Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Clark barrel fit issue

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Turtle1903 
#1 ·
I got my new Clark 5.5 STC barrel today. I attempted to mount it on my 1965 model 41 heavy barrel and it wasn't even close to fitting. A small written insert from Clarks stated that some 41's have an offset breech face. Clarks offers to mill my breech face for $120. to fit their barrel. The problem with that is then my perfectly fitting older open sight barrel would not fit. Has anyone else experienced this same fit issue with the Clark barrels? How did you resolve it?
...........Thanks

#2 ·
I have not heard of this issue in decades of coming here. My early 1990's Model 41 took the Clark barrel perfectly with no fitting. I wonder which serial number series suffer this problem? I suggest returning the Clark barrel. Any random S&W barrel may have the same problem.

LDBennett

#4 ·
You can adjust the barrel some older frames are narrower than new frames to check if barrel is not sitting down on frame take slide off and try attaching the barrel with slide off you can see where it needs adjustment! Or if trigger guard won’t close you can file flats on barrel locking lug a little at a time until it locks up. It is not that bid of a job to do it

#6 ·
You can adjust the barrel some older frames are narrower than new frames to check if barrel is not sitting down on frame take slide off and try attaching the barrel with slide off you can see where it needs adjustment! Or if trigger guard won't close you can file flats on barrel locking lug a little at a time until it locks up. It is not that bid of a job to do it
Hey Turtle, could you provide a pic of where to file on the barrel lug.

I've got a Clark that isn't fitting.

Thanks!

#8 ·
Something is not right with the Clark barrel, if your existing barrel fits than the frame is not the problem, fit the barrel to the frame not the other way. I have a 41 from the early 70’s and I bought a 2nd older barrel and it had a couple of issues, the top strap rubbed on the slide and the barrel fit to tight in the locking area. A little stoning of the top strap fixed the rubbing and a very small amount of filing of the notch I the barrel took care of the excesivly tight fit of the locking lever. If you decide to mess with the barrel be sure to go slowly with files and stones, you can always take more off but it is a lot harder to put the material bac.

#9 ·
Clark admits that some Model 41's will require that the barrel be fitted to the frame. This is not a Clark problem but a S&W problem with the frames not being consistent over the last 70 years (!!!! Does anyone's product remain exactly the same over a 70 year model run?). The newest frames seem to have the biggest problems with quality control. Over the years the production fixtures and holding jigs wear out and new ones are not exactly the same as the original ones, it seems. But..... Don't modify the frame.....Modify the barrel. The "word" is when irreversible modification are required on anything, modify the least expensive part so that if the mod doesn't work you are out less money. Getting a replacement frame would probably be a nightmare what with gun registration and costs.

I have never heard (on a Model 41) of having to modify the frame to get another barrel fitted. I have heard of modifying the barrel to fit different frames, mostly the newer frames.

If you can not do the fitting yourself then take it to a known good Model 41 gunsmith. The worst I have heard on fitting a Clark barrel to the Model 41 were a few file passes to get the trigger guard to fully close. Is that your problem? Where exactly is the interference? Maybe there is a YouTube video or a vlog page on the internet on this topic?

LDBennett

#12 ·
Clarks will resolve problem

OK, so I was able to talk with Clark's 41 gunsmith. He was very helpful and fully explained the issues. They will take the frame and and fit their barrel to it for free. Free that is unless my 41 has an offset breech face, if that is the case they will fix it for $120. You won't find any company better to deal with than Clark's.
However my goal was to mount an optic, so a cheaper way to go is to buy a 41 and mount a rail on it (my 1966 model is not pre-drilled to mount a rail); and return their $325. barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.