What revolver would you like from S&W? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:20 PM
BobCole
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
Im not a collector so i dont know the exact model but ide like a copy of 44 dirty harry used.

.44 is a bit much for my arms

I have a 6" Dan wesson model 17 i believe its close but i dont shoot it alot because of the ammo. If it was .22LR ide shoot it alot more.
The Model 17 is what you're looking for, IMO. They're in both 6" & 8-3/8" bbl lengths. I have both.............
Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM
jazzsax8
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Model 18 round butt

I found a model 18 that was modified to a round butt by a very skilled gunsmith. While it looks factory I dont believe they ever made one. Nice heft compared to the J frames and a great double action practice piece for my round butt N-frame.

Marshall
Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 AM
mudd turtle

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Gerald : Where could a pistol like that be found. Would you have to special order ? Mudd Turtle.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 PM
noshow

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Likely not feasible but I'd love a .22wmr version of my 63 3", loud and obnoxious likely but a dandy little trail gun it would make. The added heft of the 63 wouldn't bother me a bit.
Hey Gerald!
To my knowledge, the closest you can come to a 3" 22WMR Kit Gun is the Model 650:

Unfortunately, you would have to make due with fixed sights. I am happy to say I own one and it is the last revolver I will part with
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I've seen a couple of the 650's but they're pretty rare in these parts, the 63 3" serves me pretty well at any rate but I get a bit tickled at the conclusions some folks jump to about the .22wmr in a pistol.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:01 PM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
Quote:
3 inch does just lovely for me....

Nice gun, my friend!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:01 PM
bbqbob51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 4" bbl 686+ and love it. I put $200 down and have ordered a 6" bbl 617, can't wait for that to come in to my LGS. It's been about 5 weeks and the wait is killing me! The word is that S&W factories are slowly catching up.
My wish list also includes a 617 with a 4" bbl and a 686+ with a 6" bbl. I just have to be patient.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 AM
noshow

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Since we're including centerfires in this discussion, there is one I'd really like to see. That is a S&W version of the Charter Arms Bulldog, ie a 3", round butt, 5 shot, fixed sight K frame chambered in 44 Special.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Rusty_Relic
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I've seen a couple of the 650's but they're pretty rare in these parts, the 63 3" serves me pretty well at any rate but I get a bit tickled at the conclusions some folks jump to about the .22wmr in a pistol.
Well, I hope my "conclusions" aren't the ones tickling you! The rifle cartridge in a pistol fad has always been a puzzlement to me.
Buy a revolver that uses a more expensive cartridge designed for a rifle. Uses the same size bullet, but is loaded with slower burning powder, why (?), to increase the mv in the longer barrel of a rifle. Well, duh! Powder that ends up being blown out the end of the shorter revolver barrel and set on fire. I know, because I've actually shot a .22 magnum revolver in the dark. A Colt Peacemaker with both cylinders. (Next time I'm going to take a picture! It's real purtty!)
Hey, I know, let's do this with a .30 Carbine cartridge! Oh, wait it's already been done. Why, I haven't the slightest idea? Now, you talk about HUGE fireballs blinding somebody!
Wayne
Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 AM
groundhogsniper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remember Smith also made the model 51 kit gun, although somewhat rare.
.22WMR, blue or nickel, 3 1/2" barrel, adj. sight.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Relic View Post
Well, I hope my "conclusions" aren't the ones tickling you! The rifle cartridge in a pistol fad has always been a puzzlement to me.
Buy a revolver that uses a more expensive cartridge designed for a rifle. Uses the same size bullet, but is loaded with slower burning powder, why (?), to increase the mv in the longer barrel of a rifle. Well, duh! Powder that ends up being blown out the end of the shorter revolver barrel and set on fire. I know, because I've actually shot a .22 magnum revolver in the dark. A Colt Peacemaker with both cylinders. (Next time I'm going to take a picture! It's real purtty!)
Hey, I know, let's do this with a .30 Carbine cartridge! Oh, wait it's already been done. Why, I haven't the slightest idea? Now, you talk about HUGE fireballs blinding somebody!
Wayne
I have the perfect solution to your puzzlement....don't buy one. Problems solved, next.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Rusty_Relic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And, I won't. There was no problem to begin with!
Wayne
Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Rusty_Relic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After some careful consideration, I would like Smith and Wesson to bring back their early 22/32 heavy frame target, sometimes called the Bekeart Model. It hasn't been manufactured in over 70 years. Much lighter than the current K-17. When I see one at a gun show they just seem like a nice well balanced revolver with a longer barrel for a distinct purpose, putting holes in a target.
Wayne
Old 05-12-2013, 07:30 AM
noshow

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I would have a very difficult time not buying a 22 M&P (model 45), if ever I was lucky enough to locate one. It was called the Post Office model and was made as a trainer for the 38 M&P (model 10). I would sell what I had to for financing.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Drilling Man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Relic View Post
Wayne
I chronoed the 22 magnum model 48's i've owned, and the velocity loss was dramatic....plus with the HUGE increase in the noise level, they were all soon gone and i don't miss them even one bit...

DM