Stripped an Anschutz stock - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:10 AM
lbjennings
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Stripped an Anschutz stock

After I built a new benchrest stock for my friends anschutz rifle, I did a strip and refinish on his original stock. I wasn't sure what I would end up with after removing the original finish, but it turned out okay. The stock was some kind hardwood that was colored to darken the wood and cover up blemishes. I added a coat of Minwax chestnut stain and minwax ebony stain on the stippling, it ended up looking like a nice piece of walnut.
Here's a couple pictures with the stain applied, sorry I didn't take pictures of the stock after stripping and before applying the stains.

Last edited by lbjennings; 10-07-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:15 AM
DavidABQ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
What did you use to strip the original finish? I have an Anschutz 1712 that I am contemplating refinishing.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:59 AM
lbjennings

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidABQ View Post
What did you use to strip the original finish? I have an Anschutz 1712 that I am contemplating refinishing.
Hello David
I used ď2 minute removerĒ from Walmart and it takes a lot longer than 2 minutes but it worked. It didnít remove the die used to color the stock, but it did lighten the stock considerably. Steel wool and some denatured alcohol also made things a little easier. It took me about two hours. Another thing you need to know, Anschutz uses some kind of sealer, filler in the wood. It must be water base because I removed most of it. I probably should have used a sealer after a stained the stock with minwax chestnut stain, but I didnít. My filler, sealer was Truoil. After about ten coats, sanding down after each, the stock is looking good. Iíll probably do a couple more and call it finished.
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2021, 05:25 PM
DavidABQ

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjennings View Post
Hello David
I used ď2 minute removerĒ from Walmart and it takes a lot longer than 2 minutes but it worked. It didnít remove the die used to color the stock, but it did lighten the stock considerably. Steel wool and some denatured alcohol also made things a little easier. It took me about two hours. Another thing you need to know, Anschutz uses some kind of sealer, filler in the wood. It must be water base because I removed most of it. I probably should have used a sealer after a stained the stock with minwax chestnut stain, but I didnít. My filler, sealer was Truoil. After about ten coats, sanding down after each, the stock is looking good. Iíll probably do a couple more and call it finished.
Larry
Thank you very much! I am considering using Minwax Wipe-On Poly to finish the stock with.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:36 PM
lbjennings

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
🪀🪀 stock 206 🪀🪀

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidABQ View Post
Thank you very much! I am considering using Minwax Wipe-On Poly to finish the stock with.
I think I’ve used that before, it’s a satin finish I believe. Poly is good and hard. If you decide to do this, please send me a picture.
I enjoy seeing other people’s work.
Larry

Last edited by lbjennings; 10-07-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:21 AM
carbine
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just finished a hardwood Annie Match 64, circa 1967, that was in rough shape and needed to be freshened up. For the heck of it, I decided to see how a hand rubbed high gloss would look even though it's not the correct finish (I like it. I'm not selling it so I guess that's all that matters). I carefully sanded off the old varnish and left the original stain as best I could to preserve the color. In the places that went through the stain I was able to match that color with believe it or not....a brown magic marker. I wiped off the ink as soon as it was applied before it dried and it matched so perfectly to the original color even I can't find where I applied it after rubbing in 20 coats of thinned tru-oil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 642.jpg (183.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 643.jpg (316.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-08-2021, 07:01 AM
lbjennings

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbine View Post
I just finished a hardwood Annie Match 64, circa 1967, that was in rough shape and needed to be freshened up. For the heck of it, I decided to see how a hand rubbed high gloss would look even though it's not the correct finish (I like it. I'm not selling it so I guess that's all that matters). I carefully sanded off the old varnish and left the original stain as best I could to preserve the color. In the places that went through the stain I was able to match that color with believe it or not....a brown magic marker. I wiped off the ink as soon as it was applied before it dried and it matched so perfectly to the original color even I can't find where I applied it after rubbing in 20 coats of thinned tru-oil.
That turned out great, sometimes there's as much work in a redo as there is in building a stock from scratch.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:04 AM
lbjennings

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Here's a couple pictures of the finished stock. Sorry, my pictures are not the greatest.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:47 AM
DavidABQ

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjennings View Post
I think Iíve used that before, itís a satin finish I believe. Poly is good and hard. If you decide to do this, please send me a picture.
I enjoy seeing other peopleís work.
Larry
Will do. I used it on a Kimber 82G a while back. Let me get a photo of it,

BTW: The Minwax Wipe-on Poly comes either as a gloss or satin. I have used both but I generally prefer the satin. The gloss seems to take several coats to get a gloss appearance.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:09 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Here's a Marlin done in Minwax Wipe-on Poly satin i did last spring:

Doing a couple 700 series right now in T.O...Will see.. the hand rubs are awesome to use, and really like the wipe on poly

Both easy touch up just in case

pipestone
Old 10-13-2021, 02:34 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Getting there...told my lovely wife that it was the last coat five coat ago

Still got a couple more to go and I'll call it good

I think poly was a little easier myself

pipestone
Old 10-14-2021, 04:33 PM
lbjennings

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipestone View Post
Getting there...told my lovely wife that it was the last coat five coat ago

Still got a couple more to go and I'll call it good

I think poly was a little easier myself

pipestone
Itís looking like a piece of glass, how many coats?
Larry
Old 10-15-2021, 12:45 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Hey Larry- Yours was beautiful by the way and carine's WoW!

I have honestly lost track, i light sand in between coats, each coat drys 24hrs, sometimes 48, depending on my schedule; they been hanging out here in the house for ~ a month now

I love the smell and the mindless toil of my hands... the wife says get-er-done

A guess would be 12-15 coats, I'm about there, maybe one-two more coats until i get the right one with a good lay. One stock has a reddish walnut hue that I contribute..maybe I'm wrong, but i used non-odorless M.S. when I first did the strip and first coat of T.O. ~ ten years ago; George if you remember, recommend not using..its pretty anyways

Thanks for letting me show

pipestone
Old 10-15-2021, 06:40 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some nice work done there chaps.

Don't really like high shiny finishes myself but I love the Minwax Wipe-on Poly satin as shown on the Marlin. That looks great to my old eyes.

Giz