Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:43 PM
Tyler4401

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weak strikes on prime mossberg 46a

Could anyone give me advice on correcting this issue please? Do I need a firing pin? Spring? Where would I be able to buy these items? Thank you
Old 08-05-2020, 02:11 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (132)
Disassemble and clean the bolt, lube lightly and re-assemble. If issue persists you can find springs here:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/259320A

$4.00 plus shipping.
Their shipping is a bit high, though nowhere near as high as Jack First, who makes some repro parts for the Mossy's.
You can mitigate this somewhat by buying a few more parts if you think you will need them.
I try to combine orders for different firearms I am working on.

Repro firing pins can be found at Wisner's.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/moss...on-22-caliber/

Last edited by 'ol shooter; 08-05-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:30 PM
Solddaboat
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Southwestern Side of the Metromess, Texas
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler4401 View Post
Could anyone give me advice on correcting this issue please? Do I need a firing pin? Spring? Where would I be able to buy these items? Thank you
If you can show us pictures of the bolt and firing pin it would make things easier for everyone to see..

And you can also show us your whole rifle.... We'd love to see it....
Solddaboat NMCA #1966

If you'll show me yours... I'll show you mine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2020, 02:38 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yup, clean the bolt out. Many of mine had a grey hard sludge in the FP channel. The Master action on your gun has a very easy to disassembler bolt. The end cap unscrews and the handle, plunger, spring and FP can be removed. The end cap is usually tough to remove the first time. A vice padded with a piece of leather or tire inner tube will give some grip and protect the metal. Plus some penetrating oil like Kroil or heat helps. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:03 PM
Artd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Everything mentioned above can contribute to lite-strikes / ignition problems, but one thing that is not typically mentioned is excessive headspace. I am not a Mossberg collector, but I do collect and restore Springfield 1922's. After setting the correct headspace, Springfield serial numbered the bolt to the rifle so bolts would not be swapped. Nonetheless, most bolts ended up being swapped or replace for a myriad of reasons. Consequently, many failure to fire problems can be attributed to excessive headspace.

Art
Old 08-05-2020, 08:43 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (132)
A very good point.
I have an H&R 865 given to me by my brother that had been severely Bubba'd back in the late 1950's.
He never could get it to shoot right and the magazine was missing, lost in a field somewhere.
The long and short was the headspace was a whopping.040 too big, and Bubba tried to compensate by butchering the firing pin.
Lucky for me Numrich has a large inventory of parts for that rifle.
I had to re-purpose two .020 shim washers from an H&R 12 bolt shim kit I had.
I had to open the I.D.'s a bit, but that solved the issue by shimming the bolt head forward of the cocking handle.
New fitted firing pin, a new sear lever, a repro mag and it's a good old shooter now.
Next I need to re-spring the sear lever and trigger return spring because the trigger pull is about 6#.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:06 PM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artd View Post
Everything mentioned above can contribute to lite-strikes / ignition problems, but one thing that is not typically mentioned is excessive headspace. I am not a Mossberg collector, but I do collect and restore Springfield 1922's. After setting the correct headspace, Springfield serial numbered the bolt to the rifle so bolts would not be swapped. Nonetheless, most bolts ended up being swapped or replace for a myriad of reasons. Consequently, many failure to fire problems can be attributed to excessive headspace.

Art
That is a good suggestion to look at, but the chances of a commercial 46A tube feed having a mismatched bolt would be low. If it was a 44US Property or other surplus guns, like Sprinfield 1922 that could be a mix master that may be. I think dirty gummed up bolt is a start.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
After cleaning and all that stuff mentioned. If lite strikes still persist? You might need to file a little off the Bull Snout?
Others type and explain this better than I can!

Last edited by rosscoe; 08-05-2020 at 09:32 PM.