New shooter, new MPR - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New shooter, new MPR

Before I say anything I have to thank all of you who contribute to this forum. It was a great confidence builder as I was working towards ordering my rifle to read all of the information captured here.

By way of brief introduction ... I purchased my first ever firearm last October, a Tikka T1X that I put a Vortex 4-16 scope on. I hadn't shot for 50 years and thought I'd give it a try again. I was warned at that time that 22lr could be a slippery slope and it has turned out to be. I was going through at least a brick a week and shooting most days. By the time it got too cold to shoot I was already hooked. I spent long winter evenings researching what rifle/scope combination would compliment what I already had. My choice was an MPR with a Sightron 36 power target scope.

I am very pleased with the rifle and will share my impressions. I remind you that all of my prior experience is with the Tikka so impressions will tend to be comparative and I am not slamming either gun. I like the quality of the stock and metal work, both for fit and finish. Both the bolt release and the safety lever are a little light duty but functional. The bolt is smooth beyond belief and I thought the Tikka was good. I was wondering how long it would take me to get the hang of the trigger ... instant, and I really like it.

On the negative side ... my magazine release was unusable it was so stiff. It is absolutely unnecessary for it to be so stiff. I could not manipulate it at all. I took it apart and ground some metal out to relieve some pressure on the spring. I also tweaked the spring a bit with pliers. When not using the rifle I have a wedge jammed in the release to try to further weaken the spring. It is still too stiff but I don't want to get carried away. It is workable now.

I can tell a humorous aside on myself. I am also an avid fisherman, going out on the lake winter and summer. I thought shooting targets was going to give me something to do on days when it was too windy to be in the boat. Ba ha ha ... little did I know. I've always been too lazy to get up early to fish before the wind gets up but now I'm out the door to shoot first thing after breakfast.

So I have dozens of questions for you guys but I wanted to introduce myself first. All of my shooting is done prone, with bipod and rear bag, at 50 yards, 5 shot groups. My biggest issue is ammo. Stores will only ship to the address on your PAL(a Cdn. thing ... your license) and they won't ship to a postal box which is what is on my PAL. So I'm stuck with one limited and pricey option an hour and a half away. I was hoping that CCI SV would be minimally adequate but it may not be. I ordered a brick of five different types and I don't have anything after six weeks except that they can't get two of them. One was SK Rifle Match, which I had high hopes for.

I'll close with my first question. When trying to hold the crosshairs on the target they twitch sideways about 3-4 sixteenths of an inch, they are never still. I can close my eyes and be completely relaxed for several seconds and when I open my eyes I am right on target but still rattling side to side. I think it is my heart beat. Is it my heart beat? Any non life threatening ways around this?
Old 06-30-2020, 04:37 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations on your Anschutz and welcome to the Anschutz forum of RFC with your first post. I think you will love your MPR. I had one myself and only sold it to get another Anschutz.

The magazine release on Anschutz rifles are known for being stiff. In addition to modifying it like you describe, a longer magazine release lever can be put on your rifle. I did that to my Anschutz repeater and it makes a big difference.

Regarding getting ammo to your door, it might help to contact one of the ammo dealers nearest you to see if there's an issue shipping to your door. I know it's necessary to give a PAL number when ordering, but since ammo is undeliverable to a PO box, there may be other alternatives worth looking at.

I'm not sure what advice to offer if your heartbeat is making itself felt on your crosshairs. I know it's a potential problem when shooting from the bench with a bench rest and rear bag, especially when using scopes with 36X magnification or more. It may help to cut back on caffiene and try to remain as calm as possible, which may be a tall order when it comes to the excitement that often goes hand-in-hand with a rifle in which you have great enthusiasm.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:23 PM
fastguns45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Heart beat shakes

From your description it sounds like heart beat shakes. It shows up on the high magnification. My experience is that its usually induced by the shouldering of the gun. You might try bagging the gun in and then once you have a good sight picture ease your shoulder off the gun to see if the shake disappears. Not to be flippant but do you have high blood presure as i can certainly tell when my pressure is up when i shoulder a gun with a 36 or 40x scope. If removing your shoulder removes the shake you at least have it narrowed down. From there you can try to loosen your shoulder hold. The good news is its a 22lr so its not going to jump out of the bags like a centerfire gun will. If it isnt your shoulder try removing your hand and experiment with your hold until you ID the source. Once you know what it is it will be easier to fix.
Best to you and good shooting,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 05:59 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to club Anschutz.
In the future you may wander, but you'll always come back.

So your issue is probably heartbeat, and I recommend that you work on your bi-pod and especially your rear bag so that you can completely eliminate any cheek weld, or shoulder contact.

With the correctly fit rear bag, and the right bipod you will be able to get your rifle so solidily held the you won't need to touch it with anything except your right hand on the grip and trigger.

As you can see in these photos, I've removed my cheek rest and rear butt hooks.
They are just in the way.

I do wrap my hand around the grip with a bit of pressure, so this is not a free recoil set up that you may hear about.
I have ZERO crosshair movement, and when I tap my rifle it will come back on center on the 1/10th inch USBR 10 ring.

We need to see your set up to coach you on your set up.

By the way, If you don't get the set up right (and many many never do) the ammo cannot make up for it.
It's the 1st thing you must get handled.

Just my opinions.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 06-30-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First reply so I hope I've got it right. I was aware of the Anschutz lever but it is a little hard to look at. Anyway, what I have now is working and will only get better.

I just noticed my location isn't shown ... I'm in Tagish in the Yukon. No delivery in these parts. I'll have to set it up with someone in town. I'll do that when I feel I can commit to a case or two.

My heart rate and blood pressure are on par with that of a reptile, slow and low. Coffee is my weakness, a pot a day minimum. I will experiment with how I hold the rifle.

This speaks to my fascination with target shooting. I have a technical background and understand trying to be systematic and analytical, changing one variable at a time, testing hypothesis, statistical significance, et.al. But with 22lr, outdoors, prone off a bipod, and being a beginner there are always at least two balls in the air and sometimes a third that I may not even be aware of. It is a big challenge and part of the reason I wanted a second gun so there would be a chance of some small success with one of them.

Thanks for the responses, I hope things look up for us all but it may take a while.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:14 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The Heart Beat Wiggle

Williwaw - I can totally relate and find this as an interesting thread as I have this problem in spades. I am not a competitive shooter but have three rifles in my "classification" of rifles I only shoot off the bench.

For most of the past 60 years of shooting (mostly hunting) I usually had Leupold 3-9x40 scopes, however, as an now in my 70's I have increased the optics into the 4-20x50 range on many of my rifles. On those "bench" rifles I have (2) Weaver T-36's and recently put a Mueller 8-32 on the third. This is where I really see the heartbeat movement. I use a Caldwell Rock Deluxe front rest & Protektor Rabbit Ear rear bag setup (Yes, I know this is a low-end setup for bench shooting). I sort of noticed the heartbeat issue with the 16-18x magnification . . . but it really shows up with the T-36's. HB is about 65 +/- and BP is 110/70 but I also like coffee. I can see upwards of 1/8"+ of movement on the target @ 50 yards with the 30x magnification.

Besides the normal breathing & trigger control . . . I found cheek weld, shoulder pressure, & right-hand grip have a huge impact on my groups. I am still working on developing a consistent "light" shoulder & cheek pressure but the other area I have been playing with is the grip . . . I found removing my right hand from the grip and only squeezing the trigger using my index finger on the trigger & thumb on the back of the trigger guard results in improved & more constant groups. I think they have a name for that technique but it escapes me at the moment.

The rifles are an Anschutz Match 54 MS, a Sako Quad Range, & a CZ Varmint MTR . . . all have triggers in the 6-8 oz range. Anschutz obviously the best of the three.

My biggest problem is not enough time behind each firearm at the range (along with the consistent hold & trigger) but it's fun to keep learning and trying to get better . . . even at my age.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:30 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can see this is going to keep me busy and away from the Tikka. I'll go out tomorrow and see what I can discover. Nobody is going to be impressed with my rear bag ... I use two. One is my old shaving kit filled with rice. It makes a broad platform. The second is a small flat bag that I adjust back and forth for elevation.The bipod is a basic Harris with 5 pounds of lead hanging between the legs. That is a statement sure to raise eyebrows and get a chuckle.

I shoot alone and the only instruction I have received is 10 minutes shooting off the hood of a truck in a gravel pit. Everything else is off You Tube. I will take photos and try to post them asap. Meanwhile I will try to discern if it is cheek weld, shoulder, or both. It won't be my right hand grip as I am barely touching there.

I bet cheek weld is my biggest problem. I having been indoctrinated in the importance of a consistent heavy cheek weld, ie. the lay your head on the stock school. So what are the key points for going light or eliminating contact entirely.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:53 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Speaking as a sling shooter, is there any mileage to be had in altering one's body position to reduce a pulse beat in F-SBr? Conventional prone w sling shooters can minimise contact between the chest and the ground by lifting their shoulders, or cocking the right knee to roll the torso onto the left flank. Or is this only really possible with a sling?

Be thankful you don't have to worry about a pulse from the left arm and hand too!
Old 07-01-2020, 10:57 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have the heartbeat problem also and have eliminated it with less check pressure. The magazine release is a bear and it is worse due to the short release lever. Difficult to describe but I have eased the release by pulling the bolt back and placing my first finger in the chamber area and using my thumb to push the release. Sounds difficult but is easy once you do it several times. Try placing your bi-pod on a carpet pad which will take some of the jump away, you may not need the extra weight.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:01 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As far as releasing the magazine, I have 4 Anschutz models with that release and although it is stiff, I put my finger behind it with my 1st knuckle inline with the release, and just push forward.
It pops right out without much effort.

It is a bit tougher if I use my finger tip, so I recommend giving the knuckle method a try.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-01-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm on quite a steep learning curve now. Seeing the reference to F-SBr I did a search, found out what it was and discovered the American Smallbore Shooting Association. Unbeknownst to me I have been practicing F-SBr(TR).

As per the consensus I tried to really lighten/eliminate my contact with the rifle. I also eliminated the five pound of lead weighting down the bipod in order to eliminate a variable that is likely uniquely mine. The first four groups sucked and I was exasperated trying to find my form. The last 14 groups yielded a .485 inch average.

I was unable to get off the gun completely. I'm on the short side and nobody has ever called me lanky so it might be more than I can do. I would say that if there was a facial tissue between the gun and I at the contact points it could be pulled out easily without ripping. The cross hairs were quieted by 90 percent. I plan to go out again tonight but it will be CCI SV. We'll see how that goes.

I actually do ok with the magazine release when I'm prone. I press it with a thumb and press that thumb with the other.

Seems like I should check in with you all regards my action screw torque ... 35#. My thought is my crummy shooting may not have allowed me to actually discern the optimal torque. Does 35# sound about right and how/when does testing it become a priority.

Last edited by Williwaw; 07-01-2020 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Fact checked .485 not .428
Old 07-01-2020, 08:14 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williwaw View Post
I'm on quite a steep learning curve now. Seeing the reference to F-SBr I did a search, found out what it was and discovered the American Smallbore Shooting Association. Unbeknownst to me I have been practicing F-SBr(TR).

As per the consensus I tried to really lighten/eliminate my contact with the rifle. I also eliminated the five pound of lead weighting down the bipod in order to eliminate a variable that is likely uniquely mine. The first four groups sucked and I was exasperated trying to find my form. The last 14 groups yielded a .485 inch average.

I was unable to get off the gun completely. I'm on the short side and nobody has ever called me lanky so it might be more than I can do. I would say that if there was a facial tissue between the gun and I at the contact points it could be pulled out easily without ripping. The cross hairs were quieted by 90 percent. I plan to go out again tonight but it will be CCI SV. We'll see how that goes.

I actually do ok with the magazine release when I'm prone. I press it with a thumb and press that thumb with the other.

Seems like I should check in with you all regards my action screw torque ... 35#. My thought is my crummy shooting may not have allowed me to actually discern the optimal torque. Does 35# sound about right and how/when does testing it become a priority.
35-inch on the front screw is a little more then I would like 25-30-inch, but rear should be in the 15-20-inch that rear screw is putting the load on the trigger housing.

Lee
Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Lee, I'm headed out the door but will make the adjustment first. What a help all of you are.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:10 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williwaw View Post
Thanks Lee, I'm headed out the door but will make the adjustment first. What a help all of you are.
You're welcome
Old 07-02-2020, 08:26 PM
Romeo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
64 MPR

I purchased a new 64 MPR and found a lot of the same issues I found using my thumb nail I donít have an issue releasing my mag. Also I would recommend buying a Harrell tuner and start around 298 through 320 but also experiment,I found you can adjust it to greatly improve groups from all ammo sk rifle match at 50 was 3/4 to 1Ē with tuner adjusted it around .350 or ragged holes And you can get different ammos to shoot really well lastly I put no cheek pressure on stock. finger placement on trigger should be the same every time, I put a little pressure on my shoulder at the butt to keep it from coming back and up all and all I love the rifle but that rabbit hole thing is no lie I bought a new anschutz 1918 be/50 54 a week after the 64 MPR but before I put the tuner on I just received a tuner for the 54 and may order a third for an older 54 I have