Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:30 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reacquainted with my H001

Howdy,

After many years, I just spent some range time with my old Henry H001. She was purchased in 2009 and somehow got lost in the shuffle when I've gotten back into shooting rimfire over the years.

I remembered the incredibly smooth action and perfect feeding. No change there. I burned about 150 rounds today and it was a blast. My only complaint is the somewhat imprecise factory sights. For plinking, it's fine. But for little bullseyes, they just don't have the precision I like- compared to a GI sight picture like the Tech Sights for instance. With those, I can aim at the center of the bull, instead of just "somewhere in the black," if you know what I mean.

Allow me to share two observations:

Sometimes, it seemed I had to slightly rotate or wiggle the mag tube on the way down over the fresh rounds. Is this normal? I figured it's been so long, maybe I just don't remember.

Also, regarding ammo... I was shooting Remington Golden Bullets and Winchester Super X. Both performed very well. But I was very surprised at the noticeably hotter nature of the Super X, with its louder report and consistently higher point of aim compared with the Remington. I thought these two rounds were similar, as far as velocity and price. My particular rifle seemed to like the Winchester ammo more and delivered tighter groups with it. Has anyone else had similar observations?

Thanks and shoot safe!
Old 08-06-2020, 02:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
They are neat rifles. I put a Williams peep sight on mine. The challenge for accuracy is returning to battery from shot to shot -- at least if I am shooting off bags. Not really what the rifle was intended for, but fun nonetheless. Here's some 50 yard plinking:

Old 08-06-2020, 04:01 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (45)
Slightly wiggling the mag tube is normal. Most of my tube fed rifles due that. Momentarily hung up on the shells esp. in a fuller magazine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2020, 04:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice groups flangster.

Is that Williams peep a drill and tap deal? Does it utilize the factory front sight?

Thanks for the mag info alum572.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:39 AM
kidneyboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbineguy View Post
Nice groups flangster.

Is that Williams peep a drill and tap deal? Does it utilize the factory front sight?

Thanks for the mag info alum572.
The Williams peep sight on my H001 rifle is not a drill and tap. Took about a minute to install it. Mine works with the factory front sight for a 25yd zero. This isn't the case for everyone.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What Williams part? Please let me know, it sounds perfect!

Any pics?

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:43 AM
jac54
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Carbineguy

I also have a Williams peep on my Frontier. It clamps on to the scope rails for easy installation. I can not remember the sight no.but it is a bullet proof sight. I had to replace the front sight with a taller Skinner. The peep arrangement for me is better than the open sights by a large margin and well worth the price and the few minutes it takes to install.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I much prefer peep sights myself and have installed Tech Sights on all my other rimfires.

If you have a Henry with the round barrel, the front sight is not dovetailed, so it's not easy to swap for correct height. I would like to install a peep if it used the existing scope rails and existing front sight.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
The Williams FP-GR-TK has a low line of sight and will work perfectly with a Lyman 17AMI front globe sight. I have a Henry H001 TSPR, which has a shorter tube and an octagonal barrel. It works great with the above combo.

I also have an H001 TLB with only a Williams peep in the back and the factory front sight. That Williams part number is escaping me right now.