Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:53 PM
center_shot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
$300-$500 Semi Autos - Which one?

Posted this below but this forum seems more appropriate. I'm on the hunt for a nice Semi-Auto .22lr. Have not owned one for a few years and am out of touch with what is available. After selling my 617, I am in need of a new pistol. I have looked at the new Ruger Mark IV's, Buckmarks and S&W Victory's - as well as a nice older Browning Challenger II.

Of the ones mentioned above I'm leaning toward the Victory due to the trigger being much better than the Ruger's. Have not tried the trigger on the Buckmark but a good trigger is critical to my choice. I understand that there are aftermarket replacements and am not opposed to them but would rather have a good one to start with. Something about adding $100 to a brand new pistol to get a decent trigger seems a little messed up.

This pistol will be used for hunting Jack Rabbits, Rock Chucks and ground squirrels as well as informal target shooting and plinking. It needs to be capable of ~2" accuracy at 50 yards (rested) to reliably take the varmints I chase. I'm more of a 'make one good shot' shooter than 'empty the mag' type shooter. I'm not opposed to spending a little more if necessary to get the quality I'm after and I have no problem with some other vintage autos (brother had a High Standard) etc. as long as they have a good trigger, function properly and are accurate.

So, I'm looking for opinions and hoping to not make a mistake before spending my hard earned $. Any opinions appreciated.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:57 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I have several Rugers of all generations, a couple of Buckmarks and as of last week two S&W Victory's, one threaded and one not, at current pricing I'd look hard at the S&W's but that's just me.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:31 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you have a 1911 pistol a conversion might be considered. My best shooting semi pistol is a 1911 with a Ciener conversion. My other good shooting semi pistol is a Ruger standard 4" made in 1953. Not much experience with other semi's in your price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2018, 10:07 AM
center_shot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't have a 1911, unfortunately. Not may opinions, surprised.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by center_shot View Post
Don't have a 1911, unfortunately. Not may opinions, surprised.
You will find more responses in the Open forum where this question was also posted.

I have a Buck Mark UDX and a Ruger Mark IV Target. I like both of them, but I am the first to admit I am not very good with pistols, so I have no conclusive data on the relative accuracy of the pistols you mentioned. My limited target data indicates that the Buck Mark shoots a bit more accurately in my hands than the Ruger Mark IV, with 5" average 10-shot groups for the Buck Mark at 25 yards and 5.5" groups for the Mark IV, using open sights & CCI SV and Fed AutoMatch ammo. No mods to either gun.

I like the green fiber optic front sight on the Buck Mark much better than the black post on the Ruger.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:38 PM
wayne38

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Go Your Brother One Better

Center_Shot,
Your brother is on the right track with the High Standard but you can one-up him by getting a High Standard 10-X. Of course it will set you back about a $1,000 but is worth it. I have over 200 of the "vintage" wood and steel .22 LR target guns and it will hold it's own with Hammerli's, Morini's, Walther's, Pardini's, etc.....And it's made in the U.S.A.

Wayne38
Old 03-29-2018, 11:25 PM
Tlnorwood

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Your price range affords you a lot of choices - both new and used.
I've not shot a Ruger MK IV, but I found the trigger on my S&W SW22 (Victory) to be no better (and even worse) than Ruger MK II's and MK III's I've shot (using both how the trigger feels to my finger and using digital measurement).

Among the choices you mentioned, I prefer the Buckmark (and it's many variations) over the S&W.

FWIW - I've never shot a Challenger 2, but I can say that the original Browning Challenger has a trigger that puts the Rugers, Buckmark's, S&W Victory's, Beretta Neos to shame...

In the end, it comes down to which one feels right to you. The worst of any of the pistols that you mentioned is still a good gun.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:21 PM
center_shot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Went with the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Target version. Nice pistol, need a trigger job but other than that pretty neat. Will be on the lookout for a High Standard, but until then this Ruger will do nicely.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:53 AM
DAT123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
- Have two High Standard and four magazines, none of the magazines works on both High Standard.
- Have Ruger Mark II bull barrel, Buckmark Contour, Buckmark Lite, S&W 22A1. The Ruger Mark II out shoot all of the others.

For $300-$500 get the Ruger Mark IV, get the bull barrel, target, competition or Government Target Model if you can.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:37 AM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
in your price range

A few months ago I bought a Ruger MKII stainless Government Target Model for $450 off of GB. It is in excellent condition and after a good cleaning, it operates perfectly with standard velocity ammunition. I already had some double diamond, checkered rosewood grips from quite a few years back and they look beautiful against the stainless. I also replaced that back cut sight with a more visible field type one, and it has become a really nice woodsman type .22 that has much better than average accuracy. I wish I could post pictures because I know that you would really like the overall lines of this pistol for less than your maximum money limit. Enjoy your hunt, and good luck finding something that will bring you years of fun.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:23 PM
sourdoughjim
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
Am always amused by the recommendations that continue to come in after the OP has posted w/ an update on their selection.
Well, go ahead and be amused. Ever bought a gun that you thought would be the cat's meow and found out it did not suit you?

Posting preferences after the OP has bought a gun only provides food for thought in case of disappointment with the purchase, or a purchase of a second gun, or for other readers of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushka View Post
If you have a 1911 pistol a conversion might be considered. My best shooting semi pistol is a 1911 with a Ciener conversion.
I have to concur as I find the 1911 trigger to be among the best there is.

Mine, built by me in 2013 from a stripped Olympic Arms Matchmaster frame with SARCO, Numrich, Hogue, and Wolff parts and a 1992 Ciener conversion top end with a 15-round mag. 19# mainspring. Shoots anything from Rem Subsonics to CCI Mini-Mags. Parkerized at the Oly factory to match the park on the Ciener barrel for $40. Even with fixed sights it shoots minute-of-soda can-angle at 25 yards.

I have less than $500 into it plus elbow grease.

Still amused?

Jim
Old 10-19-2018, 04:53 AM
Biggfoot44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eh . Even after the specific OP has made his decision , a thread such as this one has a theme of wide interest , and will probably be searched by others looking into the topic .

They are discontinued , but the S&W M622 & M422 are excellent pistols . Better triggers , and shoots groups 1/3 smaller than stock Rugers .

My daughter recieved a Beretta NEO this past Christmas , but I haven't yet borrowed it for serious testing .
Old 10-19-2018, 07:55 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Center Shot, you already made a good pick but I'll throw this mutt out of left field just for fun.

Walther-Colt-Umarex 1911 -22 Gold Cup Tribute. Can be found new in the $300 range. A surprisingly accurate and reliable plinker class firearm. Highly recommended. And if you've already got a .22 can, so much the better!

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walther 1911-22.jpg (74.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:52 AM
armed in utah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
for my money......bought the tan GSG 1911-22

right close to $300 delivered...3 spare mags too

Sig 1911-22 same as GSG......

Walther would be a good choice also.....
Old 10-19-2018, 09:29 PM
osbornk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by center_shot View Post
Went with the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Target version. Nice pistol, need a trigger job but other than that pretty neat. Will be on the lookout for a High Standard, but until then this Ruger will do nicely.

I have a Mk III 22/45 and the trigger gets much better after several hundred rounds are shot. I wouldn't do anything yet if I were you.