Looking for prone in SouthWest PA - can someone show me the secret handshake? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:36 PM
hockeyref
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking for prone in SouthWest PA - can someone show me the secret handshake?

Hey all, I live near Pittsburgh and am looking for prone matches in the tri-state area - League, registered, outlaw, doesn't matter. I've been making noise for a while about wanting to get into SB and I've had a heck of a time finding a match that will take my money and let me lay down and waste my ammo... shooting indoors til spring would be nice, but with the covid restrictions and such I figure thats just a dream.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:51 AM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can shoot my matches prone if you want, I even have a special set of 4moa targets for peep sights shooters at all my rack spacing. I'll probably start back up the second weekend of April. Not sure how far away you are but I'm 15 miles west of Wheeling near St. Clairsville.

Here is a video of my targets, they occasionally get changed around but you can get the idea of what a match consists of.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r61EeOrbdLI

Topstrap
Old 01-10-2021, 02:34 AM
hockeyref

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you shoot Saturdays or Sundays? I run a 500 yard centerfire prone\F-Class match that is usually on the second Sunday May-September.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2021, 07:45 AM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Takes about an hour to shoot.

Topstrap
Old 01-14-2021, 02:40 AM
hockeyref

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How are most folks shooting your match (prone\scope\bipod? Standing? ELR rigs?) What kind of rigs are they running? What attendance do you get? I'm in Greensburg, so pretty much straight down RT 70 for a bit over an hour or so depending on traffic.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:01 AM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There have only been a couple shooters shoot prone, there is room between the benches to lie prone. Nearly everyone shoots scopes with bipod front and bag rear. No tuners or benchrest type equipment.

If you check in the longrange section here on Rimfire Central I post results showing guns, scopes and ammo used. Over the years shooters have upgraded to better equipment but I still have a limit of $8.00/50 for ammo but that may have to be updated due to costs this year.

I feel ammo is the biggest factor affecting a 22 but getting out past 100 yards Mother Nature sure comes into play. Peep sight targets are 4 moa all the way out, if a stage has 10 targets the peep shooters shoot their target 10 times.

You'd be welcome to come get settings and try it out nearly any time you want to play. I try to size targets so everyone gets a good hit ratio but enough smaller/gamble targets mixed in to separate the winner/top shooters by a few hits.

Topstrap
Old 01-16-2021, 01:11 AM
hockeyref

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a CMP Rem 40xb single shot that I just pillar bedded into a new prone stock. I can go sling or bipod, irons or scope with it. I also have a Marlin 25n that I use for RF silhouette that I can add a bipod to. I would love to drop it into a little bit of a more substantial stock, but the factory woodie is OK but really light. I may take you up on your offer. Let's see what spring brings my way.

Last edited by hockeyref; 01-16-2021 at 01:13 AM.