0% (0)
Best home security systems?

Ring, Vivint, ADT....what's your opinion? 1917
Old 12-15-2019, 11:49 AM
dlong
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Small local guy with Ademco 21 IP panel. All hardwired. Central station shouldn’t be more than $25 a month. 21 IP panel uses Honeywell Alarmnet cellular system. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by dlong; 12-15-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:10 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Simply safe. Response time is great and only $15 a month to subscribe to monitoring service. The difference is you buy and own the equipment but you buy online and customize to your needs with no pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2019, 12:46 PM
kanoradodave

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
We got a blink 2. But still pretty fresh. Pic quality seems ok. Not great. No monthly service fees. Some cloud storage. Motion sensors seem to work well. I really just use it for when we are gone. Install is simple. Was between it and the arlo line. I will update later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

R
Old 12-15-2019, 01:29 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Pretty ferocious. But who is stupid enough to feed him when youíre gone?
Old 12-15-2019, 03:20 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good grief....the only one I understand so far is the dog. 1917
Old 12-15-2019, 03:43 PM
kanoradodave

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Well what have you researched so far 1917? I think u have several great option. You wanting it monitored 24/7 or just on your own. What aspects are important? I know you donít have to clean up behind the blink for 10 plus years or any vet bills. But dog is always a option. Not sure you can access dog from your smart phone when u are 800 miles away but maybe that isnít a option u need.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:48 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had Vivint for a few years now and am happy with them. I've only had one component fail and a phone call got me a new one in just a couple of days at no charge. They will also send a tech around to check out your system for free. I don't remember the time span between checks though.

Last edited by Arrowhead; 12-16-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I saw a terrifying news report last week where the security system in the room of an eight year old girl was hacked and this creep stranger kept saying he was santa clause and that she should talk to him!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/12/tech/...rnd/index.html

Nope, I won't have Siri, Echo Dot, Alexa, Ring, or any other such device in my home.

R

Last edited by Rhody; 12-15-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:22 PM
kanoradodave

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Rhody how did you reply to this? Did you mail in your response? Embrace technology. Yes hacks happen. That is life now. Sound like the guy on the horse talking about cars when they first came out. I donít need that new fangled stuff. How many people riding horses to work. He asked about home security.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:57 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Rhody I saw that story as well. There is a special room in the devils hotel for that guy. I have made it 5 decades without the need for such a device. As far as the security camera if you go with a hard wired unit there will less chance of it being hacked as long as the monitoring company keeps up their security protocol.

Mals
Old 12-15-2019, 08:38 PM
Tennessee453

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have only had blink for a short time and it’s outside. The ring wouldn’t work at our house without a WiFi extender. One of the cameras quit working first day so I sent the ring stuff back.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:05 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've had a contract with a local alarm company since forever. It's like $20/month, they monitor and maintain. I love it, but start up was expensive to wire the house.

Now a days everything is wireless. I'd go with the 'Simply Safe' route.

For cameras, I'd go with the Arlo wireless cameras if I had a do-over.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:10 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the people with the Rings (there has been more than one report) all failed to assign a password.

I'd like to be warned if someone is creeping around the house or cars at night, (except the dozen or so deer that wander through). Front, carport side, basement. I like infrared and daylight. I'd like to have a picture worth seeing. One that is clear enough to tell who the person is. I'm not sure what the options are. Of course some neighbors have systems that call the alarm co who call the house and if they don't get an answer they call the police.

I'm in the city, have internet and wireless phone. I wanna be able to talk to them. Cloud is good if the data isn't stored somewhere the perps can smash or steal. On the other hand.....simple is good in my book. I don't want something really complicated, don't want to spend $100 a month on some security service either. Phone alert with pictures and I can either take care of it or call the police. Perps around here always seem to strike when no one is home. It is really easy to knock on the door....lost dog, need some pine straw, trees cut..., etc. What they are really doing is casing the joint. Doesn't take long to kick in a door or window and grab a lot of expensive stuff. Got a big safe but still plenty of computers, cameras, etc. out for the picking. Warn me, give me a photo, be able to catch and prosecute em. 1917