Can't wear one out! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 AM
ZVP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can't wear one out!

I am convinced that after thousands of rounds of R/f bullets and hundreds of rounds of Magnums, that you can't wear a Single Six out!
My only complaint is that "Sale" o bulk ammo is so dirty that you must keep the cylinder clean for easy loading and ejection.
ZVP
Old 12-27-2012, 11:57 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Been trying in vain to wear out a near 50yr old Old Model for about 12-13yrs. Has to have at least 20,000rds through it in the last five years alone.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 PM
BCRider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not normally that OCD about cleaning my guns. After all modern smokeless is pretty clean. But my old 50's vintage SS drives me to clean it every few hundred rounds simply because the chambers gum up and it makes it hard to load and eject. So it sees more "lovin'" than many of my other guns other than my S&W 17 which shares the same tight chamber dimensions.

As for wearing it out? Well mine is from back in the late 50's to early 60's and from the looks of it saw a LOT of ammo pass thru it during it's previous life. Me? I'm likely only up to around a thousand through it in the two and a bit years I've had it. Too many other guns screaming for equal time....

Last edited by BCRider; 01-10-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Justin92T

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up a used SS made in the 60's. Functions flawlessly. I'd very much like to get it refinished though, she definitely shows her age.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 PM
BCRider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin92T View Post
I picked up a used SS made in the 60's. Functions flawlessly. I'd very much like to get it refinished though, she definitely shows her age.
It would be like giving a classy old actress plastic surgery... Oh wait, I guess they do that all the time....
Old 01-11-2013, 04:51 PM
BulletBait
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Justin,

An old single six handles age spots better than any other type of weapon. It's called character or battle scars. I've been guilty of using Krylon Satin Black to repaint the grip frame and trigger guard, then using anodizing touch-up for the front edge of the aluminum ejector housing. Sorta cleans em up a bit without the high price of a hot dip.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 AM
TMan51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Been trying in vain to wear out a near 50yr old Old Model for about 12-13yrs. Has to have at least 20,000rds through it in the last five years alone.
OMG, I just realized my Stainless SS is 40 years old. I bought it new, am I old too?

It's still going strong, and shows very little wear. By no means as many rounds as my MKI, I picked up at the same time, but it's consumed thousands of rounds without getting out of time. I have spare parts and springs for it, that have never been out of the package. But if one gives up, I have it covered.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
It's fun, though, to try and wear out a rimfire.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Sfhogman
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's what my SS Single-Six has in common with my black iron pans....not only doesn't it wear out, it keeps getting better!

Jeff
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Doc TH
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BC Rider: just curious about Canadian regulations re. purchase/possession of a Single Six. Is there a barrel length restriction?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM
n8dawg6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
only problem now is finding some .22 ammo to run through them ...