.17 HM2 went kaboom..... - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:32 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I once owned a Thompson Center R55 semi-auto in .17M2 cartridge and it was wonderfully accurate and I religiously kept the chamber squeaky clean with a bore-snake and never had a kaboom with it. However, the possibility of having one was always in the back of my mind so I sold it while it was like new and still had decent value. I now have only bolt action rifles in this caliber.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:07 PM
917M2Sfan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armtx View Post
It is the perfect, 100m and under, squirrel killer, BUT, IMO it is not suited for semi autos.
We need a Ruger 10/17M2, designed by Ruger and this round would take off. The KABOOMS seems to be almost entirely associated with semi autos and most likely do to the blow back actions...the bolts are just not heavy enough.
I doubt that there is now, or ever will be, sufficient consumer demand for prompt Ruger to go to the effort of designing a strengthened/revised 10/22 action to handle it.

If (when?) Whittaker's receives their special order of RARs in 17HM2 I'll be a buyer. Until then, I'll just go on shooting the 917M2S while the weather is hot/humid and save the blued CM rifles for when the weather changes to autumn. I kind of wish that I'd set the barrel back on a 917S when I had 17HM2 finish reamer, so that I'd have a lighter 17HM2 in stainless to carry for early season fox squirrels.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:18 PM
farscott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
My experience with the .17 HM2 is limited. I have a 10/22 (10/17??) rifle built with the Volquartsen bolt and barrel, but it has almost no rounds through it. No local stores stock ammo, so I need to wait for a free shipping offer so I can buy ammo without buying a case. Would hate to buy a case of ammo that the rifle does not "like".
Old 08-31-2018, 08:31 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HM2 semi-autos

Ruger couldn't figure out how to make the 10/17HMR run so thinking they will ever make a HM2 version is dreaming. They were so close to releasing the HMR that they included it in owner's manuals. I have one of those manuals.

Thoughts on the kabooms: While they are rare, there have been kabooms in .22lr version of the Ruger 10/22. The real culprit is that the 10/22 is a blow-back action which means there is a lot of ignition debris released into the action and chamber with every shot. A straight-wall cartridge is not affected as much as a tapered cartridge. Ignition debris will accumulate and it can become critical in the area of the cartridge shoulder. Buildup there can/will prevent the round from chambering fully but it will chanber far enough for the rifle to fire the round. The result is known as KABOOM, AKA out-of-battery ignition. I do not believe this is an ammo problem but rather a failure to keep the chamber cleaned. This level of cleaning is beyond expectation for most 10/22 owners. I'm sure Ruger was aware of this and killed production of the 10/17 because of it.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:19 PM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ask me how I know...

[/QUOTE]

Wow Chaser, that was a serious KABOOM! Looks like you had some firecrackers packed inside the magazine. Ouch. Glad you were'nt hurt.

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Old 09-01-2018, 11:28 PM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since we seem to be revisiting the subject of semi autos in .17 Mach 2 and KaBooms.........

I have a Ruger 10/22 that was converted to .17 Mach 2. Mine was purchased from a guy that used parts from.....

http://eabco.com/102201.html

Note: E. A. Brown Co. is no longer selling conversion parts for the Ruger 10/22 conversion. In fact.....if you look hard enough, he explains why.

Anyway.....I have had my share of problems with my Ruger 10/22 to .17 Mach 2 rifle conversion. I actually had two KaBooms. Below are pictures of my KaBoom which occurred when I used some old ammo. Later, I changed to some new ammo (different lot number) and the problem seemed to fix itself.

Remember what E.A. Brown's web site said about ammo?

https://eabco.com/17HM2Testing.htm

OK, Ok, ok.......I wouldn't say: "Problem Solved." Though I did buy a bolt action Marlin 917 in .17 Mach 2 to help use up the ammo.

Aloha, Mark

PS....the flattened bullet/projectile tip (in the photo) is a the result of the removal process. The bullet had been stuck in the bore, as a result of the firing/KaBoom.

Last edited by ma96782; 09-05-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:40 PM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I don't know why I kept this photo. Humm......it might be the seller's original photograph of the Ruger that I currently own. IF NOT.....well, it certainly looks like it.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited by ma96782; 09-01-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 PM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So then......

Today, 9-9-2018, I took the Ruger 10/22 that was converted to .17 Mach 2 out for a spin. OMG! it was awful.......though educational.

I had several KaBooms.

What's happening?

Well, I suspect that the ammo isn't well crimped.

Maybe that is whats causing overpressure and the KaBooms?

BTW....this is the ammo with the black tips.

So, I switched ammo to this stuff. Note: First Production Run

And, the problems continued......

The score so far? Two magazines destroyed and the day is NOT going well.

So, I change ammo again. This time it's......

So then, my problems seems to have gone away with this newer ammo.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited by ma96782; 09-11-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:52 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
My VQ conversion does not like my stash of Eley but loves the new Hornady stuff like yours. Now my Charger with the 10" barrel eats anything.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:27 AM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That picture of the box of Hornady (priced at $8.99) was my last one from that batch.

I currently have these left.......

I'm planning to use my newest ammo, purchased in 2018 (top brick in the picture) for my Ruger 10/22 conversion. I haven't tried it yet. So, wish me luck with that.

As for the Hornady "First Production Run" ammo. I'll use that for shooting out of my Marlin 917 (bolt gun) in .17 Mach 2. And, I also have two bricks of .17 Aguila that works well out of that bolt gun.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited by ma96782; 09-11-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This sounds like minor league spin that revolver cylinder with one in the chamber and putting the barrel on your temple and pulling the trigger. Whats that called?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I think the new ammo is the way to go. I haven’t had any real issues. Do have that Gunsmither tool though. I am pretty unlucky too. When I buy scratch lotto tickets they usually say “You still owe us $20!”
Old 09-12-2018, 06:49 AM
farscott

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
For those of us with 10/22 conversions, does it make sense to turn the rifle into a manually-operated repeater like some people do to eliminate action noise on a suppressed 10/22?

I am considering holding the bolt closed after loading as shown in the below (not mine) picture, so that any ammo issue causing a case failure forces the gases and debris to be directed out the bottom of the gun via the magazine and magazine well. Stuff ejected from the bolt opening in the receiver is a special concern to me as I shoot off my left shoulder, so the bolt opening is close to my face. I do understand that not allowing the bolt to cycle increases the velocity of any gas and debris vented through the magazine well. The other issue is my support (right) arm is pretty close to the magazine well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg singleshotruger.jpg (26.7 KB, 163 views)
Old 09-13-2018, 01:20 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
My best idea here is if the kaboom is still your concern I'd either find a good used bolt gun , a new Savage or buy a Summit action. They all cost more but frustration /anxiety level will plummet.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:59 AM
ma96782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
My best idea here is if the kaboom is still your concern I'd either find a good used bolt gun , a new Savage or buy a Summit action. They all cost more but frustration /anxiety level will plummet.
Yes, I hear you. That is one of the reason(s) why I bought that used Marlin 917 in .17 Mach2.

That aside.....
Today (09-16-18) I took my Ruger 10/22 that was converted to .17 Mach2 out and shot the new batch of Hornady ammo.

YES, my anxiety level was up there until the first box was done. That being said, I was able to finish 100 rounds without a KaBoom. What a relief. But, I had several incidents where a primer strike failed to set off the cartridge. In each case, it appeared as though the firing pin wasn't making contact at all. Hopefully, it's just a cleaning issue.

Anyway.....
I was thinking of converting my Ruger back to 22LR. However, after today, I'll probably keep it as a .17 Mach2.

Aloha, Mark

Last edited by ma96782; 09-17-2018 at 03:41 AM.