Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:36 AM
jcc273

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
69A feeding issues

My dad sent me an old basic Win69a - no scope grooves and leaf rear/post front sights, rear swept bolt-handle, and grooved trigger, no chrome anywhere, so early '54? .

It had a small amount of surface rust where hands would normally hold and on the original magazine base. The bore looks pristine, bore scope shows it's in better shape than my 10/22 replacement barrel.

At 60 yards it's really accurate for an open sight gun - for me at least. Kinda wish I could scope it to see just how accurate, but I like it for what it is and I'm not going to mess with it.

The only issue I have is feeding/jamming. I bought a couple repro mags from ebay and they are thinner steel than the original but work roughly the same. Some ammo seems to work better than others but all will jam, usually the last round will not 'lift' the nose of the bullet into the chamber. Sometime the second round seems to have it's rim hooked behind the 3rd round's rim making it rough to load. I tried putting the mag spring in backwards - this works to an extent, but makes a full mag very tight. This is the case for the original as well as the new mags.

Pushing the mag realease drops the magazine right out, no binding on insertion. The new mags are kind of flimsy including the follower, which has a 'kink' midway that looks like it's there to lift the bullet nose. I can make things better or worse bending parts here and there but will probably make it a $28 piece of trash if I'm not careful....

Any ideas for a fix?

-Jim

Last edited by jcc273; 09-07-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:25 AM
jcc273

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More info - I took it out of the stock, installed the magazine and cycled the 5 rounds. Same result - last round needed 'help' into the chamber. two rounds have 'cuts' into the nose of the bullet and another has a scuff.

I should get snap caps - kind of worrying cycling live rounds with the trigger hanging out like that.

I also found something I overlooked - there is a partial '51' stamped into the barrel and what looks like a partial 'M'. The 51 would be the year the barrel was made, no idea about the 'M' or even if it is one.

-Jim
Old 09-07-2019, 11:33 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buy and original mag and report back.

If I remember correctly the original magazines had 2 support ribs and the aftermarket ones 3. There is a slight difference in the follower shape. I believe some of the new ones have a bent top. Originals feed a lot better. Try ebay and you can probably get one for $40 or less if you are lucky. They will have all the patent dates on them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-...0AAOSw6NZdcAYY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 11:34 AM
HectorFuego
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's not unusual with aftermarket 10 round mags. If that's what you are using, try some 5 round mags. They seem to work better in all my 69A's.

Note that I have 2 Winchester factory 10 round mags for my first 69A. One of them came with the rifle so it's 80 years old give or take a year. I occasionally have feeding issues with them, too.

Hector
Old 09-07-2019, 12:45 PM
jcc273

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies.

All 3 mags that I have are 5 round, 1 original 2 rib with Winchester trademark that came with the rifle, and now 2 aftermarket 3 rib, no markings, that I got from Numrich.

All three work about the same, same feeding issues mentioned above. If I reverse the mag springs, they feed a bit better but the bullets are so tight in the mag it can't easily be inserted in the gun with a closed bolt.

This has me thinking that 'reshaping' the rear top of the mag may help, but this is a tricky area - wrong shape can do all kinds of interesting things - bullets pointing straight up to the sky as soon as the bolt touches them etc. Not only that, but the aftermarket mags are so thin I don't think they would hold any particular shape I bent it into...

-Jim
Old 09-07-2019, 01:23 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had feeding issues after putting a mag back together with the follower backwards
Old 09-07-2019, 03:58 PM
jcc273

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
I had feeding issues after putting a mag back together with the follower backwards
The thought crossed my mind, but these ones don't seem to fit backward well enough to use.

-Jim
Old 09-08-2019, 01:18 AM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Look for the 5 round mags which are marked on the floorplate with a capital W which is underlined.These are oem quality magazines manufactured by Wisner's. Wisner is an extremely fussy guy who only makes high quality reproduction parts and magazines.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:17 AM
jcc273

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarDaBear View Post
Look for the 5 round mags which are marked on the floorplate with a capital W which is underlined.These are oem quality magazines manufactured by Wisner's. Wisner is an extremely fussy guy who only makes high quality reproduction parts and magazines.
This turned out to be good advice. I ordered 3 of them, when they arrived they looked exactly the same as the numrich mags, but I tried them anyway. So far, no feeding issues at all from 2 of them,hundreds of rounds each.

Thanks -Jim