Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:12 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ball Lightning...Have you ever seen it?

I have. I would say the year was appx 1960. I would have been 10 years old. A first cousin and I were riding our bicycles during the late spring or summer months. A thunder storm developed and we headed to his garage to get out of the rain/lightning storm.

There was a loud crack near us, similar to the snap you might have heard when lightning occurs near you. There is a loud snap before the loud boom of the split air. We thought a pine tree had been struck in his front yard. Moments later a glowing ball of fire gently floated down from the tops of the trees in the front to the center of his driveway. As I recall the ball was about 30" in diameter, was floating slowly like a beach ball, never touched the driveway but bounced back upwards to a height of appx 6'. The ball continued to come our way, it had a color but I can't remember if it was blue or red, white, orange or mixed. I do remember that is was sparkling like a common fireworks sparkler. We stood motionless watching it. It entered the garage and exploded. We hit the kitchen door at full speed.

We told our parents about it and there was speculation that lightning had perhaps hit a transformer but nothing ever developed there. At a funeral forty years later, four of us were riding in a car and I asked this cousin if he remembered anything odd happening at his house back in about 1960. No clue was given. He immediately answered that he remembered that ball of lightening blowing up in his garage. Scientists might still be skeptical.....but I've seen one and I know what I saw and heard. I haven't seen any UFO's though. 1917
Old 12-03-2019, 11:47 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now that is very interesting. I'd rather just go on your description than experience it first hand.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:40 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never saw one myself, but have read about it. Very interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

A guy I worked with years ago related a story similar to your experience. He said the ball came thru a window and traveled across the room he was in and disappeared.

I did have what I believe was a UFO experience about 45 years ago near Fifield, Wisconsin. Wierd!

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 01:23 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/20...0308D/abstract
Old 12-03-2019, 02:09 PM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ball Lightning

I have seen ball lightning caught between a high power line and the ground line. It was "rolling" down the wires as the wires sagged, got to the other end and started rolling back. Eventually, it just faded out. Color was a bright white.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:18 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I sure did. It would have been around the late 1970's. Mom was hoeing weeds in the garden, and me and sister Pam were riding bicycles up and down the street nearby when a big glowing sparking fireball struck the pavement between us kids. It was about the size of a basketball and bounced around on the pavement showering sparks with a lot of noise. I stood frozen, while sister peed her pants, threw her bike down in the street and ran into the house screaming. It was terrifying for us kids! Mom saw it too, as she was just a few yards away, so it wasn't imagination or exaggeration.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:47 PM
dlong
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
I have. I would say the year was appx 1960. I would have been 10 years old. A first cousin and I were riding our bicycles during the late spring or summer months. A thunder storm developed and we headed to his garage to get out of the rain/lightning storm.

There was a loud crack near us, similar to the snap you might have heard when lightning occurs near you. There is a loud snap before the loud boom of the split air. We thought a pine tree had been struck in his front yard. Moments later a glowing ball of fire gently floated down from the tops of the trees in the front to the center of his driveway. As I recall the ball was about 30" in diameter, was floating slowly like a beach ball, never touched the driveway but bounced back upwards to a height of appx 6'. The ball continued to come our way, it had a color but I can't remember if it was blue or red, white, orange or mixed. I do remember that is was sparkling like a common fireworks sparkler. We stood motionless watching it. It entered the garage and exploded. We hit the kitchen door at full speed.

We told our parents about it and there was speculation that lightning had perhaps hit a transformer but nothing ever developed there. At a funeral forty years later, four of us were riding in a car and I asked this cousin if he remembered anything odd happening at his house back in about 1960. No clue was given. He immediately answered that he remembered that ball of lightening blowing up in his garage. Scientists might still be skeptical.....but I've seen one and I know what I saw and heard. I haven't seen any UFO's though. 1917
10 years old is a bit young for Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds!!
Old 12-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:45 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Science Channel had a documentary on this just a few weeks ago. Watch for it on reruns, good program.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:11 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51guy View Post
I have seen ball lightning caught between a high power line and the ground line. It was "rolling" down the wires as the wires sagged, got to the other end and started rolling back. Eventually, it just faded out. Color was a bright white.
Were you close enough to determine if it was making any noise? 1917
Old 12-03-2019, 07:12 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Alabama View Post
I sure did. It would have been around the late 1970's. Mom was hoeing weeds in the garden, and me and sister Pam were riding bicycles up and down the street nearby when a big glowing sparking fireball struck the pavement between us kids. It was about the size of a basketball and bounced around on the pavement showering sparks with a lot of noise. I stood frozen, while sister peed her pants, threw her bike down in the street and ran into the house screaming. It was terrifying for us kids! Mom saw it too, as she was just a few yards away, so it wasn't imagination or exaggeration.
What kind of noise if you remember? Color? Did it seem to be floating softly like a beach ball? I'd say the whole thing for us lasted no longer than five seconds before the ball exploded. I don't remember any smell. 1917
Old 12-03-2019, 07:57 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
10 years old is a bit young for Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds!!

No, me either.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:03 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Knowledge is infinite, imagine the possibilities! UFO's "are" model T's that make our conventional aircraft look like caveman city!

Super interesting recounts of Ball Lightning!~
Old 12-03-2019, 09:22 PM
skywag
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No. But I've seen Saint Elmo's fire.

All along the windshield of a Falcon 50 on the climb out in Florida with thunderstorms all quadrants.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:21 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
What kind of noise if you remember? Color? Did it seem to be floating softly like a beach ball? I'd say the whole thing for us lasted no longer than five seconds before the ball exploded. I don't remember any smell. 1917
A loud deep BOOM on initial impact with the ground, then popping and sizzling noises as it bounced around on the ground several times spraying sparks like welding or cutting steel with an electric arc machine. We hadn't had any inkling of anything coming as it just suddenly struck the tar and gravel street, so I don't recall whether it came down slowly or quickly. As it bounced around the fireball shrank in size until got down to about softball size and it exploded with a growling boom. It sounded like what it looked like, a large electrical explosion. Closest thing I've ever heard that sounded similar was lightning striking an electrical transformer near the school lunchroom at Hanceville.

Colorwise it was initially light yellow and bright like the sun. The only smell that l can remember was hot tar/asphalt from the street.