Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Joined the Sako club

912 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Mike Clapp 
#1 ·
I had always heard good things about 94S varmint and today bought a used one at my LGS for $800 (California pricing). Plain wood but the bore, stock and metal look clean. The sling studs are missing and there's a plastic ring on the barrel next to the action that's broken. What is the ring for and any thoughts on a replacement? I also sort of remember that you could get replacement barrels. I see Lija has 17 version but anybody know of any others?

Looking forward to shooting it after the 10 day wait.

#4 · (Edited)
Re: the plastic ring - you didn't mention what caliber it is, but I have the 4 barrrel set and the plastic ring designates the caliber, ie. different color for each caliber, but the .22 lr barrel has no ring. I think extra barrels are still available from Berreta, who no owns Sako. Last time I looked I think they were $300. Don't know costs on the after market barrels mentioned by others. Once in a blue moon they turn up in Trading Post and maybe on Gunbroker, possibly on Ebay.
Oops, got this mixed up with the P04R, the Quad. Don't know if my comments are applicable or not.

#5 ·
Zwischenring

On the P94S the plastic ring covers any gap between between the barrel shoulder and receiver.

It is cosmetic in function. If cracked perhaps you can still use it; turn so the crack is on the underside and not noticeable. A dab of silicone could secure it.

I have used an o-ring in it's place...Tom

#7 ·
Thanks

Thanks all for the tips. It's a .22 LR and the plastic ring looked pretty flimsy so I figured it had a good chance of being cosmetic. Might be something where I make a new metal replacement or just leave it as is and turned over. Been looking at stocks in the meantime and I'm thinking about making a new one as well. I've always like the metal work on Sakos but they must get their wood from the plainest trees in Europe. Looking for more projects these days so we'll see. I'll shoot it first of course in the meantime.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.