Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:53 PM
DonnyO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did bad ammo ruin my barrel?

MK III 22/45

Last time out I used a box of Federal 36gn HP from a bulk 550 box. I had several issues with misfires and failure to fully eject. Two times it misfired and after clearing it had a much louder bang happened when I fired it. The rounds were intact when I ejected them so I didn't think there was an obstruction.

Today cleaning the barrel I noticed two distinct places in the barrel where there is a ring in the barrel that will not come out with regular cleaning. I have never had issues cleaning with any ammo and it always comes perfectly clean with a light soak and a few brush strokes. The barrel has always been nice and shiny with no defects.

Not happy AT ALL. I've had this gun fore many years and now feel my bull barrel is ruined.

I shoot rimfire matches and usually use Federal AutoMatch with almost zero failures but I was trying to use this to practice.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:27 PM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well... it’s garbage ammo. Try good CCI ammo, a ring shouldn’t affect accuracy believe it or not. Usually a ring is a bulge but again it should be ok.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:39 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
AFAIK the only way you'll get a ring or bulge is to have a obstruction and shoot another round. But you would have had a stuck bullet to remove. I doubt one bullet will shoot the stuck one out. Plus you would have noticed a real sharp report out of the chamber end from the pressure coming out the action. Is it a visible ring only or can you feel a loose spot also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 05:19 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pull a bullet from a .22, push it up the barrel and feel how much pressure it takes along the way. You will be able to tell if there is an open spot.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:01 PM
DonnyO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
AFAIK the only way you'll get a ring or bulge is to have a obstruction and shoot another round. But you would have had a stuck bullet to remove. I doubt one bullet will shoot the stuck one out. Plus you would have noticed a real sharp report out of the chamber end from the pressure coming out the action. Is it a visible ring only or can you feel a loose spot also?
Well it did have a loud report in both instances and after the first one I did make sure nothing was obstructing the barrel. Either way I just got home from shooting an entire box of AutoMatch, 325 rounds with no failures and good accuracy. Going to do a thorough cleaning and if it doesn't come clean some lead remover and go from there.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:58 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
A bullet can indeed shoot a stuck round from a barrel but will almost assuredly ring the barrel doing so, the good news is Jammer is right such rings often will not ruin the accuracy.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:25 AM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
96% (25)
If this is a bull barrel on a target model, I can't believe that the pressure could spike that high to "ring" the barrel. You are talking over 3 tenths of an inch wall thickness.

A tapered one maybe.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 AM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've got a Mossberg 151M that has a ring midway in the barrel. At that point it's diameter is as big as a HB Ruger.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
RacerX, yep, for sure and certain it can ring a barrel; lots of em out there to prove it.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:24 AM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
GMD is correct ! A bullet will shoot another bullet out of a barrel and it will compress the bore and form a "ring" when it happens. I would contact Federal and tell them about the incident and give them the lot number on the box of rounds that caused the ring. Maybe they will help you out in some way.