Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:59 PM
Uafitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What Ammo?

Hoping someone can help this new guy.
I am shooting a Suhl 150 standard in a McMillan blue/black BR stock the barrel is a super clean factory barrel and I have been using RWS Match Rifle mainly because of the inexpensive cost while I get my feet under me.
I shot a box of Eley Target today and chambering was TIGHT! Tight enough for me to measure the Eley vs RWS and found the Eley to be much longer .9665 vs .9785? Or .9875?(I did not write that down). Enough as a reloader I said "wow"....
Question is did German rifles lean to the min side of specs?
Eley Target was all over the place and a couple failure to fires..
RWS budget stuff shoots good but it's the low end line so the consistency is not there. When it's on it is dead on then you get a flyer...
Side note, RWS seems to work well in my Anshultz 1903 real good also.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:15 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use some "old/cheap" Eley Black box and BIATHALON from some Olympic year..2004 or 2008??

The gun loves it. When I bought about 1.5 CASES it was $6.60/50.. Wish I had more--greedy.

My Kimber 82G really likes the old discontinued SK Match and I wish I had another case of that.. Ive never busted 200 w/ the KImber on the 50 yard IRON sight match but have dome 199 couple times. Shot it first time in 4 yrs this week and made 197-6x

Got to get out again. Was using CMP Eley bulk this past week.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:27 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uafitter View Post
Hoping someone can help this new guy.
I am shooting a Suhl 150 standard in a McMillan blue/black BR stock the barrel is a super clean factory barrel and I have been using RWS Match Rifle mainly because of the inexpensive cost while I get my feet under me.
I shot a box of Eley Target today and chambering was TIGHT! Tight enough for me to measure the Eley vs RWS and found the Eley to be much longer .9665 vs .9785? Or .9875?(I did not write that down). Enough as a reloader I said "wow"....
Question is did German rifles lean to the min side of specs?
Eley Target was all over the place and a couple failure to fires..
RWS budget stuff shoots good but it's the low end line so the consistency is not there. When it's on it is dead on then you get a flyer...
Side note, RWS seems to work well in my Anshultz 1903 real good also.
Actually, many of the Suhls trended toward excess headspace, and it was not an uncommon practice to shim the bolt (as I did with the one I owned). Just out of curiosity, have you checked the bolt to see if it has a shim in it? If so, someone may have used a slightly oversized shim resulting in minimal headspace.

Another thing that can vary on cartridges is rim thickness which can also affect headspace. I purchased some Eley Edge once that had such thin rims that I got a lot of fTFs as a result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2021, 12:47 PM
Oldnumber7
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I found that a website called “Triggershims.com”
Has a set of shims for a “Winchester 52 Bolt Shim Pak”. It has .002,003,004 and .005 shim set. They fit my bolt. Item# W52BS ~ (.511" X .648") The owner offered to see if he had more die’s if the id was to small. The .006 that I had reduced the head space a little to much. I use the .003 in mine.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:02 PM
Toofastforu

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have found SK Standard/Rifle Match and Center X shoot very well in both of my 150s. Like all every gun can be different. Headspace check is definitely worth checking as mentioned above