Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1702 trigger

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  huntschool 
#1 ·
How light can one get a single stage 1702 trigger to go ? The gun I am looking at has the "wing" safety on the left side of the bolt. Is this the same trigger that is in the older 1710's.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Light as you could want, or at least well under an ounce. I have a transitional 1702 with the trigger side safety but still has the cut out for the wing and I also have a 1710 dkl, one of the last ones with the wing safety. Both have the same trigger the safety being the only difference and both adjust down to where a gentle breeze could could set them off.

#3 ·
The OP is asking about the single stage trigger. Perhaps the suggestion that it goes down to under an ounce is with reference to a double set trigger. In any case the 1702 D comes with a 5096 D trigger, which has an adjustment range of 1000 to 2000 grams. It is set at the factory at about 1200 - 1300 grams (42 - 46 ounces).

Anschutz provides this description.

#4 ·
I just looked at my rifles and I believe you are correct. My 1702 came set at a little over 2 pounds and I adjusted to where it felt comfortable to me, although i never scaled it it seems to be just under 2 pounds. I bought my 1710 second hand and I believe it had the spring changed out because it was "very light". I adjusted it to the maximum tension and it was still under a pound. Sorry for the confusion but its been a little while since I've taken either of them out and I remembered that they had the same trigger mechanically speaking and that the 1710 was very light so I assumed that was the factory adjustment range. You can however achieve a very nice light crisp pull with a simple spring swap.

#5 · (Edited)
So, by changing to the "lighter" spring (ball point pen type or light replacement spring) one should be able to reduce pull weight to 1 lb or so..... is that correct ? The gun I am looking at shows an AE mark, so I suspect 2004 proof

I replaced the spring in my 1710 DKL sporter from the Savage/Anschutz era with one of the light replacement springs and it now has a really nice very light trigger pull.

#6 · (Edited)
It's the same one stage trigger as found on any other 1700 series wing safety gun.
1# is doable. Less than that, not really.
These triggers can also be improved by an adjustment of the sear engagement.It's easy to do, and the procedure has been discussed many times on this forum.

btw, a 1710DKL is not from the Savage/Anschutz era.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.