Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:51 PM
rhill
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
max accuracy

Looking at getting a new VQ complete rifle, but I do not have much experiance with VQ. What would get me the best accuracy in .22lr-stainless action with heavy barrel threaded to action, or an aluminum action with the slip fit carbon tensioned barrel. I would assume the former would, but what do I know? Do the carbon sleeved and tensioned barrels give similar accuracy? Not too concerned with weight of the rifle. Thanks for any help!
Old 01-11-2021, 01:22 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The maximum accuracy Ive attained building many custom 10-22s has come from 18, 20 and 21 .920 Bull barrels. Mine all have aluminum receivers, with Kidd rear tang for a second action screw. Lighter barrels are generally not as accurate as solid steel. A steel receiver is not necessary to attain maximum accuracy, IMO.

Good luck with your choice-

DrGunner
Old 01-11-2021, 02:23 PM
mtnhickorynut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
The maximum accuracy I’ve attained building many custom 10-22s has come from 18”, 20” and 21” .920 Bull barrels. Mine all have aluminum receivers, with Kidd rear tang for a second action screw. Lighter barrels are generally not as accurate as solid steel. A steel receiver is not necessary to attain maximum accuracy, IMO.

Good luck with your choice-

DrGunner
Dr Gunner, are these compared when locked in a vise?
What level are you achieving? .5MOA at 100 yards with various ammo?

Personally, haven't been able to beat a complete VQ build between 50-100 yard ranges yet in practical accuracy (prone with bipod). I prefer the KIDD trigger though.

rhill, I agree with the thoughts on the receiver, as long as barrel fit is good. Haven't seen much discernable difference in practical consistency with different barrels from the top makers either. Achievable accuracy definitely better with the heavier/solid barrels.

Last edited by mtnhickorynut; 01-11-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2021, 03:37 PM
rhill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Kidd two stage for the rifle already, the VQ trigger will go in my Charger.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:46 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhickorynut View Post
Dr Gunner, are these compared when locked in a vise?
What level are you achieving? .5MOA at 100 yards with various ammo?

Personally, haven't been able to beat a complete VQ build between 50-100 yard ranges yet in practical accuracy (prone with bipod). I prefer the KIDD trigger though.

rhill, I agree with the thoughts on the receiver, as long as barrel fit is good. Haven't seen much discernable difference in practical consistency with different barrels from the top makers either. Achievable accuracy definitely better with the heavier/solid barrels.
Not locked in a vise. Mechanical front rest and Protektor 13B rear bag.
Mostly SK & LaPua ammo. I think youd do better with a front rest/rear bag setup vs a bipod.

My best is .5 @ 100 or just under, then they go up from there. Any barrel that cant at least do .3-.4 @ 50 or .75-1 at 100 goes down the road.

Check my entries on the leaderboard of the MOA @ 100 shooting game in the Ultimate 10-22 forum for examples:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=462806

There are some Kidd LWs in the mix which are more of a mid weight barrel @ 2lb, 18 barrel. My top shooters are 20 & 21 solid steel .920s.

DrGunner
Old 01-11-2021, 06:15 PM
rhill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just ordered a VQ Deluxe with brown laminate stock from Rimfire Sports, a sponsor here on RFC. I have never ordered a gun online before, easy peasy. Found a local FFL with a good reputation, gave him a call and 5 minutes later got an email from him that the FFL was faxed and all is good. Now just a waiting game. I will put a picture up when I get it, if I remember how!
Old 01-11-2021, 07:35 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhill View Post
Just ordered a VQ Deluxe with brown laminate stock from Rimfire Sports, a sponsor here on RFC. I have never ordered a gun online before, easy peasy. Found a local FFL with a good reputation, gave him a call and 5 minutes later got an email from him that the FFL was faxed and all is good. Now just a waiting game. I will put a picture up when I get it, if I remember how!

Great Choices!

Congrats! You cant go wrong with a VQ. In fact, the ONLY upgrade Id recommend is Kidds 2 stage trigger, attached to the receiver with Kidds Allen screw trigger pins.
Other than that, I prefer to build them with a second action screw, but its not necessary.

Post up some pics when you get it!

DrGunner
Old 01-12-2021, 10:52 AM
PJG65

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhill View Post
Youll like it. I just picked up my deluxe with brown laminate thumb hole silhouette stock. Its beautiful.