Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:13 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One Mk IV mag won't feed

I had my Mark IV Target out yesterday to see if the new Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight would finally get me the proper sight relationship to make use of the rear sight elevation; short version is Yes, it did. I call it my Goldilocks sight. Factory post too tall, first replacement front sight too short, Dawson 0.400 tall sight is just right.

But, of the three magazines I had with me, I had several problems with one of them. It would not feed the next round into the chamber. This was not a partial feed, jam, stovepipe issue, the next round in line never popped up from the magazine to get grabbed by the bolt. It would when I manually cycled the bolt, but then would do it again. This happened several times, with one mag, shooting the CCI SV ammo. For whatever reason, I didn't have any problems with the Fed AutoMatch, or with either ammo in the other two mags. This particular mag was the one that came free when they returned the gun after the safety recall.

I took it apart this morning, cleaned out a little bit of firing residue, but nothing seemed out of place, and side-by-side comparison with the other two mags revealed no apparent differences between any of the three.

Anyone else had this issue?

In the interim, I have marked this mag as the problem child, and will feed it more Fed AM until it comes around or I figure out why it is misbehaving.

Last edited by cabin22; 11-01-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:16 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
I had my Mark IV Target out yesterday to see if the new Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight would finally get me the proper sight relationship to make use of the rear sight elevation; short version is Yes, it did. I call it my Goldilocks sight. Factory post too tall, first replacement front sight too short, Dawson 0.400 tall sight is just right.

But, of the three magazines I had with me, I had several problems with one of them. It would not feed the next round into the chamber. This was not a partial feed, jam, stovepipe issue, the next round in line never popped up form the magazine to get grabbed by the bolt. It would when I manually cycled the bolt, but then would do it again. This happened several times, with one mag, shooting the CCI SV ammo. For whatever reason, I didn't have any problems with the Fed AutoMatch, or with either ammo in the other two mags. This particular mag was the one that came free when they returned the gun after the safety recall.

I took it apart this morning, cleaned out a little bit of firing residue, but nothing seemed out of place, and side-by-side comparison with the other two mags revealed no apparent differences between any of the three.

Anyone else had this issue?

In the interim, I have marked this mag as the problem child, and will feed it more Fed AM until it comes around or I figure out why it is misbehaving.

First, Kudo's for segregating the mag and isolating the issue to that particular one.
From there, it's hard to tell from the description but it sounds like the follower may sticking for some reason.
Try tuning your mags per instructions here or on You Tube. IT makes a BIG difference in all mags and has been known to cure problematic ones. Alternatively, you could just call Ruger and ask for a replacement.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:39 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The lube on CCI SV ammo is a bit stickier than the lube on the Fed AutoMatch. So it would seem that the front/inside surface of the problem mag is not as smooth as the mags that are feeding well.

Try running some 800-1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper up the front of that mag. Inside, where the bullet noses drag as they feed up. Then maybe some Mothers Billet Polish on a patch. That should get it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 01:52 PM
RCrosby257
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bad Mag

Monkey with it if you have the time and inclination.
Otherwise, call Ruger!
They may or may not ask for the faulty mag to be returned but I'd put good money on their making it right for you.