Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:20 PM
patriot07

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
54 sporter rings/scope

Looking for rings and a scope to go on my 1969 54 sporter. The comb on the stock is set up for irons, so I'd like something mounted as low as possible. What are you guys using to keep the factory stock but still have an easy view with no neck strain.

Would like to keep everything at $300, or maybe $400 max. $200 would be even better. Quality of the scope is negotiable as long as it holds zero. Don't necessarily care about top notch glass, because I don't personally think you're any closer to it at $400 than you are $200. I have a $99 Bushnell on my AR that has decent glass and a $500 SWFA 3-15 that's about the same. Neither hold a candle to my $1800 long range scope. So I know decent glass, and a $200 jump just doesn't buy much optically. I just want decent mechanical performance and easy viewing.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:19 AM

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
For that budget, I'd suggest Talley low steel rings, the version designed for the Anschutz groove, and one of the Leupold Freedom series scopes.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:42 PM
patriot07

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks Camster. Any thoughts on one that has something other than a duplex reticle in that price range? I need either a long range reticle or turrets that track. I can live without both in this price range, but I definitely need one or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 07:05 PM
Kiddshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You may want to take a look at Mueller Optics for a scope and Hawke Optics for rings. Mueller has a 8-32X with a 44mm objective that I use on a 1517 17HMR.
The scope is very clear, has target knobs, 1/8" adjustments and side parallax focus and if I remember right is @259.95, can't remember if shipping is extra. I know they're closed due to the Michigan stay at home order. I do use Hawke rings on four rifles and love them. They have models that clamp on Anschutz top grooves as well as Weaver type mounts. Cost is about $30.00 and a little shipping charge. I prefer rings with the double screw top clamps and all theirs have those. They do have two reticles, a Target dot and a Tactical. The Target dot is very fine and I think it's only application is for bench rest, the tactical is in the one on the 17HMR and my only complaint is, the cross hairs are slightly heavier than I would prefer. I have one of the 40X scopes with 20MOA inserts to stretch it our for longer distance shooting with a .22 and they work great. That one is on an Anschutz 64 MPR.
JMHO
Kiddshooter
Old 05-16-2020, 08:02 PM
patriot07

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks kiddshooter - I'll give the Mueller a look. Do they have anything lower power? would really like something like a 4-16. 8x on the bottom end is really long, and I have no need for 32x on the top end. My 6.5 Creedmoor that I've shot out to 1,100 yards only had a 20x scope on it for a long time. It has a 30x now, but I rarely turn it past 25x.

I would prefer mils to MOA, but I can deal with MOA if I have to. I realize I can only get so picky on a tight budget.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:04 PM
patriot07

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ugh, I just went and looked and they do have a 4.5-14, but it's got MOA turrets and mil reticle. I can't support any company that sells something that poorly designed. So dumb...

I think I just need to pony up for another SWFA 3-15. I will take your tip on the rings though.