Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Got My 40X Back From Jonathan Elrod

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  flatlander 
#1 · (Edited)
Man, he does nice work. I had him convert my CMP 40X to a repeater and accept Vudoo magazines. He also had to inlet the stock to accept the Vudoo bottom metal. I also had him shorten the barrel to 25" and thread for a suppressor. All nice work!

The build is a CMP 722 40X barreled action, Timney Trigger, Modacam repeater conversion, Vudoo bottom metal and magazines, Manners T4 stock, Leupold 6.5-20 EFR Scope in Seeking rings on an EGW Rail. Atlas Bipod. Dead Air Mask Suppressor. I've still got some tweaking to do on the accuracy but the repeater conversion worked flawless.
Chris

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Jonathan converted a 40XB for me, and then I barreled it with a Krieger, which I finished at 22", and it's pretty much a hammer. Jonathan spent about 40 minutes on his dime on the phone after he'd shipped the action back to me, explaining what I was going to need to do to finish tuning the extractor & pusher for smooth feeding & reliable extraction/ejection. Since I sent him just the action, there wasn't any way he could do that final tuning without having a barrel on the action, so he made it very clear what I could expect to run into. It was clear to me that his main concern was doing all that he could to ensure a customer was going to be able to enjoy the results of his conversion work.

It worked out pretty well, especially since I'd ordered spare ejector & pusher in case I went too far in filing & polishing the original parts...lol There's a fine line between going far enough to get smooth feeding and yet still get reliable extraction & ejection, as I soon found out. Understand, none of this had anything to do with Jonathan's work, it was all on me. He's done so many of these conversions that tuning for good function is simple stuff to him, while I was pretty much a neophyte. Later on, after I'd bought a V-22 action and fitted another Krieger to it, the early VGW extractor & pusher ran fine for about 500rds, then I started having issues with reliable ejection. When I called VGW and spoke with Paul about it, he offered to replace the parts with modified ones at no cost if I'd send the bolt back to them. But after I told him about working over these parts in my converted 40XB, and thought I could handle it, he texted me a short video showing how to modify the original parts, and also sent me a baggie with spares (extractor, pusher, plungers, & plunger springs) in case I needed them. His video was all the help I needed, and the original parts that I modified are still running strong with near 100% reliability, almost 5yrs later.

Attachments

#6 ·
It was clear to me that his main concern was doing all that he could to ensure a customer was going to be able to enjoy the results of his conversion work.
Absolutely! Being in NC, I dropped off and picked up my rifle. When it was time to pick it up, Jonathan asked me to bring all the magazines I owned so he could check feeding as I had older and newer magazines. He also showed me how he tweaked the pusher and extractor. I highly recommend anyone wanting this conversion to contact Jonathan Elrod at Modacam.
Chris

#7 ·
NCchris - Jonathan did conversions on CMP 40Xs for three of us here in Kansas, and all four of them (he did a 40X & 40XB for me) turned out great. I've spoken with him on the phone several times since he finished the work for us, and it's my opinion that his work ethic & customer service are top-notch. One of the guys from out here who had him do his 40X conversion also had him barrel that action for him, and is very pleased with the function & accuracy of the completed rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.