Model 69A-Factory Drilled and Tapped Barrel? - Page 10 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 AM
JohnOhio
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS57 View Post
The OP's gun in question is shown to be a Winchester factory drilled rifle. The proof marks are not offset but are in different position than normal. Also the holes dimensions are for a Model 75 type scope block, not a 697 type block. Unique to this rare variation. Truely a Winchester "only a few made like" this situation.
Different position or not- The proofmark is still going to be covered when a scope base is put on! In my experience- Winchester would offset the proofmarks and not allow them to be covered! When you think about it-Why would you proofmark the barrel and immediately cover it up! Wouldn't it make more sence to offset them-like they did with other models!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 AM
asa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
d&t 69A's

Perhaps someone has mentioned this already, but it would seem that another convincing piece of the authenticity puzzle would be if the barrel in question had the correct year stamp underneath. I've never had one with a replacement barrel so I don't know if these were stamped or not, but if there's a nice "42" on the underside of that barrel..... Time that someone (or a group of "someones") published a definitive work on these bolt action repeaters; save us all a lot of consternation (but maybe that's the fun part). -Asa
Old 08-28-2012, 03:15 PM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Asa, I have not seen or heard of any of these (now up to 6) with the barrel stamp underneath. But meanwhile, here is something else my friend wrote to me about for all of you to chew on.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"After our 4/6 groove barrel discussion I dug out some of my Match rifles (marked .22 Long Rifle) and most of them did not have six groove barrels, just 4 groove. I thought that was interesting since I always assumed that ALL Match rifles had 6 groove barrels but that is definitely not the case. It seems the ones I have circa 1949-1950 all have 4 groove barrels.
Just another tidbit for the stew.
"
Old 08-28-2012, 04:14 PM
RayfromNZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE][Part #269 is a standard barrel, part #269A barrel with sight dovetail, part #269C Target/Match barrel so I thought Hmmmmm, wonder what the missing part #269B is that is not listed after WWII so I started checking all the prewar catalogs and found it in the 1942 catalog (and nowhere else).

Part #269B was........drumroll........A model 69A Target or Match barrel, without rear sight dovetail DRILLED AND TAPPED FOR WINCHESTER SIGHT BASES!

/QUOTE]

AGS I think you or at least your informant have nailed it with this part number #269B
We know pre-War (thats 1939-45 for us non--Yanks) that Winchester were releasing some .22 rifles with scopes that after an intial flurry didn't sell well
They have the correct offset proof
These don't but they are different from the norm

Very few have turned up mounted on rifles but that is as you would expect as barrel replacement for .22 rifles was not the norm as it was for the early pumps etc in the time of corrosive primers
All we need is a dated barrel and that will be that
Or an ad from a surplus company selling them off!

Last edited by RayfromNZ; 08-28-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:48 AM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's a new link (December 2014) about these rifles.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=569269&page=2