78-01s? Better value than TOZ 78-04L? Source for TOZ 78-01 at $100 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 AM
docwich
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
78-01s?

Looks like I might be late to the party, can't find any 78-01s left online for sale. I know about the 78-04s, and like the looks, but having a hard time thinking the stock difference is worth a $40-$70 premium. (It's not far from Wildcat prices I've seen). Anybody got any info (or tired of yours?!)

Last edited by aom22; 11-07-2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Restore Title
Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I think the diff. in price may also be that 04 rifles have a threaded muzzle for moderator installation, well worth the price if you are thinking about going that way.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:13 AM
beammeupscotty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The premium is closer to $70.00 and I am not sure if it is worth it either...

I DID get a 78 at $99.99 and I wish I had gotten another.

The TOZ-99s are quite cheap right now @ only about $115.00. The triggers are not as nice as the 78s and I think they are slightly less accurate, but they are way fun. I just ordered a second one because the kids I loan guns to at our local club really like them, at least that's how I justify buying a second one.

I believe TGI is the importer of these. You can email them from this page and see if they can suggest where you can go to find one.

http://www.tennesseeguns.com/products.html

I cannot find a phone number for them.

Last edited by beammeupscotty; 11-07-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 10:24 AM
ThePenguinKnight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I saw the 78-04 with the threaded muzzle and nifty stock, and I liked it, but the only way to take advantage of the threading is to use a suppressor. Suppressors cost a lot of money, plus a license, which coincidentally costs a lot of money :P. For me, it wasn't worth it. Of course, if the 78-04 is the only 78 available, I might go for it just because the 78 is such a fine rifle.

When I bought my 99 from David's collectibles, he had a few 78s left. Apparently he's now out of stock again.

Gunbroker had a few last I checked, though you might pay a bit more for one. The major point (one of em, anyway) of appeal to me about the 78 is its reasonable price tag, so I'd have a hard time paying much over a buck-fifty for one. $200 is a stretch, but the gun is worth it.

Good luck, hope you find one soon.

edit- I did a quick search on gunbroker and found this: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84075546
Appears to be an earlier blonde stock 78, fairly reasonably priced.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84262462
Here is another one, newer red model, with a scope.

Last edited by ThePenguinKnight; 11-07-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:16 PM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
The supply of existing 78s is dwindling, as Winchester Wildcat models (rebadged TOZ) begins to take up slack. I imagine much the same is happening right now with Charles Daly / Kassnar / Zastava made rimfires and Remington Model 5.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Toz-78 Basic Models

The Tulsky Oruzheiny Zavod website still list the basic model 78's.

Small-Bore Hunting Carbines TOZ-78
Quote:
The standard set of TOZ-78 includes an optical sight.
ТОZ-78 (Л)
ТОZ-78-01 (Л)
Л (translates to L)
Quote:
Letter "L" in shotgun designation indicates the stock with a cheek piece.
Accordingly, the basic TOZ-78 models should still be in-production.
It maybe the importer of the TOZ-78's is attempting to maintain
inventory control by minimizing the number of model variants they keep in-stock.

It is striking to me how price sensitive Russian firearms are.
In the case of the TOZ-78, a price over $100 dollars is too much.

The TOZ-99 at $115 dollars is a great deal - people are buying.
At what price point will sales slow?
Probably not much over $140 - still a good deal.

This makes me wonder if the Winchester Wildcat .22 will find a niche in the marketplace - considering its price.

Last edited by aom22; 11-09-2007 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Modify Text
Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Looter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As J.R. Guerra has already aluded to, the 78-01s may be dried up for good. Winchester has no doubt singned an exculsive contract with TOZ to sell the rebadged 78 wildcat. IIRC Remmington has made a similar deal to sell Baikal shotguns in the US.

Oh yeah: I think the 78-04L has the neat extra features that justify a little bit of a premium over the plain old 78-01. I would prefer it over a basic-model wildcat.

Last edited by Looter; 11-07-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:28 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Shot Show-2006" (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looter View Post
.... Winchester has no doubt singned an exculsive contract with TOZ to sell the rebadged 78 wildcat....
Winchester may have exclusive right to the TOZ 78-12.
But, it does not appear to be at the exclusion of all other TOZ 78 models from the U.S. market.
And, there is no indication the Winchester is going to, exclusively, distribute the full line of TOZ 78 models.

Such an arrangement would engender some form of formal announcement.
I haven't seen any indication of the sort from TOZ-News or Winchester-Product Information & News Articles.

However, it is possible such an arrangement may be in the works - in due course.

Quote:
2006 JSC "Tulsky Oruzheiny Zavod"

Quote:
In the course of "SHOT SHOW-2006" (USA) the representatives of TOZ conducted fruitful talks with the dealers in the USA and Canada, Latin America, Australia and Oceania. The participation in the show has become a tradition allowing Tula enterprise to successfully penetrate new markets. The presentation of the small calibre carbine TOZ-78-12 that is expected to appear in the market of the USA under the brand of "Winchester Wildcat" was especially favorable.
Quote:
The XXXIII International Fair IWA (10 - 13 March) has finally determined the priorities in the geographical distribution of export deliveries in 2006. JSC "TOZ" exhibited its products there as a part of the unified exposition of the Russian Gun-Makers Union. New modern design booths, posters emphasized the unified corporate style of the enterprise.

Out of the whole number of the articles the following set of small calibre carbines roused with the visitors the highest interest:
TOZ-78-04L - export variant with an improved stock;
TOZ-78-05 - "Varmint";
TOZ-78-17- a model specially adapted for the North American market;
TOZ-99 - a self-loading small-calibre carbine.
TOZ-78-17 is typographical error ... should read -12

Last edited by aom22; 02-08-2010 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Additional Text and Weblinks
Old 11-07-2007, 05:13 PM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Announcement of Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post
Such an arrangement would engender some form of formal announcement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas View Post
Charles Daly / Kassnar / Zastava made rimfires and Remington Model 5.
Charles Daly: February 2006 eNewletter
Quote:
.... Zastava has decided to join with Remington Arms ....
Mauser (Remington Model 798)
Mini-Mauser (Remington Model 799)
Zastava rimfire rifles (Remington Model Five) ....
We don’t think Remington will be selling actions or barreled actions but that remains to be seen.
We do know that Remington will not be selling the ZDA pistol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looter View Post
.... IIRC Remmington has made a similar deal to sell Baikal shotguns in the US....
European American Armory: What's New
Quote:
.... All of the guns we had been importing from Baikal of Russia (IZH models), will now be sold under the Spartan by Remington” name brand....
The change to Spartan by Remington was a positive change for the Baikal line and fully supported by EAA Corp....
Old 11-07-2007, 05:46 PM
docwich
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks...

..for all the input, guys. I really do like the looks of the -04, and the adjustable trigger. I'm tossed between this rifle and the Charles Daly/Zastava, and leaning towards the Zastava. Remington's going to jack the price up on that one (laminate stock, I know) making that the "apparent" better value now. But the 78 is a sweet little rifle, and I've got 2 boys (10 and 9) that it would fit perfectly. My understanding is that the Zastava is more of a full sized rifle (have to dig up the specs). Proponents of each seem just as avid, reports of accuracy seem to compare well. Then I say "it's only 35 bucks" and bounce right back! I'll eventually get a CZ Lux, but want to get another nice shooter cheap while I still can.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 PM
jammer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got a 4 yr old neice that I'm going to get into shooting very, very soon. I was thinking this might be a great choice to get her started, but did I just miss the boat? Are they still available at a good price? Also, if I have to have the FFL's ship, are we looking at 20 bucks on each end for that?

Thanks for the help. Because of you guys I have 2 wonderful Biathlon Basics.