5rnd Mag - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:15 AM
Gobber
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
5rnd Mag

On GB for $50. No photo.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/851869196

How long will it last
Old 01-28-2020, 07:19 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
[QUOTE=Gobber;11743623]On GB for $50. No photo.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/851869196

How long will it last

Looks like it may be awhile... NO takers @ the BIN price of $50. I guess if you REALLY needed one
Old 01-30-2020, 07:58 AM
shootsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
83% (19)
I thought aomeone was 3D printing them a few years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 10:07 AM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, if you need one/want one... and don't have the time/patience/willingness to hunt around.
- I guess $50 isn't all that bad for something that isn't readily available anymore.

Heck, not so long ago someone had offered me $40 for some of my "spares" and I turned him down.
- Why? If/When I'll want to get others... chances are I won't be able to find them for $40

The guy got upset when I told him some were available from a biathlon shop for $85CDN
(sure they have a updated Larsen floor plate)
http://www.nordicmarksman.com/Izhmas...-Magazine.html
Old 01-31-2020, 12:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMike View Post
Well, if you need one/want one... and don't have the time/patience/willingness to hunt around.
- I guess $50 isn't all that bad for something that isn't readily available anymore.

Heck, not so long ago someone had offered me $40 for some of my "spares" and I turned him down.
- Why? If/When I'll want to get others... chances are I won't be able to find them for $40

The guy got upset when I told him some were available from a biathlon shop for $85CDN
(sure they have a updated Larsen floor plate)
http://www.nordicmarksman.com/Izhmas...-Magazine.html
Heck, I thought only the MAGAZINES were gold plated....Now it seems gold-plated floor plates are available as well On a more serious note, I wonder whatever happened to "DMACHINES" (I think...)?? He posted awhile back on RFC about manufacturing new formed steel (not plastic) mags, and had put out some "feelers" in terms of what the interest in new 5 or 10 round mags would be.
Many positive responses from RFC folks, but "crickets" from DMachines. Not sure what happened there...
Old 02-03-2020, 10:23 AM
sainava

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootsquirrel View Post
I thought aomeone was 3D printing them a few years ago.
I finished a prototype print of the 5 round mag last night and it seems to work great. I'm wondering how many people are interested in buying these before I start whipping these up out of more durable and more expensive materials. It will probably be a month before I've got it all finalized.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainava View Post
I finished a prototype print of the 5 round mag last night and it seems to work great. I'm wondering how many people are interested in buying these before I start whipping these up out of more durable and more expensive materials. It will probably be a month before I've got it all finalized.
sainava---You tell us how much$, and we'll tell you how much interest there is
At $50 each, probably not very much (witness the Gunbroker ad...). At $25 to $30 each, you'll probably sell all you can make. That is, IF they are proven to feed well and are as durable as the factory Izhmash mags. Another factor to consider is a few folks (fellow RFC'er "Gobber" comes to mind) have successfully modified the readily available Marlin (steel) magazines to work quite nicely, so there IS a viable alternative for perhaps $15, WITH some tinkering required of course. If you decide to produce these, I would be interested in "torture testing" and reviewing a few mags for you, as I use my 7-2KO's quite a bit.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:16 PM
sainava

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, 25-30 bucks per mag is my goal price. The main material will be MJF Nylon 12, so it will be very tough (a lot of my rifle parts are already made from it). I just ordered enough to make 12 mags and will keep you updated!
Old 02-04-2020, 10:38 AM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also thinking of making 10 rounders? Could use Marlin springs?

Topstrap
Old 02-04-2020, 10:46 AM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just thinking out-loud for the guys with 3-d printer experience.
- The challenge for modifying a Marlin magazine to work with the BB is the sleeve.

- Wouldn't it make sens for someone to come-up with a slip-on sleeve to go over the Marlin magazine, with the correct place to file down?

From this thread
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1177111

Old 02-05-2020, 02:59 PM
Gobber

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some very interesting points here.

Sainava - Thanks for the work on 3-D printing! My understanding is that the devil is in the details for such a project. First thought that comes to mind is a source for the mag springs. Word is custom springs of a certain shape and strength can be problematic to outsource. There may be a solution available if you don't have one already.

Marlin Sleeve - A tough plastic shell would be great as it is not abrasive to the synthetic mag-well of the 7-2. My limited experience in doing a simple carbon fiber wrap is that the wall thickness of the sleeve ends up being pretty thin. A printed sleeve with a bit of heat activated adhesive (hot glue + heat gun) would be the ticket!

Custom Follower - I would be very interested in a 3-D printed follower to fit a Marlin mag that has the top shelf profile of the 7-2 mated to the Marlin side profile. After more use of my Marlin Modified Mag (lot of M's there), I have seen some bullet shaving occurring on the top of the slug. Even after tuning the steel feed lips a bit, it still shaves a bit.

Need to play around with a few more variables to get a better feeding geometry.

Here are some images.

Last edited by Gobber; 02-05-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:02 AM
sainava

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's what I'll be testing this weekend. I made it at home using a carbon fiber filled nylon. It's actually surprisingly strong; I can't break it by hand and I chucked it at a brick wall and it didn't shatter. It also loads great without any live firing. I don't see why it wouldn't work outdoors, but you never know! I sourced springs that were pretty close to the original, but I had to adjust the model slightly to work with them. It's not indestructible as I was able to pry it apart with pliers... but I wouldn't dare try doing that with the official magazine, so it's not a good test
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200206_084218.jpg (487.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200206_084243.jpg (609.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200206_084307.jpg (485.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-06-2020, 09:58 AM
Gobber

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sainava-

That is the BOMB! Love the uniformed rough finish.
Didn't realize CF filled nylon was an option. That thing has to be pretty tough.
If it functions well, I would be interested in a few of the 10rnd version.
If it takes a pair of pliers to force it to fail, that sounds as good or better than the original.
And just to be clear, I'm not volunteering to do a destructive test on any of my original IZH mags. /s
Old 02-06-2020, 11:15 AM
USGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like we having a break through here! How it holds against friction between itself and metal latch inside mag well?
If you'll be able to print some for sale, I would be in line for some 5 rounders if price is right.
Magnificent job!

Last edited by USGuy; 02-07-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:36 AM
SillyMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I had more time than brain (and a 3D printer, and the required skilss) I'd be tempted to make a 7-2 mag well that accepts Marlin magazine without modification