, these Hogue L. Hand Thumb\finger Grips, with a little trim modifications, could work well for you (at a great price)!?!

Ted
Old 10-27-2018, 05:13 PM
pistolboo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
PB,

The VQ Volthane right-handed grip I have on my MkII Standard is excellent for a solid one hand hold (thumb rest, finger grooves, heel rest). However, VQ does not yet make the Volthane grip for the MkIV's (R or L handed).

Possibly, these Hogue L. Hand Thumb\finger Grips, with a little trim modifications, could work well for you (at a great price)!?!

Ted
Didn't know that Hogue made those L handed grips Ted, thanks heaps for that. To adjust their bulk it may be possible to pack them out if needed using a copy cut from a sheet of something suitable. Would need longer grip screws though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2018, 06:38 PM
C6Vern

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I modified a left hand VQ Volthane Mark II grip using an exacto knife and a dremel to work with a Ruger Mark IV lower. It took about 3 hours. I then added a Tandemkross Titan extended mag release and a VQ Extended Mk IV bolt release.
Without the extended mag release, it is a bit awkward getting to the button.

I emailed Volquartsen and they said that Mark IV laminated LH wood grips are planned but did not give me an outlook. That's still a $150+ investment where I managed to get my Mark II Volthane grip for about $30.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:12 PM
dons
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Fatter grips

You might try a .060 spacer under the grips. I've made them from aluminum, steel, and plastic. To try without cost, use some thin cardboard. Just take off your grips, trace the outline onto the cardboard, cut out the pattern and make holes where needed. Put them under your current grips. Adds 1/8 inch to the width of your grip. If you like the feel, recreate the spacer with a longer lasting material. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2018, 07:35 AM
RCrosby257

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Skinny Grips

Check out my pics of Majestics checkered Ambi grips , "Steel Challenge" Mk. IV thread.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:53 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
altamont flat panel basket weave

I added these to my 6" standard MKIV, a little thicker than the plastic ones, feels great to me.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:35 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There are thicker grips out there. Some are very pricey. Funny thing not everybody is the same. I usually have to sand my grips skinnier on my revolvers because I have small hands. So the Mark IV Hunter grips fit me really well.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:53 PM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I found these Herrett stocks at theshootersbox.com I really like the feel of them compared to all the other grips I've bought.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:22 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have Hogue wood, par-ferro grips on my MKII and love them. They have palm swells and are somewhat thicker than the stock grips. After checking their website it doesn't look like they make those grips for the MKIV yet, but hopefully they will in the future.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:58 PM
pistolboo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks to all who have made suggestions, they all help. Have ordered the L hand Hogue grips that Ted Theo98 mentioned, as I'm fairly new to this hand gun business they will get me started as to the size and shape that feels best. May even pack them out a bit using a one piece piece of something suitable wrapped around the back strap, we'll see.

Now for an accurising kit and a red dot, the short sight span using iron sights compared with a rifle makes aiming problematical.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:55 PM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the Vortex Venom like I have on my Mark IV but on my Mark III I have a C-More Railway with a 12 minute dot for Steel Challenge Matches.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:23 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
On the red-dot, if you are just shooting targets or plinking, any 3MOA will do. If you're shooting speed steel, go no lower than 6MOA. Larger window will be better for that as well.

For a plinking gun where fast acquisition isn't a must, a $185 Ebay Burris Fastfire III would work for me all day. For a steel challenge gun, the book opens up very wide.