Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Hornady OneShot

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Chaser 
#1 ·
Is one shot good as a bore cleaner? If so does it compare to Hoppe's?

#2 ·
It’s ok. I use it on new barrels or to get a jag and a patch thru a tight barrel , like 17hmr. But hopped and gunscrubber are my general solvents, for an old crusty barrel I use borescrubber, out side, the fumes are noxious! But the Hornady does fine for a light cleaning,. Just , imho too precious for general cleaning imho:t

#3 ·
Agree.. for the most part. It's a great quik sludge cleaner and FANTASTIC lube but for the Chamber and Bore my go to is Hoppes #9... I just bought a new can of Hornady One Shot DL and it's gone up to $13.99.. old price locally was $10.99.. so it's even more spendy now.. thus good ol' inexpensive Hoppes will still be my go-to.

#5 ·
Does anyone know just what lube is in One Shot? Is it Teflon or something else.

I can't find it locally, and don't want to order just that so I have been looking at other dry lubes. I have found 3 locally that have Teflon as the lube, and one is a wax based carrier. All of them claim to be cleaners and rust/corrosion inhibitors as well.

One is by WD 40, one from Blaster and the other is from Dupont. The Dupont is the wax base, and is a motorcycle chain lube with great reviews for that use.

The price of these run from 1/3 to 1/2 that of One Shot. Some of the reviews even stated using them to "clean and lube" 22 semi auto rifles.

I think I will have to give one of them a try, just because.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.