GM accuracy degradation (cleaning help) - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:29 PM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Well if you've had the barrel/receiver out there is a good chance it's not going back the same way. Maybe some contact with the barrel that acts like a pressure point.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:40 PM
patriot07

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Well if you've had the barrel/receiver out there is a good chance it's not going back the same way. Maybe some contact with the barrel that acts like a pressure point.
Definitely have.

Would you suggest starting towards muzzle or breech end of the barrel?
Old 06-25-2019, 12:16 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
C4, Shooters Choice, Butches Bore Shine for cleaning the carbon out of the chamber with a .25 cal bronze brush. I use the "twist action" Dewey pistol rod with loop for this. If the chamber is that bad, you can bet the next 3 to 5 inches of the barrel needs some attention. Yep, I tried the #9 and Kroil mix, my borescope tells me other solvents are better/faster for cleaning the carbon ring out of the chamber (barrel, too). I have been known to use the #9 and Kroil mix, but for cleaning the barrel with a bronze brush - after all the carbon is out. If that doesn't work, the next step to restore accuracy is highly debated by even the best shooters. I'm a fan of JB Paste. Buy or borrow a borescope and check out your bore. This will take the mystery out of what is wrong with your barrel. I have a Lyman, cheap - but tells me what I need to know. Best of luck! ... AH

PS: Drill that receiver and clean it using a rod from the chamber to the crown.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:12 AM
patriot07

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
C4, Shooters Choice, Butches Bore Shine for cleaning the carbon out of the chamber with a .25 cal bronze brush. I use the "twist action" Dewey pistol rod with loop for this. If the chamber is that bad, you can bet the next 3 to 5 inches of the barrel needs some attention. Yep, I tried the #9 and Kroil mix, my borescope tells me other solvents are better/faster for cleaning the carbon ring out of the chamber (barrel, too). I have been known to use the #9 and Kroil mix, but for cleaning the barrel with a bronze brush - after all the carbon is out. If that doesn't work, the next step to restore accuracy is highly debated by even the best shooters. I'm a fan of JB Paste. Buy or borrow a borescope and check out your bore. This will take the mystery out of what is wrong with your barrel. I have a Lyman, cheap - but tells me what I need to know. Best of luck! ... AH

PS: Drill that receiver and clean it using a rod from the chamber to the crown.
I have drilled the receiver and will only clean chamber to crown from now on.

2 questions:

How long do you let the C4 sit before brushing?
Does the dewey's rod reach the chamber through the receiver hole?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:13 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Hi patriot07: Go to the following site and scroll down and click on "instructions".

https://www.boretech.com/products/c4-carbon-remover

Dewey pistol rods, at this site. I have the 9" offering.

https://deweyrods.com/product-catego.../22-cal-brass/

Here is something I found to be interesting, haven't tried filling the barrel and soaking overnight, but it's on the bucket list.

https://www.pistoleer.com/bluewonder...(04-22-02).pdf

Last edited by ammohog; 06-25-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:07 PM
BadgerJack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Dry the bore, take a used bore brush and wrap some medium grade bronze wool around it. Run it dry up and down the bore a half dozen times and see if a little pile of lead doesn't fall out. Keep your chamber clean of carbon build-up with a bent bore brush on a handle, Gunsmither makes one you can purchase with a brush and mop at either end.
'Ol Shooter is right, but I would just use a new bronze bore brush, personal preferences being what they are.

But remember three important things:

1) Bore Solvent is designed to remove COPPER fouling, it does NOT dissolve lead, only a tight bore brush and elbow grease will do that.

2) Bore solvent will eventually dissolve your bronze bore brushes and brass wool, so clean them off with HOT water every time you use them, (The owner of a gun shop I worked at got really pissed when I told customers to do that!)

3) Competition shooters will foul the bores before the match begins because a slightly dirty bore shoots better then an absolutely clean bore, (one problem when using Sweets 7.62 to clean...), so do not clean the bore until the patch comes out as clean as when it went in.
Stop when you are not getting any slivers of lead out, and the colour of the patch is a very light grey or blue/grey.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:41 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My 2 cents on brass/bronze brushes... At one time I got some fresh ones at W-mart, possibly Kmart also. Certain brands only (for me) have shed bristles like a dog in the spring shedding winter hair. I found other brands that didn't shed, at all. The bad thing is, I haven't needed any in decades and removed all the good ones from their original packaging to fit in Altoid mint cans, and now can't remember which brands they were, except a few good Winchester branded brushes. I don't like any loose metal floating around in my firearms (other than small amounts of lead/copper which is unavoidable), so I have to find some more good ones, Soon. I hate to bash gun product companies here at RFC, but if memory serves me right, I avoid the cute furry sea & river animal brand brushes...
Old 06-30-2019, 06:17 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfSS454 View Post
My 2 cents on brass/bronze brushes... At one time I got some fresh ones at W-mart, possibly Kmart also. Certain brands only (for me) have shed bristles like a dog in the spring shedding winter hair. I found other brands that didn't shed, at all. The bad thing is, I haven't needed any in decades and removed all the good ones from their original packaging to fit in Altoid mint cans, and now can't remember which brands they were, except a few good Winchester branded brushes. I don't like any loose metal floating around in my firearms (other than small amounts of lead/copper which is unavoidable), so I have to find some more good ones, Soon. I hate to bash gun product companies here at RFC, but if memory serves me right, I avoid the cute furry sea & river animal brand brushes...
I feel your pain. The Hoppe's Bronze brushes separate easily, the Pro Shot do last a little longer. However the Dewey bronze brushes I have currently found favor with. They do seem to last until they wear out. Some of my cleanings call for a well worn bronze brush, the other brands didn't last that long. Not only that, you can get them by the dozen from Dewey at a reasonable price.

https://deweyrods.com/product/22-cal...sh-dozen-pack/
Old 06-30-2019, 06:23 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
I feel your pain. The Hoppe's Bronze brushes separate easily, the Pro Shot do last a little longer. However the Dewey bronze brushes I have currently found favor with. They do seem to last until they wear out. Some of my cleanings call for a well worn bronze brush, the other brands didn't last that long. Not only that, you can get them by the dozen from Dewey at a reasonable price.

https://deweyrods.com/product/22-cal...sh-dozen-pack/
Ammohog, The OP mentioned finding numerous brush bristles while cleaning his firearm (if you missed it), which was the reason I made the above response. But I do thank you for the Dewey name! I keep worn brushes as well. As odd as it sounds, I have a firearm or two that are so "tight" that they can't even accept new ones.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:44 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfSS454 View Post
Ammohog, The OP mentioned finding numerous brush bristles while cleaning his firearm (if you missed it), which was the reason I made the above response. But I do thank you for the Dewey name! I keep worn brushes as well. As odd as it sounds, I have a firearm or two that are so "tight" that they can't even accept new ones.
Way ahead of you LoneWolf. If there are bronze bristles in the barrel they can easily be removed by using 3 wet patches after brushing using a weedeater line pull thru aka Gunner Tools. I have a few for my bench and three in the range bag. (some are for pistols). I use a patch wrapped around a well worn brush when using JB Paste or Iosso. Everything is good in the neighborhood.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:29 PM
patriot07

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Cleaned it really good with goof off soaked patches, an hour-long wait, and another brush. Didn't see much come out, but when I used solvent/brush/patch next time, it came out mostly clean (not perfect, but not anywhere near what it had been earlier.

So I took it to the range and shot Wolf ME/MT with not much luck, but it again shot CCI SV pretty well. Some in the .2s, most around .4, some around .6-.7.

So for the bronze/brass wool, can I use the chore boy copper scrubbing brushes? I can't find anything local in terms of bronze or brass wool. I can order on amazon and hope for the best.

Also, what other ammo tends to work well in the GM barrels? I am starting to believe that this CCI may be extra-sensitive to cleanliness for top accuracy.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:21 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
i would try some eley club.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:22 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
run a patch or 2 through it first. for a light cleaning a $2 bottle of non clorinated brake cleaner from walmart works fine.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:51 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is a dumb question I know....

Wolf changed from RWS (or whoever) to Eley in the last year or two... Any chance that your accuracy "Change" with Wolf is really a change away from whatever maker it was before to Eley and this barrel just doesn't really like that grade Eley much...

If that's the case - try out some upper mid-grade RWS ammo (or whatever brand Wolf used to be) and see how that goes...

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
Cleaned it really good with goof off soaked patches, an hour-long wait, and another brush. Didn't see much come out, but when I used solvent/brush/patch next time, it came out mostly clean (not perfect, but not anywhere near what it had been earlier.

So I took it to the range and shot Wolf ME/MT with not much luck, but it again shot CCI SV pretty well. Some in the .2s, most around .4, some around .6-.7.

So for the bronze/brass wool, can I use the chore boy copper scrubbing brushes? I can't find anything local in terms of bronze or brass wool. I can order on amazon and hope for the best.

Also, what other ammo tends to work well in the GM barrels? I am starting to believe that this CCI may be extra-sensitive to cleanliness for top accuracy.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:13 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
he is shooting the older sk/lapua made wolf load